“Room Service Horrible Here”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #25 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
chicago
“Room Service Horrible Here”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed 4 nights. The hotel is ok but the room service was unforgivable....both times I tried! Dinner the first night came after 45 minutes and no silverware! Off the room service attendant went and took 15 minutes to return...by then the food was ice cold...inedible. I then noticed the glass holding my drink had a filthy dark ring around the whole glass…like thick charcoal. I showed this to the attendant and off he went for another 15 minutes. I finally called the front desk...told them to not charge me as I did not eat the meal and headed down to the restaurant instead. For breakfast two days later I called room service to order at 5:45am and was told to call back at 6:00am (they supposedly have 24 hour service). I followed orders and my breakfast arrived 45 minutes later without the all the items ordered. Off went the attendant and another 20 minutes transpired before I was made whole. I checked out today and they had not removed the charge for my first experience as I had originally requested. I was not up to complaining again and just paid in full. Unbelievable for the Four Seasons. Never again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2010

This Four Seasons Hotel really had nothing special, esp. in Shanghai when almost all other 5-Star Hotels were of very high standard. It was also inferior to the Four Seasons we've stayed at in Tokyo or Las Vegas, where the rooms were nicely decorated with a lot of extra amenities. If I had not booked this Four Seasons a few months in advance & enjoyed the 2+1 rate, I'd have gladly changed my booking to try Peninsula or to stay again at St. Regis. We didn't even feel welcomed when we're at the Hotel. Hardly any one wore any smile on his/ her face, unlike any other Four Seasons we've stayed in.

Location-wise, it was okay. #2-line Metro station on Nan Jin Xi Lu was just 5-mins away. There're a lot of shops on Nan Jin Xi Lu, including the world's largest Uniqlo, and a few large shopping centres. However, if you're not using #2-line, you'll definitely have to change for stations, which usually require a long walk.

There's no free internet access in the Hotel, daily rate is RMB120. There's a Starbuck diagonally across the street which opens until 11 p.m.

The only good thing about the Hotel is the Four Seasons extra bed. This is always the best extra bed one can expect.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lraep
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The hotel was nice but the room, service etc was just ok. The location is good for shopping but not for sightseeing. You need to take a cab to the bund.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Claes71
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Beautiful lobby to greet your arrival, the staff are very refined (especially for China) and friendly, rooms are large, spotless and very well appointed, iPod docking station. The fitness room is great as is the spa, several excellent restaurants to choose from.
I did experience the Club Level on several occasions while I was there, great views, lovely ambiance, very good breakfast buffet and superb service, Walter (if I remember correctly) was extremely attentive, professional and friendly. I always felt relived and refreshed walking back into the hotel after being out in the city all day...surely a good sign.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Salthillhalli
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This is a premier hotel in Shanghai. Standards are high and they strive to satisfy the customer (you). Unlike Beijing, Shanghai is a very cosmopolitan city, so you don't need to stay in the hotel. But if you chose to, they have several restaurants.
The only drawback: I knew China was famous for massages. After a trip that lasted more than 24 hours, I was looking forward to a massage. I called the front desk for a masseuse, et they told me to come down to 3rd floor. I wanted the massage in my room, so that I could sleep right after it. When I said I'd pass, they agreed to send one of the masseuses in my room, but she didn't bring her table. So, getting the massage on the bed didnt' feel like the real thing. But there are lots of non-chinese restaurants in the same street as the hotel. The staff is competent, and they all speak english.

Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil
new york
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Not the best Four Seasons I've stayed in -- the room was nice, and the service was good. The concierge was very helpful -- though they charged a ticket fee that they didn't tell us about in advance. The restaurant was mediocre and, more than anything else, the location just doesn't make much sense. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere. For this money it would be better to stay in the French Concession or at the Bund.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marmaduketravel
NYC
Reviewed 18 April 2010

The main concierge, Clark, and his assistant, Willi, couldn't seem to communicate with the main reservation desk, which showed that I had already paid for train tickets I asked them to purchase; even though they had a credit authorization form right in front of them saying, verbatim, to bill the train tickets to my room account. The hotel is nice, but bring an ounce of patience because some of the staff (particularly that on the concierge side) are not the brightest of the bunch.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business