“We didn't want to leave :(”

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #66 of 5,031 Hotels in Shanghai
Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
“We didn't want to leave :(”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel last Friday and Saturday night with my partner while we were meeting parents in Shanghai. This was without a doubt one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. The amenities were great, the spa, pool and salon were really cool too but best of all (for me) was the gym. This is the first actual, decent, proper gym with a selection of weights that I've seen in any hotel. Usually you just the token several machines, but I would go to this gym if it was located here in Nanjing, even if the hotel wasn't attached.

Further to that, the executive lounge with chocolate buffet and view was a lot of fun, but after living in China for three months it was the breakfast which really lit up our stay. Good hotels like this usually have decent buffets but the Hongta's was sensational, one of the best meals we had in Shanghai - and we even went to Kafer which is a five star german restaurant with prices to match the amazing food.

I am shocked that anyone would describe this hotel as average, but we've stayed in quite a few hotels in China and this was our favorite.

PS - This is the first Chinese hotel I've stayed in with a decent mattress on the bed and not the typical Chinese concrete hardness that they love so much.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TobyGraham99
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It's always such an inspiration to read such nice comments as yours. Thank you for your time and trust. I very much appreciated your positive comments and I will surely pass them on to the entire team!

Again, Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Liu Zong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dover, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I have visited Shanghai once a year for the past 4 years and every year my coworkers and I choose this hotel. This hotel was once called the St Regis....but it has since changed its name to the Hongta Hotel. The level of customer service that I have experienced at this hotel is incomparable. They provide a butler service which goes above and beyond to accommodate your needs. This hotel is perfect for a business trip because it is centrally located to all the major things to do on the Pudong side of Shanghai via a short cab ride or by train.

There are also two great shopping centers that are both within walking distance of the hotel which fulfills all ur dining and shopping needs.

The hotel rooms are very spacious and the fitness center has so much to offer

I would definitely highly recommend this hotel to anyone that I know would be staying in the Pudong area of Shanghai! This hotel may have changed its name but it has not changed its level of customer service. The staff is great and I look forward to another stay at this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jersey K
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm proud to learn that we have been able to provide comfortable accomodations for you and your coworkers. Your generous compliment is definately a big source of motivation for the entire team.

As you've mentioned, since last year, hotel has been rebranded into Luxury Collection, which is the sister brand of St. Regis and delivers the same types of luxury services. We will continue to strive for better guest experience

Thank you again for your comment . We also look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Longpont sur orge
Reviewed 28 March 2013

A nice hotel close to the metro.
In this hotel you have a gym's floor, a nice resto, but less interesting than the pure japenese resto on the other side of the road.
Anyway it is perfect for working after hours of trip. A good location.

Room Tip: Ask a card for the taxi, a card in chinese obviously
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Franck91310
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very positive review. It's always such a pleasure to know that our guest is satisfied with his/her stay. We cannot wait to welcome you back! Thank you again for your comments!

With Regards,
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Over all it is still excellent hotel. I have stayed here before when it was St Regis and service and quality was perfect. It seems like, quality of the service people has reduced dramatically, after they change to Luxury Connection.
Breakfast was almost all Asian.
Rooms are still specious (deluxe room) non smoking and very clean. Specially bathroom is spotless.
It is still very close to Yeris Ali (Uygur restaurant)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review.

As you've mentioned, hotel has been rebranded into Luxury Collection since 2012. As a sister brand of St. Regis, Luxury Collection delivers the same types of luxury services and we feel terribly sorry that our service has failed you during your recent stay. It would be very helpful if you would share with us more about the service defect you've experienced so that we can enhance our training in a more specific way. You may contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com.

Thank you again for your comment and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

San Francisco
Reviewed 23 March 2013

This hotel is an excellent choice for a business trip. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, with great bathrooms which include a serious waterfall shower; just what you need after a long flight. The rooms are also well furnished, with a desk and reliable wifi, so you can be very productive staying here due to work amenities and the benefit of a decent nights' sleep. The staff are extremely accommodating and courteous. The food is not stunning, but there is a lot of choice and you are well located for a cab ride to restaurants etc. I am impressed with the fitness equipment and pool -- a very large pool when you consider where it's located (one of the upper floors). I am usually the only person in the pool so I manage to get a serious swim for exercise, a great alternative to the traditional gym equipment work-out. I definitely recommend this hotel and feel that it's a good value for the amenities provided and location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tracy P
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad to learn that our guests are pleased with our service and facilities. It is always our obligation and deternmination to accomodate our guest in the best way we can. Please rest assured that I’ll share your comments with the entire team.

Once again, thank you for your trust and support and we definately look forward to welcoming you again soon.

boston
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Although I've previously visited Shanghai, this was my first business trip and first stay in Pudong. I wasn't sure what to expect from hotel or area, but was very happy with this choice. The Hongta is convenient to local transportation and amenities; has a staff that is without exception courteous, responsive and friendly; and offers very spacious rooms and excellent amenities even for the non-executive level. I will not hesitate to stay here again for future visits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gerbs1
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your inspiring review. Your generous compliment is definately a genuine source of motivation for the entire team.

Our staffs are trying their best to make the Hongta Hotel your home away from home. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future! Should you need anything for your next stay, please don’t hesitate to contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Was here for the first time, usually stayed in the Marriott across the road. But the Hongta is so much better! Large, luxurious rooms, excellent service, great breakfast. Very good value for money. I'll be a "next-timer"...

Points to improve (if any): number of European / English television programs & bar area on second floor, which is quite small.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feed back. We are glad to hear that you are quite pleased with our facilities and service. This will definately be a huge motivation for the team.

Here I would like to share with you that we're expecting a full scale phase by phase renovation of the hotel in the very near future and we will seriouly consider your sugguestion. Thank you for your idea.

Last but not least, on behalf of the entire team, I look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,