“Work-Out Room What a Concept: a first for me”

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai
Ranked #39 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I stayed at the West Bund for 3 nights for business. I was upgraded to a "work out room" because of my SPG status. I thought that meant I would get a room on the fitness center floor which would have been convenient. When I opened the room door I saw work out equipment in the living room, then when I walked into the bedroom I was surprised to find a full size treadmill next to the bed. At first I thought it was a bit tacky and over the top but after unpacking I stretched out, opened the drapes to view the city, and knocked out 5K on the treadmill in my own room. Awesome totally awesome. I worked out 2 of the 3 nights I was there and it was extremely convenient to have a gym in your own room.

Aside from the gym, the room, bathroom, living, TV's, bed, etc. were very nice and comfortable.

My only complaint is the food at the hotel was horrible. We had breakfast, lunch and one dinner all for business. The meals were not good. Luckily, you have some excellent restaurants nearby just ask the concierge.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Ellie_Cao, Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2010

We are very glad that you enjoyed Westin Workout Room. Westin is very considerate in helping guests keep fit on the road. Besides Workout Room, Westin Bund Center Shanghai also provides an exciting RUN Westin program that every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning in-house guest can participate in a one-hour guided running tour along the Bund for free.

As for the food, we feel sorry that our restaurants did not meet your expectation. We welcome your suggestions to help us improve.

Thank you very much for your comments!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,133)

Reviewed 17 December 2010

Hotels in Asia are typically way better than those in North America - this Westin isn't.

Typically, the service is better in Asia and they are more accomodating - not here. There are rules everywhere you turn and personal service is out the window. The manager of this hotel has done a great job of drilling the rules into every employee and they stick to them!

The internet is slow, room temperatures fluctuate uncontrollably (and the thermostat is just a playtoy). The fitness center is oddly laid out with free weights and machines on a mezzanine over the lobby on a separate floor from the cardio equipment.

Pros
I am typically in Shanghai on business - so I haven't spent much time walking around the hotel - I'm told it is excellently positioned in the city for touristy walkabouts. The buffet in the main lobby is huge and well managed.

The Banyon Tree spa is good - but expensive. I was given a certificate for a discount that wasn't honored.

On the balance, I'm going to look for somewhere else to stay and see whether I'm being too critical....I don't think so.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Good central hotel with a lot of music in the loby, stylish bathrooms and rooms, spacious lobby, excellent food, i was on a conference and liked the hotel, the staff is friendly and accomodative, the opera in the lobby was good, they have a nice gym and a good suana. i would'nt mind staying in the hotel again, its nice and good. Travellers with children can enjoy amminities as well as there is a lot of spacious areas where children can play. for business travellers yes its the place. Good lighting in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank zeeshankarimi
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We had the chance to spend 3 nights in Nov 2010. Location of this hotel is quite good. In Shanghai you can get a cab almost everywhere since there are tons. The closest subway st is a 10 min walk. We ate at night, a little expensive but not as bad. Internet service is 25 USD per 24 hrs, so be prepared to pay this amount. Staff is great, they did a great job. The lobby is gorgeous! Breakfast is very nice and complete. We had a great time.

The room was perfect and had a great view. Very roomy with an independent room and business desk with a fax machine which I never used. In the closet we found umbrellas which was quite good for rainy days.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank euribe
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This is one of star wood hotel chain and I really enjoyed my days in there. It was very easy to get to the down towns (approx. 20~30 mins by car) and nice restaurants as well. On the top of it, their rooms were great great execellent and its view from the room was also fantastic. (Stayed on 21F).
I mostly used the Executive lounge which is on the 5th fl. and they have great dimsums and nice fresh fruits. One of the most incredible thing is Ban Yan Tree spa though their price is also one of the highest but i have to admit that I really had very relaxing time with greatest service ever.
What else you care? Nice view, good service, great foods, easy traffic, cozy bars..
Just go here. Trust them.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank seouller
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I had a great time in Shanghai and this hotel was right in the center of it all. It is walkable to the Yu Gardens and the Bund. Fairly close (4 blocks) to the 2 and 10 subway lines. Cab right from the Shanghai station was 20 Yuan. The only draw back was that there was not a shuttle to the Pudong Airport and taking a taxi would cost about 150 yuan.

The rooms are not big, but good enough space for two people. I am a SPG member so got the SPG floor. There were four bottles of water and fruits in the room complimentary for the guests ( a very nice touch). Was also given free wireless internet access for 24 hours.

Really like the hotel and lives up to the Westin standards.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank venicegirl05
Reviewed 24 October 2010

During my stay of four days, an externel hard drive and USB mobile charger was stolen from the room. After putting up the issue with hotel they said we will check but as expected they came back saying they dont suspect anybody from their staff took it, they asked me to go to police station to lounge the complain and that is what they could do. I dont recommend this hotel for stay as this incidence although was not high costing it would be very troublesome if any of your critical instrument, like usb or any such thing is stolen it will be a great trouble.
So be careful when you want to choose a hotel in shanghai

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank prafulnc
Ellie_Cao, Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

We are very disappointed to read about your experience outlined in your on-line posting. Despite our sincere efforts including immediate assistance from senior management, proactive contact with and involvement of the local police to investigate your claims, the subsequent offer to accompany you to the police station to file an official complaint which, you chose to decline, we have been unable to find evidence of wrong doing by any associate in the hotel. The hotel has conducted an extensive review of CCTV files along with one on one interviews with all associates identified as having had access to your room for regular housekeeping duties. We are encouraged to learn however that the cash which was also contained in the bag along with your charger and hard drive was not touched. The housekeeping department has found a white 1.8GB thumb drive and a white T-shirt when cleaning your room after your departure and if these items are yours, we will gladly arrange for them to be delivered to a mailing address of your choice.