“Great location, high CP value”

Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #49 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 20 April 2014

3rd time stayed at this hotel. Great location just next to nanjing Road, 5 minutes walking distance connects to subway station, shopping mall, restaurants. Room was quite big enough and clean, bathroom was very stylish. This hotel is always my priority choice while visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
centralhotel s, qc at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We took 2 rooms for 6 nights, arriving at 2.00am we booked the rooms for the day before so that they would be ready and available for our immediate use on arrival. Our stay has been ok, but not amazing.
The internet is too sketchy to make a Skype phone call on, it only works in the bathroom and next to the door, not from the desk or bed and it drops out regularly. All directions from the concierge were wrong and caused us significant time wasting and frustration. At 9.00 Sunday morning the housekeeping staff banged so loudly and persistently on our son's door next to ours that they succeeded in waking us and him.
The location is central as per everyone else's feedback which is why I booked here but now that we've explored I don't recommend this location at all. It backs on to the main mall which is full of crappy low end shops and has very little flavour of Shanghai. I would suggest staying in the French Concession which is full of beautiful old buildings, wide tree lined boulevards and charming little lanes full of nice restaurants and cute boutiques and galleries.
When I requested a late check out in just one of the rooms because we have a night flight and we checked in late and had the equivalent of 12 nights accommodation I was refused because they were too full but miraculously if I agreed to pay a half room rate they could spare the room.
Thanks for nothing.

Room Tip: All pretty daggy but functional. Fine if you want to be in the heart of low end crappy but surprisin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ozzy_trav

Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our Hotel. We will bring your valuable feedback to the concerned department head immediately and please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you. We sincerely hope you’ll have a different experience in your next visit to our hotel.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I'm writing this opinion while I'm laying on the bed of room 2207, both (bed and room) spacious and cozy. Bedroom and living room are neither huge nor small (but they have one TV each!), but more than enough for a tourist trip, what it means no much time on the room. Bathroom has tube and shower.

We arrived late, almost midnight, so we decided to order some food to the room service. It was correct and not pricey, actually, better than expected.

Staff is nice and helpful and some of them speak better English than myself (well, this is not really so difficult...)

Location is great, we just walked to everywhere, there is a lot of amenities around and, of course, the Bund.

If we come back to Shanghai (what I really hope), this hotel will be our choice again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sorrynonameavailable
centralhotel s, qc at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your great review of our Hotel . We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our room facilities, location as well as the service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My business partner have chosen the hotel for affordable price and first impression was not great, too much heavy gold colored stuff everywhere and queue to check in. When I opened the room, some positive feeling came back, as space inside was big, clean and with nice bed. Everything worked properly except internet connection. Nothing to complain about sleep quality, but after poor breakfast you realize why some other hotels are referred to as luxury. Summing up, enjoy very good rooms, remember that you paid only 100 euro/night and do not complain about things that could have been done better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
centralhotel s, qc at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very pleased that the hotel met with your expectations. In particular, we appreciate the feedback regarding our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. Centrally Situated and overlooking the Shopping Precinct.
Rooms were large and very clean. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and had a good understanding of the English Language. Restaurant was very good with excellent choice of foods. Only downside was, the indoor driving range was broken. Sept`13 RMB 630 per night
I purposely stayed high up in the hotel 20th floor for the view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
centralhotel s, qc at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was here for two nights (unfortunately), and my stay at this hotel couldn't have been better. First, I need to give a shoutout to Chris (at least that's the name I was given at the front desk) who checked us in and took care of us. He was able to upgrade our rooms and was able to put us into a suite. We couldn't be happier with the room and the professionalism that we encountered from the employees working there.

The only one issue I came across was that I came across was while having breakfast (they have a buffet with a nice assortment of different food. Definitely worthwhile to check out.). We noticed our dirty plates weren't taken away during the entire time we were sat down. Didn't get as warm of a feeling from the employees working here as compared to those working at the front desk/reception/housekeeping/etc. We ate breakfast both mornings here. It was the same both days, on the last day we were there, someone came (right near the end of our breakfast) and asked if we wanted our coffee refilled, when we said yes, she brought us a cup of coffee and then handed us a survey/questionnaire and asked us to fill it out. That was the only time we had any contact with someone working in the breakfast area for the two times we were there.

Another issue was that either the A/C wasn't working, or I was using it completely wrong. I had turned it on at night before going to bed (I like a cold room while sleeping) and I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was in a Sauna (I was tempted to take a shower to cool off). I turned off the unit and just opened the windows instead. The person in the other room had the exact same experience. So perhaps they turn off their A/C during the cooler months and only allow for hot air to be blown? Either way, check the temperature of air coming out of your vent before going to bed!

Hotel is very clean, very good location. A 5-10 minute walk to the river to overlook the Pudong side (Shanghai tower, Jin Mao tower, etc.). A 2-3 minute walk to the subway station which is very convenient. You can actually take the subway from the airport to the hotel, but seeing as though we didn't do it this way, I can't comment on how easy it is or any transfers and stuff.

I took the Maglev train (the high speed train) to the only station it goes to (forgot the name of it) and then from there took a cab to the hotel. The cab cost about 100 Yuan, but that was after talking them down from around 200 or so! From the hotel to the airport you can look to spend anywhere from 150 - 200 Yuan usually.

I'd definitely stay at this hotel again. Aside from those two small issues, my stay was enjoyable and I was made to feel like they appreciated my business and wanted me to come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank fivelitre
centralhotel s, qc at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your great review of Central Hotel Shanghai. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our room facilities, location as well as the service. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Just off Nanjing road, 1/2 block to No 2 metro. Great service, large room -- super quiet (couldn't hear any noise from hallway, other rooms or streets below). Will definitely stay there again and would have no hesitation to recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank enjoyingtime5
centralhotel s, QC at Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you very much for your nice comments that will be shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.