“My home from home”

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai
Ranked #41 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I travel to Shanghai regularly on business and typically spend 100 room nights a year in Shanghai. I've sampled several hotels in the downtown area but much prefer the Westin. The rooms are very generous, quiet, and the beds are very comfortable. The staff are very friendly and efficient. Superb leisure facilities and in house Banyan Tree Spa is excellent although expensive. Wide selection of inhouse restaurants are fairly expensive and quality can be so-so. Prego, the Italian restaurant, is my favourite. However, there are many excellent restaurants in the area to suit all tastes/budgets.
Good selection of TV channels although a couple of the movie channels often give poor quality reception. For business users, the business centre is well equipped although wireless access is very slow (wire connection is better but attracts a daily fee). There aren't enough lifts so during busy times it can take a while to get to the ground floor.
The executive lounge is very comfortable and a nice place to spend an hour at the end of the working day.

2  Thank Jefferon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,159)

Reviewed 19 June 2008

I've had 3 stays at the Westin Shanghai over the past 3 weeks. My first visits to Shanghai. The only reason I'm not giving the top rating is that - for the same rate - the room size can vary tremendously. My first room was good sized... certainly no complaints. The 2nd one - and granted that stay was one night only - was tiny... very tiny... and the 3rd room was MASSIVE! I'm not sure how this happened because I wasn't upgraded and paid the same rate each time.

Check in was slow the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time, someone met me as I walked in the front door and escorted me directly to an available receptionist. Very swift.

Rooms were well appointed, extremely comfortable, a/c worked fine, and the bathrooms were quite large with separate bath and shower.

Breakfast in the main coffee shop on the main level is average - and VERY crowded. Some food and plates/bowls were not replenished very quickly either.
Breakfast in the Executive lounge was the opposite... peaceful, quiet, uncrowded, and with great selection.
Room service was good quality.
Evening options in the executive lounge were plentiful and the atmosphere relaxing.

The gym is excellent and large. Complete Cybex weight machines plus free weights and dumbells plus a cardio gym with about 6 Precor ellipticals (newer ones), about 10 treadmills as well as a stairmaster and numerous recumbant and standard bikes. All in good shape and with a TV for each. The gym is also open flexible hours.

Rooms in the main tower had wireless internet (free) but it was very unreliable. Wired connection was chargeable. Rooms in the 2nd tower had only wired connection for a fee.

My only other complaint besides the size of the one room is that the TV was very erratic. It would frequently black out, and on the last day of my stay it did so and it never recovered.

Check out was pretty quick and the staff at reception were OK but not very friendly.

I'd definitely recommend this place - especially if you need a good gym and typically book executive rooms. As for me, I'm going to try the Shangri-La next time just for something different.

2  Thank j889814672
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Stayed at this hotel for three weeks in May/June. Very convenient location if you will be working in the downtown area near Xintiandi (10 minute cab ride even during rush hour). While I can't say the Bund did a lot for me, it was convenient being within walking distance of Nanjing Road for shopping. The hotel has several restaurants, all of which were very good. Breakfast buffet is exceptional, with a selction of both western and Asian foods, but expensive at about $30/person given current exchange rates. Did not do the big Sunday brunch, but did do the lower key Dim Sum brunch upstairs which was excellent. Rooms are good sized, logically laid out, and well appointed. The fitness center is very good - lots of cardio equipment and a separate machine/free weights room. The Banyan Tree spa is to die for. Fantastic massages, but a bit pricey by local standards.

1  Thank growler69
Reviewed 31 May 2008

Great Hotel. Wonderful Staff. The rooms are luxurious. Good bathroom products, flat screen television, subtle but lovely decor and furniture.

3 good restaurants. Expensive compared to local restaurants, but very nice.

Hotel Reception/Bar is interesting, but beautiful.

Very near to all sights.

Would highly reccommend.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 16 May 2008

This was the last stop on our 2-week independent tour of China. The hotel is a very attractive property and we were upgraded, based on Starwood gold status, to a junior suite in the Grand Tower, even though we were using points. We also obtained executive lounge privileges by using an additional 2,750 points per night for 3 nights. This was well worth it since breakfast in the hotel restaurant was quite expensive. We had a beautiful room and spacious, modern bathroom. The check-in was not particularly friendly and I found that the English skills of the Service Express staff were somewhat lacking. We checked out in the executive lounge and I discovered that I had left my ATM card in the machine in the hotel lobby the night before. The staff could not have been more helpful, including placing a call to the US for me to contact my bank (at no cost to me) and following up with me by email after we departed. The card was not found but I suffered no loss. The hotel is a short walk from the Bund and therefore has a prized location. I would recommend this hotel not only for its location and well-appointed rooms but also the dedicated and responsive staff in the executive lounge. There is also an attractive pool but I never had time to use it. If anyone is interested, we took a very worthwhile walking tour led by Dvir Bar-Gal, an Israeli journalist, on the history of Jews in Shanghai [-]

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCRE
Reviewed 13 May 2008

stayed here for a weekend - good business hotel in decent location close to the Bund - check in was fine - nearly all staff had passable English - room was nice, good size and very clean with big walk in shower and stand alone tub - food was ok - had the lunch buffet and then breakfast to the room - both ok for western food in a chinese city - made the most of the hotel car; taxi's are a complete nightmare so its worth every cent to have the hotel car instead of getting lost,ripped off, robbed etc - overall good standard hotel for good standard rate

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We checked in to the Shanghai Westin and it was as impressive as the Westin Hotel in Beijing. The sitting room/office, bath and bedroom were elegant and comfortable. We took a quick inventory of the amenities and discovered more toiletries than usually offered in a hotel. Slippers and robes, and an umbrella were also available.

We had free time before dinner and since the hotel is centrally located on the Bund, a group of us decided to walk down to Nanjing Road, the pedestrian zone. Here you find many of the famous stores like Peloman, Hensen's Suit, Peng Street, Hongxiang Ladies Apparel, Mankton, Renli Fashion, Long and Feng Traditional Chinese Clothes, Heming, Lan Tang, Bobu Leather Shoes, Shengxifu's caps and Zhangxiaoquan' s Cissors. We walked past the department stores and restaurants. We wanted to get the flavor of the district. We were just rubbernecking... and fending off the vendors who wanted to sell you flashing wheels to clip on your shoes and glide along the street. At my age I am out of the gliding business.

Dinner was quite cosmopolitan. We had western and oriental choices and the International fare for the evening was South African. A nice change, a nice choice.

• Stayed: April 2008