“Nice Hotel, with a Marginal Concierge”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #21 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The main concierge, Clark, and his assistant, Willi, couldn't seem to communicate with the main reservation desk, which showed that I had already paid for train tickets I asked them to purchase; even though they had a credit authorization form right in front of them saying, verbatim, to bill the train tickets to my room account. The hotel is nice, but bring an ounce of patience because some of the staff (particularly that on the concierge side) are not the brightest of the bunch.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed 8 April 2010

The Four Seasons offers 5 star in every respect. The concierge is particularly helpful with recommendations. We had a private guide for part of the time in Shanghai which made the cultural experience much more worthwhile and would highly recommend this to anyone. The hotel -- totally 5 star. The breakfast buffet is also 5 start. It is extremely expensive if not included in the room rate so we treated ourselves for two breakfasts and had two at the Starbucks across the street for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank RobertZ50
Reviewed 16 March 2010

After very good experience at the Four Seasons in HK i thought i try this one...... to make a long story short, i think Four Seasons took an original Chinese 3 Star hotel and re-branded it. Service is OK but the building, lobby and rooms all remind me of 3 star Chinese. Maybe my disappointment was just so huge as the Four Seasons in HK set my epectations much higher

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank Miles-nd-More
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I like what Four Season's represents. I love the service, I love the amenities in the room, This is one classy Hotel. I notice that there are others discussing the contruction surrounding the building. It wasn't so prominent when i was there, however it may have escalated a bit.

One thing i found about Shanghai was that for a city with 11M people in it, i didn't see them. Although no english, i got everywhere with relative ease, and had a completely amazing time there.

The hotel is in a great location, close to the Beijing Road shopping district and also the Portman Ritz which has some lush restaurants.

The only think that let down for me the hotel, was it felt quite cold, no warmth behind the faces in the restaurant, and I have had better buffets. That said, the butlers, the front office, the concierge, were impeccable.

The room was beautiful, all the mod cons, great facilities, ipod docking station, l'occitane products (Verbana) which just smell like you are bathing in Apples cross zesty limes, lemons and oranges. it is specific to Four Seasons around the world. I love it so much.

This hotel for me was a gem - and all my colleagues stayed at the Portman Ritz, if I can nail the rate, i'll be back there again in July and October this year.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I stayed here last week & had a very positive experience. Check-in & check-out were smooth. All the hotel staff are well-trained & sought to interact with me - at the restaurant, the room cleaners, room service, concierge, etc. Everyone was friendly, genuine & efficient.

Downtown shopping is only a taxi ride away, 12CNY for the short trip.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank nick_ng
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I was on a business trip to China and met my family there for one night. I have stayed in several hotel brands in Shanghai and Four Seasons is by far the best in my opinion. Unlike some others who say they're delighted to serve but actually hate to meet you, Four Seasons tried everything to please the customers and all the staffs were professional by any standard.

Four Season Shanghai doesn't have the best location judged by tourists, but in a business traveler's opinion it well blends into the local culture. Other than a nearby construction site, it is usually a quiet resident/business area between the People's Square and Nanjing Xi Road (W). I took only several minutes walk to major shopping centers and US consulate located in Westgate Mall. Also there are a variety of dinning options around and you will never be bored by the hotel catering.

I used the swimming pool and Jacuzzi after dark. The public area was clean and spacious. We didn't see any other guests that day but the attendant did greet us and provided guidance during the visit. It was well-maintained and I wish I can stay longer to enjoy the luxurious pool.

I did agree that the superior double room is relatively smaller than other five-stars hotels. But the shower/bathtub is well-designed and the toilette set from L 'Occitane is unbeatable. The only competitor is Bliss Spa from W Hotel. Beds are firm and I prefer feather bed cover for more cozy sleep.

The hotel is certainly not budget-friendly and my room cost $230 with 15% service charge. However, I do believe the extra 15% service fee is well spent and I recommend tipping in this property if you feel completely satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dxboy
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Stayed at the Four Seasons for 3 nights.
1. Good, plush well-furnished rooms
2. Efficient concierge and room service
3. Excellent network with reliable travel agencies for local tours

Beware the massive construction going on diagonally opposite the main entrance. Work continues throughout the night --- after all, this is China --- and rooms fronting the site get unearthly vibrations of the window glass and very disconcerting low-frequency thumps. The reception warned me of the noise, but made no effort to change my Deluxe room. I enquired, and was told there were limitations as I had an overseas agent booking done from Malaysia. By the time I decided to hit the sack it was 1am and I couldn.t sleep with all the racket. To be fair. they gave me a room on the 22nd floor facing offside ...NOT an upgrade, just a change of room. Even there, I still heard noise but it was bearable. My parents were better off, they were in a Premier facing the other side and had no problems.

Also, the hotel is a little out of the way when you consider shopping or eateries.

I'd recommend it only after construction's over!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business