“Excellent Stay”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #23 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Beautiful lobby to greet your arrival, the staff are very refined (especially for China) and friendly, rooms are large, spotless and very well appointed, iPod docking station. The fitness room is great as is the spa, several excellent restaurants to choose from.
I did experience the Club Level on several occasions while I was there, great views, lovely ambiance, very good breakfast buffet and superb service, Walter (if I remember correctly) was extremely attentive, professional and friendly. I always felt relived and refreshed walking back into the hotel after being out in the city all day...surely a good sign.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Salthillhalli
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed 1 June 2010

This is a premier hotel in Shanghai. Standards are high and they strive to satisfy the customer (you). Unlike Beijing, Shanghai is a very cosmopolitan city, so you don't need to stay in the hotel. But if you chose to, they have several restaurants.
The only drawback: I knew China was famous for massages. After a trip that lasted more than 24 hours, I was looking forward to a massage. I called the front desk for a masseuse, et they told me to come down to 3rd floor. I wanted the massage in my room, so that I could sleep right after it. When I said I'd pass, they agreed to send one of the masseuses in my room, but she didn't bring her table. So, getting the massage on the bed didnt' feel like the real thing. But there are lots of non-chinese restaurants in the same street as the hotel. The staff is competent, and they all speak english.

Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Not the best Four Seasons I've stayed in -- the room was nice, and the service was good. The concierge was very helpful -- though they charged a ticket fee that they didn't tell us about in advance. The restaurant was mediocre and, more than anything else, the location just doesn't make much sense. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere. For this money it would be better to stay in the French Concession or at the Bund.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marmaduketravel
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The main concierge, Clark, and his assistant, Willi, couldn't seem to communicate with the main reservation desk, which showed that I had already paid for train tickets I asked them to purchase; even though they had a credit authorization form right in front of them saying, verbatim, to bill the train tickets to my room account. The hotel is nice, but bring an ounce of patience because some of the staff (particularly that on the concierge side) are not the brightest of the bunch.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2010

The Four Seasons offers 5 star in every respect. The concierge is particularly helpful with recommendations. We had a private guide for part of the time in Shanghai which made the cultural experience much more worthwhile and would highly recommend this to anyone. The hotel -- totally 5 star. The breakfast buffet is also 5 start. It is extremely expensive if not included in the room rate so we treated ourselves for two breakfasts and had two at the Starbucks across the street for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank RobertZ50
Reviewed 16 March 2010

After very good experience at the Four Seasons in HK i thought i try this one...... to make a long story short, i think Four Seasons took an original Chinese 3 Star hotel and re-branded it. Service is OK but the building, lobby and rooms all remind me of 3 star Chinese. Maybe my disappointment was just so huge as the Four Seasons in HK set my epectations much higher

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank Miles-nd-More
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I like what Four Season's represents. I love the service, I love the amenities in the room, This is one classy Hotel. I notice that there are others discussing the contruction surrounding the building. It wasn't so prominent when i was there, however it may have escalated a bit.

One thing i found about Shanghai was that for a city with 11M people in it, i didn't see them. Although no english, i got everywhere with relative ease, and had a completely amazing time there.

The hotel is in a great location, close to the Beijing Road shopping district and also the Portman Ritz which has some lush restaurants.

The only think that let down for me the hotel, was it felt quite cold, no warmth behind the faces in the restaurant, and I have had better buffets. That said, the butlers, the front office, the concierge, were impeccable.

The room was beautiful, all the mod cons, great facilities, ipod docking station, l'occitane products (Verbana) which just smell like you are bathing in Apples cross zesty limes, lemons and oranges. it is specific to Four Seasons around the world. I love it so much.

This hotel for me was a gem - and all my colleagues stayed at the Portman Ritz, if I can nail the rate, i'll be back there again in July and October this year.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business