“Nothing luxurious about this hotel”

The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #67 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Beijing
“Nothing luxurious about this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Not in a very prime location, and definately not beside the subway station (about 100-200 m away). In fact, this hotel is not within any commercial circle. Also, the elevator landing that I stayed on has a very stale smell in the air.

I had asked for "high floor and away from the elevators" during my online booking. Instead, upon reaching my room, I realized that I was assigned a very low floor and next to the elevators. I can understand if the hotel is highly occupied and the hotel can't meet my request. But the check-in staff should at least acknowledge my prior request on my booking form, and explain to me the reason for not acceding to it instead of ignoring it completely.

The only good thing about this hotel is that it is comparatively cheaper than other Starwood hotels in the city center.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HollandVBoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Hongta is well located with the subway close by and is close to business locations in Pudong. The Executive Level service was sincere and helpful, the lounge had a good supply of food and beverages in the evening although most of the beverages were not on display. Danielis Restaurant was very good for dinner and breakfast. Rooms were well equipped, a little dated but all of the fittings were of high quality. Our view of the Shanghai skyline was great. Individual care and very professional staff, Ramos in the lounge was particularly helpful.

Room Tip: Executive Floor was good value.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Here, I would like to share this great news with you that the hotel is expecting a full-scale renovation in the near future and rooms are definately on the top list.I do hope that we could bring you a new experience after the project is completed.

Thank you again for your comment and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in this beautiful hotel for 4 nights. The view from my room was magnificent displaying the cityscape of Shanghai and the river - and it was especially beautiful with the sunsets which silhouetted the various architectural structures. It was fun trying to identify the buildings using the maps/brochures provided for guests in the lobby. The breakfast was included as part of the package and provided a full range of chinese and international plates. One could also order individually just about anything the taste-buds desired! The Italian restaurant served authentic dishes - we might have actually been in Italy! Staff was consistently professional and most accommodating. The room was like home away from home and a new mattress made sleeping a true dream! The location allowed for safe strolls through the neighbourhood and along the main road to great shopping and restaurants. Very convenient. I will definitely stay here again! Linda Ponti-Sgargi

Room Tip: The higher the room the greater the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at our hotel.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

Thank you again for your kindness and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

My best regards,
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Hotel is a classical modern quality hotel in the Pudong district. It's a skyscraper with a large hall offering the guest relationship' s services and the breakfast room.
Food served in the restaurants are of good quality but the menu desn't offer a lot of variety. Rooms are okay but having old fashioned furniture. Service level is in line with other hotel of the same category. IT's a safe choice for staying without overperforming in any service but with a reasonable quality/price ratio.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time writing us this review.

We have shared your comments with relevant department,so that the menu could be improved respectively.I thank you for your comments, which serves a good voice of customer and is the expectation that I can personally communicate to my team for a better service delivery. Here, I would like to share this great news with you that the hotel is expecting a full-scale renovation in the near future and rooms are definitely on the top list.I do hope that we could bring you a new experience after the project is completed.

Thank you again for your comments and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here just last week. While the hotel is nice and in a good location, it now seems to be missing some quality that it used to have when it was the st Regis. A few points that I noted:
Breakfast was more orientated the local Chinese tastes than international travellers, requesting two fried eggs over easy was not possible even after three separate requests to the chef. I think the hotel is targeting Chinese travellers more than international travellers.
For reasons unexplainable by the front door staff they sometimes closed the doors at the side of the revolving door making it impossible to go into the front entrance without using the revolving door, something not possible with a pram or as in my case a bike.
The butler service is not like it was, I requested two recycled boxes to pack some good for packing goods for checkin of good on my return flight and yet I was told that the hotel could not source for me one box.

For a real international travel experience and level of quality, stay at another hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time writing us this review.

We have shared your comments in the briefings, so that the breakfast experience and butler service could be imporved respectively. Rebuilding a young and energetic team with an attitude of going extra miles to assist the guests is our number one priority of hotel operation. I thank you for your comments, which serves a good voice of customer and is the expectation that I can personally communciate to my team for a better service delivery.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have stayed at the Hongta hotel three times, once back when it was a St Regis hotel and twice since the name change to the Hongta. Our latest trip was for 6 nights. It is still a fantastic hotel! 5 star all the way! Pay the extra to get a suite and enjoy the benefits of a lovely included breakfast on the top floor with complimentry drinks and nipples at happy hour. A huge thank you to Ki Ki again for excellent service during our whole stay. She tries to go the extra mile everytime. Great location in Pudong district with lots of shops nearby only about 15 minutes or about (US$5) in a taxi to the New Shanghai Exhibition centre.

Room Tip: The suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad to learn that you're pleased with your recent stay. Your compliment is definately a big source of motivation to the entire team.

Thank you again for your comment . We also look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

My best regards,
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was looking for a 5 star hotel in PuDong for one night with my wife and the usual place we stay in was full. The Hongta location is few minutes walk further from the river but seemed excellent value. The room we had was large and comfortable with plump bed and beautiful bathroom. The rooms all have WIFI which is rare in China. The breakfast was excellent with bread and butter pudding available :) The staff were strikingly friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant on the top floor which was top quality although a little expensive. They had a good selection of wines available by the glass !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel. Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

Best Regards,