“Was going to be five stars but...”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #58 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Bandar Seri Begawan
“Was going to be five stars but...”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Have stayed here a few times and generally it is excellent. The rooms are fine, and I gather slowly being updated also. The breakfast is great and it is in a fine location with plenty around. However, I just popped up to the bar on the 39th to join some friends for one drink before we head off to the airport and was asked if I could change my shoes (flip flops). My friends were the only ones in there and I have been there before in flip flops. A definite Groucho Marx moment, so I simply left without argument. Pretentious crap!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Boundsie
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

As I understand that you are a frequent visitor of ours, I am very grateful that you took the time out of your schedule to submit your overall and recent impressions of your stays with us.

Although I am pleased to hear your positive comments for your past experiences in relation to our rooms, breakfast and overall service, I truly regret to hear that this positive impression was so negatively affected by your recent experience at the 39th floor bar. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage to note this area for improvement.

I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused to you and your party. However, I hope we meet you soon, as we would be eager to serve you better in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional comments, questions or concerns as I would be happy to help!

olivia.ji@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tarragona, Spain
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I have stayed in the hotel with my wife and our two sons (Oriol, 2 years, and Marina, 5 months old), for a month.
Hotel is located near Jing’An metro station and commercials streets of Ju Lu, Chang Le and Fu Ming.
The staff, specially that of the executive lounge (many thanks Amy, Diana …), are very kind and professional. The room, on the 33 floor, has a great, panoramic, view of Shanghai and was quiet spacious for four people. Housekeeping was helpful and kind. Breakfasts, on the executive floor, was quiet good, with awesome smoked salmon and lavish “pain au chocolat”.
Hotel has good restaurants, maybe a little expensive. Also, swimming pool is perfect.
The cigar lounge (I’m an aficionado), close to the restaurant buffet, has a large selection of Cuban cigars, very well preserved. Smoking a good cigar, seated on one of the chester armchair, worth de price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bertomeu
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your schedule to submit your impressions of your family’s recent stay with us! We truly appreciate your comments, as you had stayed with us for a long period of time and had a chance to experience many aspects of our hotel.

In particular, I am happy to hear that my colleagues in the Executive Lounge and Housekeeping served you well. I will be sure to notify their Department Heads, so they may be recognized for their commitment to service. Additionally, I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, our breakfast offerings, the cigar lounge, the Spa, and the hotel’s overall location.

Please know that I would be eager to hear from you regarding any additional comments, as any feedback for our improvement would be welcome. Otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 night last year. The room was big (however not sure of its the same size for all room, my friend stayed on a lower level and the room was much smaller), so u should ask for a higher floor. The service was ok, not great! Staff was not that friendly!! Location was good, near to everything!!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Shanghaisingapore
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Shanghai—I hope that this message finds you well!

We truly appreciate that you took the time out of your daily schedule to submit a review of your stay with us last year: we rely on our guest’s feedback and comments to understand how we may improve and recognize what they value most during your stays. With that said, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel. However, I am disappointed that you were not similarly impressed by our service. Rest assured that your comments will be shared amongst our Management so that we may focus on this area for improvement.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back, as we would be eager to serve you better in the future. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions, comments or concerns!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I travel to Shanghai quite frequently on business and like to try out the many different hotels that Shanghai has to offer. This hotel was fabulous, offering many hotel options that you may not expect from a Hilton. No language barrier that I came across, which always helps when staying in a big city in Asia like Shanghai.
I stayed in an executive room on the 28th floor with great views of the temple, French Concession, and the Bund (if you look far enough). Offering many restaurants, I found myself at the top floor bar, which overlooks the entire city and a must see regardless of whether or not you stay here. The Spa, pool, and fitness facilities were outstanding, offering everything you could possibly ask for in a luxury hotel.
Anything in Shanghai is just a short cab ride away, including the downtown district in Pudong. The concierge was a big help, suggesting sports bars and clubs that were a lot of fun and very Western friendly. Safety was definitely a priority of the hotel, which was clearly obvious upon entering this facility.
In all, I would highly suggest an executive room on a high floor. The views and service will surely impress visitors and guests.

Room Tip: High floor executive room or suite.
1 Thank jpreston1
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well!

Thank you very much for your review of your stay at our property. As you mention that you frequently travel to our city and try out different hotels, we are especially grateful for you positive assessment of our facilities and service in relation to your experience. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, restaurants, and spa facilities. However, I am most pleased that our Concierge and Executive Floor impressed you during your stay with their service! Rest assured that your comments have been shared with our Management to recognize our colleagues' commitment to service.

Still, we are always eager to hear how we may improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional comments, as I would be eager to respond. Otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I often stay here when I'm on business in Shanghai and it's a reliable favorite. It's located near JingAn and close to the French Concession business area, a short stroll to bars and restaurants. It happens to be the closest to my office, but the reason I stay is because the rooms are good quality international standard and service is consistently good. It's not cheap but it does represent good value for what you get and it simply works very well for the business traveller. Staff are always helpful and friendly - keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Hilton Shanghai—I hope this message finds you well on your journey onwards!

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We are very grateful to know what you value most about your stays and appreciate your encouraging words. We look forward to having you back soon and serving you in the future!

Please know that I would welcome any additional comments or questions you may have. Feel free to contact me directly, as I would be eager to assist!

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This is a well located business hotel with most aspects up to Hilton's standards. Staying in the exec rooms at the upper levels means stunning views of the shanghai skyline and all the traffic below - get used to it day and night. Access to the exec lounge is good too with a better breakfast service than you get in the atrium cafe below.
exec rooms are clean and spacious and in good order with a large desk to work at. Wi fi is only free in the lobby and exec lounge, and not particularly cheap otherwise. TV choice is a bit limited in English - ESPN sports are great at repeats!
restaurants are patchy, the atrium cafe is OK for a basic range of food and leonardos the Italia, well give it a miss, expensive with rude and unhelpful staff who really didnt want the business of our group
Lobby staff great, particularly in managing taxis and other tasks along with really helpful folk in the exec lounge
Top floor bar has stunning nighttime views but is very noisy with the music - or maybe i'm getting old!

All in all a good place to stay in town

Room Tip: exec rooms with the facilities that come with it are worth it for the views and lounge access, parti...
1 Thank MartinAnne499484
HiltonShanghaiHotel, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for submitting your impressions of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate any and all feedback we receive as an important tool in our development and improvement.

From your comments, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the location of our hotel as well as the views from your room and the condition of your room. In addition, I am grateful that you valued your Executive Lounge Access and my colleagues serving you here and in the lobby.

However, I am disappointed to know that you were not similarly impressed with our restaurant selection or service. Your comments for our internet policy have also been well-noted for further consideration: Rest assured that we are constantly working on improving our product and service offerings. I apologize for the shortcomings you experienced, but hope that you find a positive change upon your return!

Please do not hesitate to contact me further with any additional comments, as I would welcome your suggestions. Otherwise, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Wales
Reviewed 29 September 2012

The Shanghai hilton is well located, close to the main up-market shopping area and a short taxi ride to the Bund and river sights. The service was great - all staff that we encountered had no problems understanding us in English. Very good level of service. The bedrooms are dated and need refurbishment though, but were clean. For example the shower is one of those over a shallow bath, and without automatic temperature control.

However even with our corporate deal, it is very expensive - £140/night at Sept 2012

1 Thank Usk-Traveller
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very grateful that you took the time to submit your impressions about your recent stay with us. We are very aware of the value that comments such as yours have in regards to how we may improve and train to a higher standard. In particular, I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed the overall location and service provided by my colleagues. Still, your comments for the condition of the room and pricing will be taken into further serious consideration. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently completing renovations for a large portion of our guest rooms, and hope we have the opportunity to impress you when you return.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further with any questions, comments or concerns, as I would be eager to assist you!