“REGAL HOTEL WAS A POSITIVE SURPRISE!”

Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel
Ranked #107 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at that hotel, as I had to do some business in that part of the Shanghai metropolis. I booked for Level 11 and found that my RFID key card controlled my lift cabin’s exclusive access to that floor level. As I arrived at the lift landing, again I used my key card to access the business room corridor. All worked smoothly and I felt safe and secure in this huge city.
The room was large and truly comfortable; I could work in a separate area and sleep just two steps up in a large and truly comfortable bed with quality pillows and a firm mattress. The room had a private safe deposit inside the wardrobe and a whole series of power sockets in different formats, right above my working desk where I needed them. WIFI, multi-sockets and good light in a business room is what I need most; it had it all. I liked the food and service at the Chinese Restaurant and the attention I got during breakfast at the Coffee Shop. The reception staff was courteous and asked me whenever they saw me if I would need assistance or how they could do things better. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised at that Regal hotel and I will return. and don't forget to have dinner at THE PEAK CHINES RESTAURANT

Room Tip: Pay little extra and get executive floor accommodation
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Cosmopolitus1, General Manager at Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your “surprise” caption and the favorable review! We surely appreciate when our guests take an extra minute of their time to share with the world how they feel and what they find at our hotel. We are delighted that you liked your privacy and the large room with all its amenities.
Yes, our PEAK restaurant that features Shanghainese and Cantonese cuisines is getting ever more popular for DIM SUM buffets at lunch time and a la carte or chartered parties in the evening. We are delighted that you liked it, too!
The most pleasant comment for all of us can only be a statement that expresses your firm commitment that you will return to our hotel. Welcome back!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We visited this hotel with our 3 children during a trip to decide if we want to live in Shanghai. We had 3 rooms at the same floor which was convenient. The service is really good, all staff is very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is very nice and the rooms are spacious. All rooms are very good isolated. We had no noise from our neighbours or from people walking in the coridor.
The children used the indoor pool a lot with a lot of pleasure. Also at the pool the staff was very helpful.
Only bad were the treadmills in the gym. The are a little out of date and make a lot of noise. Also the treadmills are placed in front of the hotel (like in a shopping window) which gives you a great view on the busy area in front of you (people doing Tai Chi, badminton, running..etc) , butI felt looked at by each men passing the window.......

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bloembloembloem
Cosmopolitus1, General Manager at Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Commentator: What a pleasant caption and summary of your experience! Thank you so much!
We sincerely appreciate your comments about the “really good service” and the “friendly and helpful staff”! We are delighted to see the effects of our strive to increase conscience and awareness of the individual. We are also delighted that you found the Buffet Breakfast good and our rooms spacious. The top floors are very private and feature card access coming from the lift landing. It surely heightens awareness of privacy and upscale hospitality.
The pool is indeed very pleasant and we reap many good comments about it.
We took your point up regarding the treadmills and we are happy to inform you that we will be able to replace them, possibly even within this week!
We had curtains at the gym and there were guests who did not like them. We will see if we can set up tall plants to permit you looking out while preventing passers-by from looking in.
We trust that you will decide in favor of moving to Shanghai; if the authorities will indeed take steps to prevent air pollution, you will find Shanghai to be phenomenal! For millions, it is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Welcome back!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great hotel, could not fault anything at all. Great service and very helpful staff. Lovely room (free upgrade that was nice) very clean. Would stay again and recommend. Easy to get to Metro (which was exceptionally cheap) to enable us to anywhere as it is really easy to use.

Room Tip: A little noise from the air con but nothing to stop us from sleeping
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Della610
Cosmopolitus1, General Manager at Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Commentator: What an outstanding caption; all of us are thanking you! TripAdvisor ratings mean a lot to us and your rating is a genuine encouragement to each of us.
There is hardly any better endorsement than your “WOULD STAY AGAIN AND RECOMMEND”.
Yes, all of us are taking the SERVICE ATTITUDE to heart under our motto “YOUR HAPPINESS, is my happiness”. We entirely agree with your Metro assessment. The Shanghai Metro is clean, easy to find your way around and indeed – it is really very reasonably priced. Access to Line 11 takes just about a 200 m walk to the left of the hotel exit; then at GAGA Night Club, turn right, and already after some 30 m you enter the access gate of station SHANGHAI SWIMMING CENTER. It is that easy! From the hotel exit alternatively, you can walk to the hotel complex periphery and access gate 2 of Metro Line 4 at SHANGHAI STADIUM station. This access may take you some 4 to 5 minutes’ walk diagonally left. From that station, is easy to go to THE BUND or to PUDONG and it costs you merely some 60 US cents to get there. Welcome back!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here for four nights and whilst I was not sure what to expect after reading the reviews, I really could not find fault with the hotel. Whilst the location is rather strange being near the sports stadium and I could see how that would be a problem when an event was on, it really was not an issue for me given nothing was going on at the stadium.
Room was clean and comfortable, great shower with excellent water pressure, service friendly and efficient. Had room service the first night I arrived late at it came promptly and their was a good selection to choose from.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank April-holiday

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your assessment! Yes, we all have the tendency to expect what is familiar to us… a hotel tower in a mega city, a bungalow on an island like on the Maldives, an industrial-looking structure along the highway or a pompous palace in the heart of Madrid… Yet, a hotel within the structures of a 56,000-seat stadium? Only in phenomenal Shanghai, only in modern China! We are glad that you adapted quickly to the unusual environment… You liked our rooms, our friendly and efficient service and the choice of our Room Service menu with a swift and courteous delivery. Welcome back!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. Its an odd hotel in that its part of a huge stadium. That means that the surrounding area can get quite over crowded when it hosts big events. I stayed here as the fair I was attending was right across the street. If it wasnt for the convenient location, I'd not be rushing back in a hurry. The hotel overs reasonable value for money but had a few snags that frustrated a little. Getting a taxi for example, the guys at the front of the hotel were next to useless at getting cabs and it was much easier to walk out of the stadium grounds to the street to flag your own taxi. The bar service was also poor. I had to wait 30 minutes for drinks to arrive. The business centre was also a bit of a rip off with printing costing 20rmb per page.

Overall, I'd not use it again unless I desperately need to be close to the event. Perfectly adequate but well short of excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NorthEastBeast
Cosmopolitus1, General Manager at Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Commentator: Thank you for your nice caption! When reading the hotel’s publicity, you will find that we feature the location being ideal for those who attend trade fairs on the hotel compound, or an event at the stadium. Our Welcome Letter points out that it is of advantage booking a taxi with the Concierge IN ADVANCE for the required time. In a city of 23,000,000 inhabitants, there can be periods when taxis are hard to come by. This phenomenon applies to city center locations with 6-star hotels as much as it does to hotels in Xiu Hui. We regret that you seem having to wait too long for your drink and we offer our apologies. The PUBLISHED price on the wall of the Business Center for a black and white photocopy is RMB 3.5 or about 36 cents, and if you stay at the Club Floor, making a reasonable quantity of copies is completely free of charge. Just send me a copy of your payment, and if indeed our associate did not charge you correctly, the 1st night of your next stay will be with our compliments. Take us up on that, and welcome back!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We checked ahead about this hotel and it looked great. But beware. There are many different hotels with similar names, and this one is not the hotel which pops up automatically and is wonderful. No, this one is part of the Shanghai 80,000 stadium which can be quite bizarre. Security is uppermost and your room key will operate the lift but only to your floor. This caused a problem as the first room we were given was unacceptable. I went to reception to change it, leaving my friend in the original room with the luggage. The new room was on a different floor but it meant that I could not get back to her and the luggage without going back to reception and getting someone to override the lift. Rooms are quite spacious but be warned they lock the minibar when you arrive and you can only have use of it if you pay a large deposit. The hotel is also very hot but it was not officially spring in China so they are not allowed to put the air conditioning on. For a Chinese hotel it is not bad, but everywhere we were visiting seemed to be at least a thirty minute coach journey away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Commentator: As a consumer, it is always better to READ the hotel name before booking. The company’s website is correct, YOU click – and YOU GET what you clicked. If you reserve a room at the 5-star REGAL INTERNATIONAL, you will presumably want to stay there; if you book at the lower priced 4-star REGAL SHANGHAI you get what you booked. It’s that simple.
Most guests very much appreciate the security and privacy that goes with key card access to room corridors; it is necessary in our times.
We always recommend any traveler who needs to stay in the city center to do so as convenience outweighs time, however, if value is of higher priority, you may appreciate that in the city center you would have paid 4 to 5 times the rate you paid with us. Welcome back!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had the opportunity to stay for a couple of nights at this hotel on a recent business trip- I took advantage of the 72 hours transit visit. I selected this hotel for a very competitive price in the Xiu Hui district near the historic French Concession. I booked and liked what I got! They picked me up at the airport upon my arrival and brought me to the hotel in a beautiful Buick Regal Limousine. The package rate that I booked included a suite on the 12th floor (the executive floor), with views of the massive stadium, breakfast at the Club Lounge or the Coffee shop and many other benefits. The first evening I dined at the hotel's Cantonese Restaurant; the food and service were good and good value. I took the metro to downtown located conveniently next to the hotel. Shanghai is always a metropole of surprises and the Regal Shanghai East Asia at the Shanghai Stadium was a much better surprise than expected!

Room Tip: Experience the unique rooms with views overlooking the Stadium!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Caris25
Cosmopolitus1, General Manager at Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Commentator: “FEELING GOOD” is what our guests should experience when they stay with us! You found a pleasant surprise and that means for us that we are on the right track. We appreciate that you liked our Airport Transfer Service and the limo we operate. Yes, level 12 is a secured floor for BUSINESS CLASS, it contains the Executive Lounge with numerous perks and personal check-in and out, a complimentary Meeting Room for 8, and a great view over the 56,000-stadium track and soccer fields. Hotel and walk-in guests frequently rate food, service and value at The Peak, often above average and we are delighted that you share such rating. The megalopolis SHANGHAI itself is phenomenal, in the true sense of the word. Welcome back!