The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #69 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“Shanghai luxury”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel used to be St. Regis and has most definitely inherited the luxury DNA. It has excellent concierge and butler service, with luscious suites. The staff is top-notch. The Daniele restaurant is fabulous. Starwood Platinum members can enjoy free breakfast there as well. The executive lounge is cozy and offers a lovely view of Shanghai. It is conveniently located in Pudong near the No.2 subway line. It is also relatively less expensive than other "Luxury Collection" hotels.

As others have mentioned, the main downside is few amenities.There is no Chinese restaurant and the room service menu is limited. However, there is a very convenient money exchange machine in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades. They are friendly.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review. I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at the Hongta Hotel.

We are very sorry that our room service menu failed your expection,while we are producing new room service menu with more choices avaiable that assure you an excellent epicurean experience. Here, I would like to share with you that we are in the process of planning renovations, which certainly will come along with new amenities.I do hope you could enjoy this after the project is completed.

Thank you again for your comment and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Liu Zong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience here. Stanley, is one of the concierges. He was wonderful in helping me deal with a messy situation with the car service I used. He helped remedy my problem, made sure I made all my meetings and got me to the airport on time! He was understanding and gracious. A very different experience from the Grand Hyatt in Beijing. Beautiful property. Club lounge is a bit small for the number of people who were using it, but that too was lovely. Like being in a private club/library. The only thing I didn't like was how warm the room way. Actually had to turn on the A/C when I first arrived because temperature was set for 27 degrees celsius & even when I turned it down, it couldn't cool down to a more reasonable temp.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I do apologize for the A/C issue.We have shared your comments with relevant department.I thank you for your comments, which serves a good voice of customer and is the expection that I can personally communicate with my team for a better service delivery.For any concern during your stay, please feel free to contact your personal butler for further assistant and they will assure you a comfortable stay.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I would like to special thank you to Mr Ricky Gu from Sales department for given me & my friends a warm hospitality but there is room for improvement.

Although this Hotel is in a good location where guest can easily hop on to 2 Mrt/Subway line, nearby shopping & restaurant but the hotel was lack on the amenities. Example, if you would like to get some drinks and so, they don't have any bar/lounge to chill up.

The service was poor during the breakfast time. Was reported to the F&B Manager.

I will give them a second chance if I travel to Shanghai again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

We have shared your comments in the briefings, so that the breakfast service could be imporved respectively.You are welcom to our Mezzanine Lounge(2F) and Executive Lounge(40F) to have drinks and enjoy your time.Please accept my apologies and should you visit Shanghai in the future, do not hesitate to contact me at:liu.zong@luxurycollection.com directly and I will make sure you have a comfortable stay.

Warm regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Today I visited the Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel in Shanghai. My colleague arranged a meeting and lunch at Daniele’s. From the moment we stepped inside the hotel the service staff were friendly and once entering the lift we were greeted by the Executive Chef - Mauricio (Chilean born Swede) who welcomed us to the hotel and shared the lift to the top floor then walked with us to the Daniele's Restaurant. The Italian Chef de Cuisine – Marco was great. He came to our table and personally recommend dishes and then zipped away to prepare our meals. Whilst we were waiting, the FnB Director Mr Tong Wang and his team took great care of us. The Restaurant Manager –Erica was a wonderful host.
The food was excellent! Unfortunately for me being a Celiac, means I couldn't enjoy the wonderful home made pasta that my friends were raving about. Chef Marco prepared a wonderful Carrot soup and freshly tossed organic salad for me (with what seemed like 25 ingredients) it was exquisite. The texture and flavours were very well balanced and delicious.
I will be back to Daniele’s on my next visit to Shanghai to enjoy some of Chef Marco’s Famous Pesto Risotto.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Annie L
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your dining experience at our Danieli's Italian Restaurant.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!

Thank you again for your kindness and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Beijing, China
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I just post about to hotel where i am staying right now, but i want to repost about the fact they provide amazing service who compense the old room, i was sick they help me to pack food from the executif floor, to let me go back to rest in my room, they bring me fresh ginger home made tea, they go buy medicine, they accept to give me a free late checkout. They do their maximum to be as friendly as possible. The doormen run to find me a cab always welcome me and help me with luggage. The chef give me his business card in the lift and tell me if they can do anything to help me recover. He would do this kind of service is one of the best i experiment in china. Please refurb your room a little than i can give you 5 star next time.

Awesome team at hongta !!!!

Stayed January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a detail and generous review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with our staffs.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!!

Here,I would like to share with you that: we are in the process of planning renovations, including guestroom, which certainly will come along with new accomodation experience after the project is finished.

Penang
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Being a SPG member, I have opted to stay in this hotel during my trip to Shanghai. Never expected such a luxury condition of the room from the name of the hotel (it seems like a typical Chinese localized hotel name). Condition of the room is very good....almost the standards of all SPG's hotel for example, Le Meridien. About 10 mins walk to the nearest metro station (Pudian Station of Line 4). The area is a bit quiet at night and for women travelling alone...it might be a bit scary to walk from the Pudian Station to the hotel at night. Street lighting are not good (roads are dark). But it's ok fo rme as I enjoy walking alone quietly. Nothing much to offer around the hotel area.....you can find a cafe just beside the hotel (a row of shophouses), and a 7-11 nearby. Not much eateries available nearby. But still, the hotel is good enough to make me stay there again in future. I have only commented on the breakfast when the hotel's management sent me a survey. The breakfast are repeated exactly the same everyday. You'll get bored after a couple of days.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a detail review.I am pleased to learn that you are satisfied with our room facilities and would stay with us at your next visit in Shanghai.

We are very sorry that our breakfast failed your expection. I have shared your comments in the briefings, so that the breakfast could be imporved respectively.You can enjoy international shopping and a vast array of local and international restaurants within walking distance from the hotel at Plaza 96.Our concierge would be pleased to assist you to find more interesting destination to indulge. Again, please accept my apologies and should you visit Shanghai in the future, do not hesitate to contact me at liu.zong@luxurycollection.com and I will make sure you have a comfortable stay.

Warm regards,
Chioggia, Italy
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel is just great. very large rooms, clean and comfortable. Not really close to the real centre even though 15 minutes by taxi are enough to reach the main attractions.
Nothing is missing in the rooms as it should be on hotels in this category.
Very nice the gym with Technogym equipments and the swimmingpool at 5th floor.
One excellent Italian restaurant on the ground floor and one on the top floor. the thirty-ninth.
Staff very friendly and helpful. recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Liu_Zong, General Manager at The Hongta Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.I am delighted to acknowledge that you are satisefied with your stay at our hotel.Our team would be absolutely inspired and motivated by your comments!