“A Hotel restaurent is not a fast food shop”

Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel
Ranked #78 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Ashtead, United Kingdom
“A Hotel restaurent is not a fast food shop”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This deserves to be five stars with its impressive lobby, (reasonably) attentive service and lovely, well apportioned bedrooms that ooze upmarket character - a welcome change from the rather sterile rooms more commonly found. The complimentary cookies box was a good touch. The bed was especially inviting and I enjoyed a good sleep.

The downside was the breakfast buffet which felt like I had walked into a food court at the height of lunchtime in some downtown shopping mall or was it feeding time at the zoo.

The problem was twofold, too many people but also staff who, as a result, were too fast and uncoordinated. I lost my seat twice! No sooner did I go up to the buffet than the waitress was showing another person to my table despite it being pretty clear that I was still residing, but no problem, she removed my the offending glass of orange and napkin – twice! On my third table, the person next to me took his eyes of his main course for a few moments, and instantly it was cleared. He swivled round in vain to retrieve it but didn’t dare seek a replacement as his seat would have gone. The Chef wanted to be super quick so my request for two fried eggs was so rushed he broke the yolks on both and it looked more scrambled than fried. I did speak to the Manager and they kindly did not charge me for breakfast, but this is five star hotel not a zoo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Distribution Assistant Manager at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Simon C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. I am honored to be your hotel of choice in Shanghai!

We will do rigorous training in place to prevent the situation that you describe. We would appreciate the opportunity to connect with you and better understand.

We hope that the incident will not deter you from staying with us again and look forward to welcoming you back. Wishing you safe travels and stay well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed the hotel stay in shanghai with great room service and great breakfast buffet with handmade Chinese noodles soup and European cheeses and beautiful garden setting the hotel bed was so comfortable and they shined my shoes in a very short time also the bellman was very polite and friendly and helpful with directions and the pool and spa was spectacular with views of shanghai very classy hotel and great first impression of shanghai thanks to the hotel staff

• Stayed May 2014
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Distribution Assistant Manager at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Michael B,

Thank you for your kind review of Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you have had such a wonderful time with us,I have shared your comments with our colleagues and they are very motivated by your positive feedback. Hope we can welcome you and your family back before long.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My colleague helped to book this hotel for me. I just have to say it was the best Sheraton I have ever stayed in Shanghai. Not only overall experiences, but also services standard. I happen to held a 10-people meeting on the 27 executive floor. I was treated better then I can say from the very start of my meeting. The cocktail and coffee break were set up perfectly and staff always being stand by with very good English communication skills. You can enjoy a very good view about the entire Hongqiao area from 27 floor. Also my room is really decorated like a royal Chinese traditional style. It fancy me a lot. I will choose this hotel again for sure for my next trip to shanghai.

• Stayed May 2014
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Distribution Assistant Manager at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear DD930,

We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed between May 24th to May 27th, 2014.
The staff at reception special Charlene and Alex were great. Also want to thank Ms. Juliet Zhu for her excellent help.
I have stayed at this location on numerous occasions in the last 12 months as recently as February 2014.
I highly recommend this hotel, rooms are clean, food is good the star are exceptional.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Manager at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Charles T,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant stay experience with us at Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel. We are glad to know that our staff and services help to create a comfortable stay for you. Sincerely welcome you back with us to another pleasurable experience! Life is better when shared!
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Good location impressed me strongly, the 20-year-old hotel is still fully attractive in the middle of shopping malls, business buildings and transportation. The room is small but sweet, nice decorations let it seem good enough. The last time I stayed in 21st floor (SPG floor) which front dest staff made upgrade for me, it was quite beautiful and commanded a panoramic view of park and elevated highway.

Room Tip: South side is good
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Distribution Assistant Manager at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Fanny Z,

Thanks you choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel. We are truly delighted to know that you appreciated the hotel location.

We look forward to welcome you back soon. Do let us know if we can be of any assistance to make your next trip to Shanghai even more memorable. Wishing you safe travels. Stay well.
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have stayed here many times over the years, and always enjoy it. This is an older Sheraton, still Ok, but rooms can be somewhat small and not super-luxe. However, staff has always been excellent, and breakfast buffet is outstanding. Location is also good if you wish to be in Hongqiao (close to airport). Luxury shopping mall about two blocks away, and many restaurants within easy walk. Tip: rather than minibar, go to small market about 200 yards away and buy soft drinks, etc.

Dear Maurice H,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant stay experience with us at Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel. We are glad to know that our staff help to create a comfortable stay for you. Sincerely welcome you back with us to another pleasurable experience!
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I chose this hotel because it was a Sheraton property and relatively close to Hong Qiao airport.
The property is tired, the rooms are well worn. The restaurant is way overpriced compared to other comparable hotels in the area. The staff was at best inattentive.
Choose a different hotel, you will be better off.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SheraonShanghai_HQ, Online Specialist at Hongqiao Jin Jiang Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear FredfarfromHome,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant stay experience with us at Sheraton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel. We are glad to know that our staff and services help to create a comfortable stay for you. Meanwhile, the food-pricing issue will be delivered to F&B department for future adjustments. Sincerely welcome you back with us for a better stay experience!