“Great hotel”

Ranked #31 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
perth western australia
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed at the Westin January 2012. Wonderful hotel, service can't fault. Concierge very helpful and food at The Stage was excellent especially the Sunday Buffet Lunch. Rooms clean and view at night amazing. Beds comfortable and deep bath appreciated after a day sightseeing. Recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner room facing the river, great views from 23rd floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at the Westin Bund Center for four nights in February as part of a trip to China. I thoroughly recommend this hotel; I had a very relaxing and indulgent stay.
It is conveniently located across the Huangpu River from Pudong and enjoys some fantastic views of the neon-lit skyscrapers. It is also a short 5 minute walk to the picturesque Bund area, as well as being about a ten minute walk from Yuyuan Gardens and Bazaar. There are a couple of subway stations located nearby too (East Nanjing Road and Yuyuan Gardens, meaning getting around the city is very easy.
On check-in I asked if it was possible to be allocated a room with a Pudong view (the skyscrapers look amazing especially at night) but unfortunately there were not any available, but the concierge did say he would give me a room on a high floor so that I could get more of a view. The staff were extremely polite and welcoming and spoke good English (which was so good after spending time in Beijing where hardly anyone speaks English and I struggled to communicate).
I had booked a Grand Deluxe room and was very happy with my choice. The room was large, spacious and very comfortable. Lots of mod-cons and it felt very plush with a massive comfy bed and chaise lounge sofa. The day I arrived it was raining and I was happy to find an umbrella provided in the room, as well as lots of other amenities including a hairdryer, bathroom scales, robes, pyjamas, iron, kettle, slippers, DVD player, and much more.
I don't usually order room service from hotels due to the prices but as I was being a bit indulgent on this last part of my trip I thought I would. It wasn't overly expensive and it was tasty.
One thing I couldn't figure out was the air conditioning. I tried and tried to understand how to work it but it just didn't seem to respond to me. That said, the rooms temperature was perfectly comfortable and I could've just asked a staff member to show me how to work it.
All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel for Shanghai travellers. The staff were very welcoming and made sure I had a pleasant stay. I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Pudong view for spectactular views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
WestinShanghai, General Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Pabs1981,
Greetings from the Westin Bund Center Shanghai. We thank you for having spent your recent trip with us and for having written this review. We are delighted that your stay, the hotel and the service delivered have entirely fulfilled your expectations and have shared your comments with all our Team members. Thank you also for taking nice pictures of our rooms; they reflect our hotel the best.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family in the near future.
Yours Sincerely,

Andreas Trauttmansdorff
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Im from Melbourne Australia ,After staying short periopd of time in Shanghai Hotel. Staff was fantastic, food was great but over all for the first time l have slept in a confortable bed.I be happy to buy one with the pillows .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TCB17
Dear TCBB17,
Greetings from the Westin Bund Center Shanghai - thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to know that you had a great time staying with us. All Westin products are for sale through our Business Center.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. We wish you safe travels.
Yours Sincerely,

Andreas Trauttmansdorff
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed in a corner suite,had good views of the Bund and City. Loved the pool and the spa area.Room was very nice and functional. Short walk to most tourist spots and shopping.Service was good and the staff went out of here way to please.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nukenriles
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Spent my last 8 days in Shanghai at the Westin Bund after living in a serviced apartment for the past couple of months! I was upgraded to a corner room in the Crown Tower and even though you can clearly see the "wear and tear" in the room and furnishings, I had a comfortable stay, a great Bund view and the service was wonderful. From the Asst Reservations Manager to the Dutch (?) Manager at the Breakfast Buffet (always so kind and thoughtful-got my capers in the morning and ensured the bread pudding was edible!). Everyone I encountered front and back of the house demonstrated exemplary customer service!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The first thing you'll notice is the location, this Westin is right in the heart of Puxi and just a short walk from the Bund, home to a number of great restaurants, bars and general hotspots. The facility itself is beautiful and very well kept with comfortable rooms, sprawling common areas dotted with comfortable seating and an attentive, well trained staff. We were only able to stay for a night but I have been to this Westin on a number of other occasions strictly for the brunch. If you have the time, by all means make the effort to attend the Sunday Champagne Brunch. It is a little on the pricey side but is by all means worth it, with a selection of seafood, American and Chinese delicacies paired with a constant flow of Veuve Clicquot champagne ending with an enormous selection of chocolates and desserts.

We missed the Sunday brunch, unfortunately, and had the more simple fare of the morning brunch on Monday, it was still delicious with plenty to offer. The workout facilities have equipment that is a little dated but they are well maintained and there are enough of them that we didn't have to wait for a machine. The room itself was well stocked and comfortable and ours featured a view of the city, the Bund and the river. We had received some vouchers for breakfast and for refreshments but didn't have enough time to sample everything. The staff was helpful and responsive, bringing ice to our room when we decided on a private nightcap within minutes of calling and allowing us a late check-out to coincide with our departure flights. All of this coupled with free WiFi and I can't wait to go back, next time staying over for the Sunday morning brunch...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here for a 3 nights in December and was so satisfied I am returning next week for longer stay. I was upgraded to a Crown Studio and greeted courteously and by name when i returned to the hotel from a meeting. Having arrived from a similarly priced shoebox-sized dump in Hong Kong, i was delighted with the size and space of the studio. I had no trouble with WIFi.

I especially liked the healthy cuisine room service options and the food in the Crystal Garden. Room service was fast and friendly with HOT food delivered - not always the case even in the best hotels. Since I travel to Shanghai frequently, I intend to make this my home-away from home.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business