“What A Find!”

Ranked #46 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“What A Find!”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My friend and I spent a wonderful three days at this hotel. It's classy, well-maintained, centrally located, friendly and extraordinarily good value for money. This is a hotel I would definitely make my base for my next visit to Shanghai. If the hotel re-instated their airport shuttle service, it would be perfect!

A very BIG thank you to the staff and management of Central Hotel. Well done and 3 gold stars for excellent customer service!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you might find the occasional creaking of the heavily wooded decor a bit...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very pleased that the hotel met with your expectations. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Most guests looked to be Chinese. So as a westerner, I could feel the differences as compared with other hotels like Le Meridian. For example: smoking is permitted in all common areas. Few staff speak English, so you often have to wait for an English speaker to be brought to you. They botched up a courier delivery, and failed to make amends, resulting in my not receiving my package. The fitness room (not a gym) had very little equipment, and was missing one of the dumbbells. Fortunately the hotel across the road has the same owner, so you can have a workout, sauna or swim without paying extra. Unfortunately while the next door hotel's little fitness centre is modern and better, it's not safe. e.g. one of the dumbbells was unscrewing itself while I worked out. If this had dropped mid workout, it could have caused injury.

Biggest gripe came from the air-conditioner. The room was baking hot. So you would think that switching off the AC and opening a window would fix this, right? Wrong. The AC still pumps in warm air even when switched off. Had to have a tech lady come visit twice (she didn't speak any English, and didn't fix anything). Turns out it is possible to set the AC to 20 degrees, you just can't switch it off, and need to know the right configuration (isn't logical).
Unfortunately I lost valuable sleep in the process by being woken in the middle of the night sweating in a sauna room before this was discovered.

The jewel of this hotel is its superb restaurant. Worth the dine irrespective of whether you're staying at the hotel. Service was excellent, staff attest to not serving any MSG, menu and ordering is electronic complete with pictures of each dish, and staff descriptions. Most of all the cuisine is typically of Shanghai, affordable and delicious.

Liked the room layout, appreciated the modern furnishings, wired internet, and desk for working. The TV's bright stand-by light opposite the bed can be killed by unplugging the TV. The two phone flashed most nights despite not having any messages waiting, annoying.

Since Shanghai can be noisy, and this hotel is as the name suggests 'central', suggest asking for a higher floor to reduce the noise.

While I appreciated some aspects, next visit to Shanghai I'd prefer to stay in a hotel that doesn't suffer so many drawbacks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
centralhotel s, Public Relations Manager at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is very important for our hotel training and improvement, so we truly appreciate your detailed comments. We have delivered your comments to related departments and we sincerely hope you’ll have a different experience in your next visit to our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

A wonderful hotel, with friendly staff, great location, amazing room and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! We didn't eat in the restaurant, but just had a very civilised drink in the bar whilst a lady played the piano. If you would like a little taste of luxury for a very reasonable price, then choose this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are extremely delighted with your high esteem of our hotel, our location and our service. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel is clean and at a good location. Around 5 mins walk to the Metro station and around 20-30 mins walk to The Bund. I stayed on the 17th floor and the room is really neat and clean. Only thing is that the receptionists are not that friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quite.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are very pleased that the hotel location and facilities met with your expectations. As to the service problems from the receptionists, hotel management has taken them seriously and has begun to give training about service for hotel staff. We sincerely hope you’ll have a different experience at our hotel in your next visit.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I reviewed this hotel in 2008, and stayed here again in March 2013. I was delighted to find that it's still as good - if not improved!

Service here is excellent - English is spoken by staff although some Mandarin helps of course. Amenities are also very good, with improvement having been made to the restaurant and bar areas, and apparently the Gym.

The hotel's key attractiveness for me is its location on Nanjing Rd, close enough to walk to shops, the nearby Museum, the Bund and even Yu Gardens (which is about 30 minutes walk away).

I had room 2016 - and I was so impressed I'd try to get again. Clean, reasonably quiet, extremely comfortable, I had a great night's sleep. It's also the largest room I've had in a Chinese hotel. I kept thinking there was some mistake, or they felt sorry for me as I was travelling on my own. Apparently not, that's what my money paid for.

My only negative experience was the window cleaner outside my window, sitting on what looked like a children's swing. I'm sure he was safe, but I sometimes struggle with vertigo in upper floor hotel rooms, and his presence (20 floors up) made it worse while he was there. A minor quibble really.

Highly recommended.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very pleased that the hotel met with your expectations once again. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The location is outstanding. and near to the main walking streets. The staff is quite friendly and most speak English. The rooms are comfortable, well furnished, cleas and pleasant and the beds are comfortable which is not at all usual for China. The breakfast for quality; choice, service was oustanding and by far the best we had anywhere in China. All in all it was a good experience and I would recommend it. It is definately worth the price that they charge.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Upon entering the room, you get a "wow" feeling. The bed was quite comfortable, with choices of different pillows to suit your preference. You can indicate this by writing on the card what's your preferred pillow type and the housekeeping bring it to you.

Laundry is costly, and got my request mixed up pertaining to having my shirt hanged instead of folded. Thankfully, there is an in-room ironing board and iron to sort this out.

Breakfast was a very good spread, with international and local food available. English newspapers are also available at the reception upon entering the dining area.

Wi-fi is also available for free, on top of the LAN cable in the hotel room. Internet is FOC, which helps a lot!

However, the poor bathroom design made it that the water from the standing shower would overflow to the main areas of the bathroom, resulting in wet floors all over.

Overall very good experience!