“Unparalleled service after a typhoon”

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
Ranked #43 of 5,102 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Unparalleled service after a typhoon”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

we found a room in the Pullman at the last hour as our flight to shanghai was delayed 11 hours by the typhoon. we arrived at about 6 am, totally worn out, and was greeted by the most fantastic and understanding reception who gave us a room immediately, apologising that they can only give us the lower floors at that hour.

when the first room given smelled of cigarettes, they quickly got me another room, and then a third room as the second had also the same cigarette smell, apologising profusely each time, even though in china, this happens very often. this is nice as it shows they really care about the guest. this guest centredness shows in every place in this hotel. from the breakfast rooms, the concierge recommending and booking restaurants for us.

also helpful was their info card with shopping and attractions in english and chinese for us to direct the cab drivers and equally helpful that all the cab drivers know where the hotel is.

we will definitely stay at the Pullman Ritz again when we visit Shanghai.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is one of the finest Hotels in the world for business travel and a vacation stay, as well. It's located in the City Center close to most places a visitor would want to go. The Hotel staff is great and makes you feel like you are staying right at home. As a return guest, the staff always address you by name and tends to your every need. The rooms are very up to date and well equipped and very comfortable. The Club level is next to none! Very comfortable with every amenity you could ask for. Full breafast each mornng with many dishes prepared to order! lunch snacks that are more than just snacks. High tea every afternoon and always a evening offering that includes specially prepared dishes and heavy snacks. Finally, cocktails, wine and beer are complimentary most of the day with an excellent selection of premium drinks. The hotel restaurants are some of the best in Shangahi and there are other offerings in the Shanghai Center where the hotel is located, including a Starbucks, and a very fine up scale pizza resturant this is a must go place. There is also the Jazz Bar which is very comfortable and has nightly live jazz. Thsi is a hotel that should be verlooked wheen visiting Shanghai!

Room Tip: Always try to stay in a Club Level Room facing the City center (toward the Convention Center).
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tonyjfly
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I live in Shanghai and occasionally would spend a relaxing weekend getaway at a nice hotel combined with a beautiful sunday brunch also in downtown area. Normally I'm more of a Grand Hyatt fan wherever I travel to for work. But I like this Ritz in Shanghai and it became one of my favorites in town. It's no exception and meet all the expectations of THE RITZ-CARLTON HOTEL. I don't want to repeat the others how clean and beautiful the room is and how comfortable and heavenly the bed is. I just want to mention the top notch taxi service out front of the hotel. The staff is always nice, polite, friendly and most importantly - HIGH EFFICIENCY !!! They organize everybody in two lines (one for hotel guest and one for service apartment resident) so well and smooth. I have never seen complains or arguments due to unfairness. They also have this little notebook they write down the time and date, the taxi car plate NO. and where the guest is going for safety reason and they never miss one single guest. I am impressed !!! I would highly recommend to anyone who need a hotel in this area in Shanghai.

Room Tip: higher level
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Eva Z
Shanghai
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We live in Shanghai, but because our apartment building has no English cable channels, we decided to stay at a hotel to watch the Olympic opening ceremony on television, thinking that we could watch it in English. That turned out to be impossible because the IOC restricts broadcast in each market so we watched in Chinese - but that was the only thing that went wrong during our stay. Shanghai has dozens of outstanding five star hotels on both sides of the Huangpu River that bisects the city, but we chose the Portman Ritz-Carlton because for us it is conveniently located. We're often in its environs because the complex also contains a health centre, two coffee chains, a very good Italian restaurant and a supermarket and this stretch of West Nanjing Road is in the centre of the high-end retail and business district. When my wife arrived to check in, she discovered that we'd been upgraded for no obvious reason, and was taken to a suite on the Club floor and given Club privileges which include free meals and drinks at the 43rd floor lounge. So we were off to a great start ! The room was spacious, spotlessly clean and with fabulous bed linens, a Nespresso coffee maker, and all the comforts you'd expect of a five star hotel except that internet was 120RMB - I think because it's provided through a third party. The service at the Club level was of course superb, the views on a clear day rival New York, the food and drinks were of high quality and it was hard to tear ourselves away to get ready for the Olympic Ceremony which came in live early in the morning. We were given late checkout so we slept in, had late breakfast, visited the gym, and generally had the most relaxed and pampered time possible. My wife is trying to arrange weekly stays, and if your budget can handle it, we'd recommend it without any hesitation. As mentioned earlier, there are many fine hotels in Shanghai to choose from, but if the Portman Ritz-Carlton is conveniently located for where you'll be going, then make a reservation now.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

There are two Ritz Carlton hotels in Shanghai, this probably less well reviewed but better situated, I think. Have never met a Ritz I didn't like, and this was no exception. Beautifully decorated, splendid service. The breakfast buffet was the largest and best I've ever encountered; one could eat three meals' worth here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HampsteadCarrie
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Hotel was located centrally in the middle of the older Shanghai City Centre. Rooms were beautiful and clean. All toiletries were provided. I was in a club room, so there was free wifi, but I understand that you would have to pay for it otherwise. Breakfast was nice, even though I ate at the Club, which the officer at the check-in counter told me that would have less selection. I loved the full toilet amenities.

Service was, however, patchy. My first impression of them was wonderful, when the porter helped me with my very light cabin bag to the check-in counter. There, the guest officer was very friendly and helpful. When I returned to ask for directions after checking in, she helped me get a map and drew out some things I may like to see, as well as provided me with directions.

However, when I got out of the hotel to what I assumed was the taxi stand, no one directed me to the actual taxi stand, which was a short walk away. I waited for about 5 - 10 minutes before I stopped someone to ask. The staff on duty at the taxi stand was rather curt. When I was trying to check out at the club lounge, I was left standing at the for 10 minutes with no staff on duty. A waitress inside the lounge caught my eye, but walked away and otherwise gave no indication that she would help find a colleague who could assist me. Both mornings, I asked for coffee and the staff did not bring the milk for it. My towels in the room was also inconsistent. The first morning, I was unable to find a small face towel, so had to make do with the medium (heavy when wet) hair towel. The face towel, however, was there the next morning.

While these are really minor incidences which in no way spoilt my stay, I believe that it should be improved to provide the top notch service that Ritz-Carlton is known for.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I love this place! I go to Shanghai somewhat regularly for business and always stay at this hotel so it feels like home almost everytime I go back. I will preface this by saying that I always stay in the club rooms which may be different than the standard rooms on the lower level but I'm not sure of that. The rooms that I have stayed in are very large and really nicely decorated and bright with huge windows. The bathroom is awesome and the beds are so comfortable. Honestly I just feel like it makes the jet lag and long travel worthwhile once I arrive and settle into the room.

The club lounge offers complimentary drinks and snacks at nearly all times of the day and is really nice for relaxing with coworkers after a busy day. The best part is the service. The Portman RC team trys to remember you and call you by name when you arrive at the club lounge and sometimes even remember me or coworkers from previous visits even if we haven't been there for a few months. Usually by day 3 or so of each visit they remember if you like something particular (me a diet coke for breakfast instead of coffee). Its just all of the little things they do to make us all say we love the Portman. At turndown service the housekeeping realized I was sleeping on the other side of the bed and so started turning down that side instead of the original side. They notice how you like things and strive to make it that way without you requesting it. The concierge in the lounge will go above and beyond to make sure you have dinner reservations and request best seating for you (without us even knowing). We were also treated to special deserts from the hotel at one restuarant we went to.

I definitely recoomend this place without any hesitation and just know that you will enjoy your stay.

TIP for a restaurant closeby: Lynn (might be spelled wrong) is just around the corner with a great menu and atmostphere. It is fantastic and has never disapointed any of the people in our groups.

Room Tip: Stay at the club level for the complimentary drinks and food and fantastic service in the club loung...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business