“Time to find a new favorite...”

The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
Ranked #54 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Time to find a new favorite...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

This use to be my favorite hotel in Shanghai, not just for its convenient location, but also for its services. However, after two consecutive times of having checked into non-smoking rooms that reeked of smoke (once in June, once this week), and being told there was absolutely no other rooms to move me, a Gold level Marriott member whose points were mostly earned at this site, I am thinking of not returning. The second time this happened this week, I informed them that I would have to move to another hotel if they really could not find a smoke-free room for me, and instantly another room was available. Once I have become dissastisfied with the service, I started noticing other issues: aging facilities, with elevators that would bring you in the wrong direction if you could not insert your card fast enough (the card insertion slot is on only one side of the elevator), the breakfast service in the Executive Lounge that always had either lukewarm or burnt coffee and fails to clean dirty dishes on the tables, etc. Having come to the hotel several times a year for the last two years, I am sorry to see the decline...I would now say I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelhui
Alvin J, Quality Manager at The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time for bringing this to our attention, and I feel very sorry about your unpleasant experience. It must have been frustrating to get into a non-smoking room which reeked of smoke; I have addressed this seriously with my team and I promise you that we will get this improved. We truly appreciate your loyalty and I hope this inconvenience caused would not damage your consistently good impression on the Ritz-Carlton. Please do contact me directly via alvin.jia@ritzcarlton.com should your travel plans ever bring you back to Shanghai and I would personally assure an enjoyable and flawless stay for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

The staff at the portman is aces. They have done a great job making an older building feel current (except for the low ceilings...). I was lucky enough to be on the upper floors due to our corporate rate, so I had access to the always-open lounge. What a great spot to relax and unwind!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ksetzer
Hartsdale, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

Although you might enter a beautiful lobby, do not be fooled. After a grueling flight from Yichang, we just wanted to unload our bags and walk around. However we were in a state of shock when we saw the safety deposit box. Have seen better at the Best Western. It was old and broken. Three maintenance people had to come to our room to fix it and that cost us an hour. After our stay in the Ritz in Beijing, we were expecting the same quality but there were. fewer amenities and the room was not as nice. It seems that a renovation of the rooms is long overdue.

The breakfast buffet was good but not as good as the one in Beijing. The dinner buffet was satisfactory.

On the other hand, the staff was very nice. However some of them could barely understand English. The hotel location was excellent and very close to the metro.

Special thanks to Apple at the concierge desk - she really gave us good advice on getting around and shopping.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

The Portman Ritz Carlton hotel in Shanghai is superb! I was a little bit nervous on my first trip to China, but felt right at home in this hotel. The staff is so friendly and helpful. I want to put in a special recognition and thanks to Charlie Zha, hotel manager, Kobe from the bell staff, and Tony from the wait staff.

The room are spacious, very clean, and very comfortable. The food was fantastic! There is a lovely swimming pool (partly indoors and partly outdoors). There is also a small supermarket nearby, as well as shops and restaurants.

I felt like "royalty" while I was here and hope you will, too!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

As a native shanghainess, I love this hotel most. It's located in Jing'An district and it is the very center of Shanghai City. The hotel is 10-minute walk from the nearest metro station. I have been the member of that hotel for more than 5 years and this hotel makes me feel home. There are many good restaurants inside the hotel, from Chinese style to Italian style. I would recommend this hotel for business purpose.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We loved this room and the hotel. Breakfast buffet was to die for. Area surrounding is odd, high end shops that were empty next to small business shacks. Traffic too busy to cross the street most times. They recommended taking a taxi to get across the street. Seriously. Love Shanghia though would go back again in a second...Wouldn't recommend traveling in July/August though as it was incredibly hot and full of Chinese tourists. Pool was so so and hot tub wasn't hot but otherwise we loved the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Ganzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

The location was very excellent among the downtown area of Shanghai, you can find lots of interesting and lovely places around.
The room was just in ordinary status since it was the first Ritz-Carlton Hotel in China which was opened in 1990s.
Breakfast was just so so if you are a local Chinese, my recommendation was to try a local small restaurant for "Xiao Long Bao" in nearby street.
Service was terrific in this hotel and everyone was friendly, making the atmosphere very comfortable and warm.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better vision.