“Allround very good”

Ranked #21 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Tokyo
“Allround very good”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I can't say that this was the most mind-blowing 5-star I have ever stayed in but everything was well above average and totally satisfactory. Most importantly, I slept well. The room was quiet and well-ventilated, the bed just right in terms of firmness. The room had a nice, luxurious feel to it. Shanghai is light-years ahead of the rest of China (well, except HK) and it shows in the service. Most staff speak shockingly good English and really go out of their way to serve the guests. The gym was much better than is typical for hotels with a squat rack and free weights in addition to the usual treadmills. Food was outstanding. I was there for a conference and the conference services provided were very good. By the way, I read about the construction allegedly going on the next-door site but in fact that construction has yet to start, in 2011, and when asked staff assured me that they will not allow guests to stay in rooms affected by the noise so they are preparing to shut down certain sections of the hotel for the duration of the construction.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maureen Phillips
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 8 days. I was in a king deluxe suite. It's more like a Deluxe Double Tree kind of place. A large suite but with very basic furnishings that look like they were purchased on Overstock.com. The room service was sketchy at best. Sour milk was a regular part of breakfast and the Caesar salad was never the same twice-and not in a good way. The buffet breakfast is the best part of what they offer. I had a few treatments at the spa and it was really sub par. They do your manicure on a towel on your lap in an airless pretty room. I know! luxury problems but I paid a lot for it. My bathtub drain was broken and every day i would lay it on the side of the tub and every night it would be jammed back in-unfixed. The shower pooled around my feet up to my ankles. Smoking is part of the culture here and the dining room is full of smokers - you are 2 tables away in the non smoking section. The pool tiles were grimy so we stayed away from there. I was so surprised as we use the Four Seasons globally and they are always great. Switched to the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires for the next leg of the trip.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The pros: This hotel has the best breakfast buffet I've ever seen. The spa was so good that we went back for another massage. The cons: The room was small, dated and worn. The hotel rooms need updating. At this price point, there must be better in Shanghai.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 29 October 2010

The Four Seasons Shanghai was a truly first class experience from the moment I was picked up at the airport. My driver whisked me quickly from the terminal and into a luxury BMW for a transfer to the hotel (approx 45 minutes traveling time). Upon pulling into the hotel, I was greeted by a staff member who again promptly directed myself and my luggage straight to my room and bypassing check in. This was ideal after a long flight and enabled me to check in within my room and ask any questions Such an effortless experience and within minutes...I was able to unpack and have a shower. Deluxe room was large, great for a business traveller with internet connection, dual phone lines and large screen plasma. I was able to work effectively from my room with little need to wander down to the business centre. Large bathroom with tub and shower complete with L'Occtaine products were finishing touches. Friendly staff, plenty of bottled water and reasonable mini bar and room service prices made the hotel even more attractive. Staff were a standout and really went beyond the call of duty to assist with any questions or need for assistance including directions and translations. The only negative would be the restaurants where smoking sections still exist (more a local problem throughout Asia rather than hotel specific). Excellent location close to shops and 10 mins from Nanjing Road shops. The Fours Seasons would be a favorite for my next trip to Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Four Seasons Shanghai is positioned as a business hotel in cosmopolitan Shanghai but manages to make the stay warm enough for one to remember.
I was here last week with my colleagues for the Shanghai expo and stayed only a couple of days. The rooms are actually not that great- tiny compared to many other places in China we stayed in on the trip as well as other Four Seasons Hotels. But the location is nice- very close to the city centre, the Bund and some prime shopping districts of Hua Hai Rd and Nanjing. Wasnt lucky enough to get a room facing the river though !
The service really makes this hotel stands out. The front desk is exceptionally helpful as is the Concierge and bellhops ( some of them had great shopping tips) and really charmed with their warmth. This was an exceptionally tiring biz trip, so it was really welcome! Consistent with the global Four Seasons standards of hospitality -i would rate it 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
chicago
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed 4 nights. The hotel is ok but the room service was unforgivable....both times I tried! Dinner the first night came after 45 minutes and no silverware! Off the room service attendant went and took 15 minutes to return...by then the food was ice cold...inedible. I then noticed the glass holding my drink had a filthy dark ring around the whole glass…like thick charcoal. I showed this to the attendant and off he went for another 15 minutes. I finally called the front desk...told them to not charge me as I did not eat the meal and headed down to the restaurant instead. For breakfast two days later I called room service to order at 5:45am and was told to call back at 6:00am (they supposedly have 24 hour service). I followed orders and my breakfast arrived 45 minutes later without the all the items ordered. Off went the attendant and another 20 minutes transpired before I was made whole. I checked out today and they had not removed the charge for my first experience as I had originally requested. I was not up to complaining again and just paid in full. Unbelievable for the Four Seasons. Never again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2010

This Four Seasons Hotel really had nothing special, esp. in Shanghai when almost all other 5-Star Hotels were of very high standard. It was also inferior to the Four Seasons we've stayed at in Tokyo or Las Vegas, where the rooms were nicely decorated with a lot of extra amenities. If I had not booked this Four Seasons a few months in advance & enjoyed the 2+1 rate, I'd have gladly changed my booking to try Peninsula or to stay again at St. Regis. We didn't even feel welcomed when we're at the Hotel. Hardly any one wore any smile on his/ her face, unlike any other Four Seasons we've stayed in.

Location-wise, it was okay. #2-line Metro station on Nan Jin Xi Lu was just 5-mins away. There're a lot of shops on Nan Jin Xi Lu, including the world's largest Uniqlo, and a few large shopping centres. However, if you're not using #2-line, you'll definitely have to change for stations, which usually require a long walk.

There's no free internet access in the Hotel, daily rate is RMB120. There's a Starbuck diagonally across the street which opens until 11 p.m.

The only good thing about the Hotel is the Four Seasons extra bed. This is always the best extra bed one can expect.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family