“Well-furnished room with great services!”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #26 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Rooms on 15/F:
Spent two nights here. Nice lobby. Lots of staff to help check-in quickly. Spacious room with everything which I need. Great L'occitane bathing items. Extremely smooth bed linens so that I can very high quality sleeps. Good turn-down service. Guaranteed late check-in at 2pm so that I can have lunch at the hotel before I leave. But there are quite a number of smokers in the lobby which can be quite irritating.

Buffet breakfast at Cafe Studio G/F:
Excellent services. Fresh food. Lots of choices - Western and Chinese. I particularly love the salad bar, fresh orange juice and breakfast tea.

Dim sum lunch buffet at Si Ji Xuan 2/F:
Excellent services as usual. Nice eating utensils (jade). Nice environment. Excellent dim sum, tea and fruits. But the tables are a bit packed. Four Seasons Style Shrimp Dumpling is beautiful and tasty. Very worth the cost. Just RMB128 + 15% service charge. Cannot eat such great food at this reasonable price anywhere in Shanghai.

But for location:
Not too good. Around 10 minutes' walk from West Nanjing Road Metro Station (probably partly due to the large construction site near Four Seasons Shanghai Puxi). Despite the construction site, we cannot hear any noise inside the room. There are numerous eateries in In-Point and West Nanjing Road. Quite convenient.

Look forward to the opening of Four Seasons Pudong on 1 September this year! Love to come again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ACPY12345
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback . We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and dining experiences at Si Ji Xuan and Café Studio, but please accept our apologies for the discomfort experienced due to the smoking in the lobby lounge. We are working diligently to address the issue to ensure the comfort of all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is a first class hotel, made that way through the service, professionalism, attentivenss and obvious passion of the staff. Well done.

Room Tip: I have stayed at the Four Seasons on three separate occassions and can honestly say I have never had...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron F
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback and comments. We are delighted that you had such positive experiences with us.We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I am a frequent guest of 4 Seasons hotels, having stayed in 4 Seasons hotels in over 10 countries. I know that Shanghai is NOT a resort hotel so I did not expect the typical resort amenities, but there were a few things that bothered me and kept me from giving it 5 stars. First, they allow smoking in the lobby which permeates the entire downstairs, including reception, concierge AND the lobby restaurant, which is also the buffet breakfast area. This was very annoying. Second, when given a 4pm checkout, housekeeping knocked on my door and rang the doorbell a minimum of 3-4 times starting at 3pm. Even while I was downstairs settling the bill and had left my child in the room, they rang the doorbell. I had specifically told them NOT to bother us as they seemed to be hanging out in the room next door waiting to pounce. This was very annoying and ended our 9-day trip to China with a bad taste. Lastly, they do offer free internet service, but it is VERY slow and I got knocked off several times. They charge for faster service. Really? Why does a 4 Seasons need to charge for this? But there were a few GOOD points. The room was great. We had a premier room with lots of space and well furnished. They even supplied a plug adapter. Any time I needed anything, coat hangers, bottled water.....the service was prompt. Room service was good, and as always, with every 4 Seasons, the kids menu is outstanding!!! I really appreciate the way 4 Seasons looks out for kids: stuffed animal on arrival and cookies and milk sent to the room, complimentary. The concierge was good also, sending us to a great lunch on the top of the "3 on Bund" building and always writing out destinations in Chinese for the taxi drivers. Though his recommendation to buy the expensive VIP tickets for the ERA acrobat show was not good. There is no reason to spend 590 RMB, the 290 seats were fabulous. In fact, 90% of the 590 RMB seats were empty at the performance, and the rest of the seats were sold out. Lastly, the location was good....a Starbucks across the street (did not visit, but good to know since I never found good coffee in China) and there is a China Bank of Construction ATM (partners with Bank of America - free ATM withdrawals) also across the street. You still have to take a taxi wherever you go in Shanghai, so it was not a drawback to NOT be near the Bund. Taxis are cheap (about 14 RMB, less than $3) to go most places. Yes, I would stay here if I came back to Shanghai, because of 4 Seasons amazing service. Hyatt on the Bund looked interesting, because of it's location and great views, but I don't think any hotel has the great service as a 4 Seasons. This is why you can do no wrong in staying at a 4 Seasons, any where. Also, rates were comparable to any and most 5 star hotels in Shanghai. Lastly, having just come from Beijing and the rock-hard beds at the Grand Hyatt, it was FABULOUS having such a comfortable bed and great linens. I truly looked forward to a few good nights sleep at the end of my trip and the beds did not disappoint.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Roman07102010
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for your valuable comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our prompt service and kids menu. Although the smoking policy in place at the Hotel complies with Shanghai government regulations, we do appreciate your feedback on this important issue and will continue to work with the relevant local authorities as the regulations evolve. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our housekeeping service. We will use your feedback to improve our internal communication between the housekeeping and front desk departments to ensure we prevent any similar occurrences in the future. Finally, we are in the midst of a complete upgrade of our wireless internet service and we anticipate significantly higher speeds for all of our internet options as a result. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Seasons Shanghai very soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

from airport pickup, to registration and checking into the room, I see smiles and politness everywhere. Stayed in high floor with a good view. room was very well maintained and service staffs are very professional. Food's great too if you're busy and had no chance to eat out. Very impressive and definitely recommend this!!

Room Tip: Go for high floors.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kerseykng
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. We are glad that you had good experiences with our team. Please kindly note for your next visit that we have launched new menus at Steak House and Shintaro for your dining pleasure. Looking forward to being of service and welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Everything works the way it should at the hotel. Service was superb. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback. Looking forward to being of service and welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 27 April 2012

When I travel to Shanghai, I frequently stay at this property.

Four Seasons offers consistent service, though, you could be anywhere in the world with this hotel as it doesn't feel very "ingrained" with cultural decorative influences. If you are looking for more of a rich cultural hotel in SH, this property may not demonstrate it.

The bell men were fantastic (Benjamin?) and remembered who I was and who my driver was in order to come get me while in the lounge when necessary. I would say they were the best service element of my stay.

Location is decent, but it would depend upon where my meetings were.

Would stay again on my next trip to SH.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sdchick1027
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback and comments. We are delighted that you had such positive experiences with our team. Our concierge staff would welcome the opportunity to create exceptional cultural adventures for you the next time your travels bring you to Shanghai. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

To start with let me tell you that depending where your business in Shanghai is you should choose your hotel as going around could be a headache.
As for the hotel it is one of the best choices in Shanghai.
The service is superb, the rooms are well maintained and the amenities are luxurious.
Try getting a high floor room as the view of the Shanghai skyline especially at night is unique.
The breakfast buffet is very good and although the restaurants are very good I would suggest to go out for lunch/dinner and experience Shanghai.
DO NOT FORGET to get the taxi card from the reception as you will certainly need it to come back to the hotel!!
The very friendly concierge can give you excellent advise so don't hesitate to ask them.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible! Avoid the construction side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gabriel T
FourSeasons_Shanghai, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you for your valuable comments.Recommendations for dining out and tailor-made day trip are always available at our concierge team to bring guests amazing experience. We look forward to being of service and welcoming you again.