“AMAZING form BUSINESS”

The Westin Bund Center Shanghai
Ranked #37 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I travel to several diferent countries around the world and would say that for a city center hotel the Westin BUND is AMAZING! Ratings would be as follow: STAFF 10, FOOD (Hotel) 10, rooms 10...Please note that I spend weels to months a year in hotels and this is the highest ratings I have ever handed out...this place is a true GEM in the Westin Hotels and will be appreciated by business travellers as well as families...I would nit hesitate 1 second to stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mtlfamily4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,151)

Reviewed 10 January 2011

location is nothing to write home about as they are a good walk away from the bund, about 5-10 mins, the staff although keen to help have little english, check in experiance poor probably not helped by lack of english, on the second night of our stay i noticed a lot of soap scum when i accidently scratched the side of the bath trying to catch the soap, not sure how long it was there but cannot imagine it wast just a bath the night before (yuk!!!), silly green leaf shaped soap bar was rationed to one per day, sink, bath and shower that was your limit, had to call up for more on first night when bathing as we had used the soap bar in our shower that morning, they brought two more bars up and in the morning the unused bar was removed and we were left with the remains of the bar opened the night before. Perhaps a reflection on the cleanliness of the people cleaning the rooms and how much soap they THINK 5* guest would need. If you choose to stay take your own soap, check out the bath before you use it and if you have a soap supply, hide it. There was also a lot of noise from the room next door, it was an inter connecting type room and the other guests were not being loud more poor design as we have never had the problem before. The only good thing about the hotel was it had a "conveninace shop" at a reasonable price for a captive audiance.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoanneDown
Ellie_Cao, Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. We feel sorry to learn your unpleasant experience at our hotel. The issues with our English service, room cleanliness, housekeeping will be forwarded to our management team. We look forward to delivering more personalized service for your next stay!

Reviewed 7 January 2011

I can't speak much for the value because my company paid but I can tell you about my experience. I stayed in this hotel for a week. If you weren't staying here on the company's dime I imagine you fainted at the sight of your bill. After spending 20+ hours on a plan, I had a quick bite at their hotel convenience store (pricey but yummy gourmet german snacks) and booked a 2 1/2 hour thai deep tissue massage and facial. Ooo it was so worth it. Quick tip - ask the girl at the front desk for a 20% discount for the spa. They don't tell you, you have to ask. It was normal pricing for what I would pay in the states.

Each meal at the hotel's different themed restaurants - chinese, american, italian, etc costs about $30 usd. Unfortunately, I had to eat this because even the best of restaurants outside of the hotel got me very very sick. It was sad really because I am quite adventurous in my eating travels.

I swear they had a wedding at this hotel every night so don't be afraid to peek in and enjoy the celebrations.

The gym is state of the art for most hotels and even most gyms. It had free weights, machines (3rd floor). Free bottled water every where. Treadmills, rowers, ellipticals. A yoga/stretch room. Hot tub, pool with a fantastic view of the bund, and ice tub, and steam and sauna. I used this every day.

The hotel itself is very pretty full of art, sculptures, lights, and architecture. There are little convenience markets on either side of the hotel for cheaper "snacks." These are chinese snacks like sour plums and dried sweet potato. Something to try and it's packaged for safety. I couldn't find fresh juice save the hotel or in other restaurants.

The subway is about 2 blocks away on Nanjing Road. The river ferries are on Nanjing too. These eateries on the way at your own risk. And there's cheaper restaurants in the subway as well.

I took the subway to sightsee and shop. I took the taxis to work.

Have fun! It's a great central location for getting around Shanghai.

3  Thank swyzzel
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I stayed at the West Bund for 3 nights for business. I was upgraded to a "work out room" because of my SPG status. I thought that meant I would get a room on the fitness center floor which would have been convenient. When I opened the room door I saw work out equipment in the living room, then when I walked into the bedroom I was surprised to find a full size treadmill next to the bed. At first I thought it was a bit tacky and over the top but after unpacking I stretched out, opened the drapes to view the city, and knocked out 5K on the treadmill in my own room. Awesome totally awesome. I worked out 2 of the 3 nights I was there and it was extremely convenient to have a gym in your own room.

Aside from the gym, the room, bathroom, living, TV's, bed, etc. were very nice and comfortable.

My only complaint is the food at the hotel was horrible. We had breakfast, lunch and one dinner all for business. The meals were not good. Luckily, you have some excellent restaurants nearby just ask the concierge.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Ellie_Cao, Manager at The Westin Bund Center Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2010

We are very glad that you enjoyed Westin Workout Room. Westin is very considerate in helping guests keep fit on the road. Besides Workout Room, Westin Bund Center Shanghai also provides an exciting RUN Westin program that every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning in-house guest can participate in a one-hour guided running tour along the Bund for free.

As for the food, we feel sorry that our restaurants did not meet your expectation. We welcome your suggestions to help us improve.

Thank you very much for your comments!

Reviewed 17 December 2010

Hotels in Asia are typically way better than those in North America - this Westin isn't.

Typically, the service is better in Asia and they are more accomodating - not here. There are rules everywhere you turn and personal service is out the window. The manager of this hotel has done a great job of drilling the rules into every employee and they stick to them!

The internet is slow, room temperatures fluctuate uncontrollably (and the thermostat is just a playtoy). The fitness center is oddly laid out with free weights and machines on a mezzanine over the lobby on a separate floor from the cardio equipment.

Pros
I am typically in Shanghai on business - so I haven't spent much time walking around the hotel - I'm told it is excellently positioned in the city for touristy walkabouts. The buffet in the main lobby is huge and well managed.

The Banyon Tree spa is good - but expensive. I was given a certificate for a discount that wasn't honored.

On the balance, I'm going to look for somewhere else to stay and see whether I'm being too critical....I don't think so.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Good central hotel with a lot of music in the loby, stylish bathrooms and rooms, spacious lobby, excellent food, i was on a conference and liked the hotel, the staff is friendly and accomodative, the opera in the lobby was good, they have a nice gym and a good suana. i would'nt mind staying in the hotel again, its nice and good. Travellers with children can enjoy amminities as well as there is a lot of spacious areas where children can play. for business travellers yes its the place. Good lighting in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank zeeshankarimi
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We had the chance to spend 3 nights in Nov 2010. Location of this hotel is quite good. In Shanghai you can get a cab almost everywhere since there are tons. The closest subway st is a 10 min walk. We ate at night, a little expensive but not as bad. Internet service is 25 USD per 24 hrs, so be prepared to pay this amount. Staff is great, they did a great job. The lobby is gorgeous! Breakfast is very nice and complete. We had a great time.

The room was perfect and had a great view. Very roomy with an independent room and business desk with a fax machine which I never used. In the closet we found umbrellas which was quite good for rainy days.

• Stayed: November 2010