“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #26 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Grand Hyatt is a lovely place to stay. Service is good, staff is attentive, and it is central in Pudong. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Had a room with a view of the Bund. Love Cloud 9 ...... went there just to chill and relax after a long day at work or shopping. The gym is amazing. Good equipment. The Spa is great, too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank esther1903

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

Offering staggering views of Shanghai the Grand Hyatt is a high class hotel with a lot to offer.

Rooms are finished in the highest order and are incredibly spacious.

Location is fantastic and within easy walking distance of some great shopping and cultural sights.

Of the hotels I've visited in Shanghai the Grand Hyatt resides firmly among my favorites.

Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank drv_au
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

The hotel lacked maintenance and the rooms were really small. I went to the bar called Cloud Nine , which too had a stuffy feeling to it. The only thing good about the room was the view. Given the price range I probably wont be staying at this property again in Shanghai. The fitness center had excellent equipment and was maintained well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
somewhere
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I don't normally write reviews, but this hotel was so far below what I expected from a Hyatt hotel that I wanted people to know. And hopefully the management picks this up and makes changes.

Very short version:
Nice atmosphere, puzzlingly sub-par service with a shocking lack of attention to detail, would not stay again

Very long version (get the popcorn):
Our taxi drops us off at Jinmao tower. It is around 230pm. I know from my Internet map that the hotel is here, but there is no signage that makes it obvious. There are no porters or wait staff to help me carry my bags or greet me.

I walk through an uncomfortably small revolving door that can barely fit me and my luggage, much less me and my girlfriend. We are now inside Jinmao tower and there is still no signage that indicates there is anything of significance here, other than a nice office lobby and a small bank of china outlet to my right. I see a tenant listing for the building and finally spot something that mentions the grand Hyatt. It has a small arrow. I walk in that direction.

Turning a corner, I see a man at a small reception desk. He is wearing a suit, so he must be with the hyatt. He is aloof when I ask him where the lobby is, then he nods nonchalantly to a set of elevators behind him. It is a hot summer day, and I am too tired from a 5 hour train ride from Beijing to even give him a look of dissatisfaction.

I board the elevators. They are nice and clean. There are only 3 buttons and it is clear how to get to the hotel lobby for the first time.

As I get off the elevator, there is a woman who looks like she should be greeting guests and leading them to reception. Instead, she smiles yet says nothing, until my girlfriend asks her where the check in counter is. The greeting woman points to her left then her attention is drawn to something else.

The shape of reception area feels strange. The area is circular. There is a lounge and a great view of the city skyline. But it is not clear where I should go to check in. I don't see the reception desk since the area is circular and the people in Hyatt uniforms are out of view. I walk forward a few more steps to see them. They barely acknowledge me when I finally reach the counter.

I eventually begin the checkin process. The reception woman is writing our visa and china entry information from our passports. She cannot find my girlfriend's information from her passport and asks her to find the information herself. She then asks me to sign a piece of paper, but she says don't bother reading it, just sign. I read it anyway. She points to the signature box and says reading is not necessary. I finish reading and sign, then we are directed to the elevators. She smiles warmly as we complete checkin.

We reach the room. We have a moment of minor panic as both room keys don't appear to work. We realize that we need to press the door keys against the sensor for a longer than usual time. It eventually works.

We finally open the door. The room has a huge spacious feeling and we breathe a sigh of relief. This is a "Grand Riverview Suite". The view is awesome. There is a smell of fresh flowers.

We begin unpacking and immediately notice a few oddities. First, there is only one easily accessible electric outlet. Interestingly, it has a socket adapter. We realize this is because all of the sockets in the room are puzzlingly hong kong / UK sockets. We are very confused and disappointed we can not charge our phones at the same time.

Secondly, the toilet paper is low quality and stands out as an oversight on an otherwise pretty bathroom. Although it immediately becomes clear there are far too many mirrors and it feels a bit tacky.

I am tired from my travel and sit down on the bed. It is much harder than I expect for a high end hotel. This is the third thing I notice. I look around at the otherwise great room, then lie down for a brief rest. My girlfriend prepares an espresso from the machine and it is delicious. The cups are high quality and the drink gives us a much needed boost of energy as we head out into the city to begin our vacation in shanghai.

...

We return late at night at 2am. We ask the taxi driver to drop us off at Jinmao tower like earlier in the day. Thinking that our earlier difficulty was a result of being dropped off at a wrong, non-hotel entrance, we make sure that we are dropped off at the hotel entrance.

We arrive at the correct, designated entrance. All we see are cleaning staff who are spraying the driveway with water. As I get out of the taxi, I am splashed several times. Fortunately it is only a few drops of water on my shoulder and back. There is no doorman, and the small reception desk with the aloof man from earlier in the day is no longer staffed. We board the elevators and go to the 54th floor. There is a man in a suit when we alight from the elevator. I nod and say hello to him. He says nothing. The lounges are now empty, the skyline is dark and there is no one at the reception desk, except for a cleaner who is vaccuuming the area.

At this point, I imagine this situation if I had come in on a late flight. There is no one to receive me or to let me know that the hotel is accessible through certain elevators. When I finally figure out how to get to the hotel, there is no reception service to check me in. I would be puzzled how a five star hotel cannot afford 24 hour service, especially in china. I feel annoyance at how a 300 dollar a night hotel has such poor control over its guest onboarding experience.

....

It is now time for us to leave the hotel and leave Shanghai. The check-out process is fast and efficient. We go downstairs, and exit through the same small revolving doors. There is one bellboy standing at the edge of the driveway. I ask him (in Mandarin) to help us find a taxi. He looks at me puzzled, and says this is his first day, and that instead I should go out onto the sidewalk myself to hail a taxi. It is 630 am and I don't feel like arguing with someone who has undergone crappy service training. It's not his fault that he is telling a guest to do his job for him - that blame lies with the management of this hotel, who has failed to deliver anything close to a proper Hyatt experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davelocity
Andy C, Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback on our hotel through Trip Advisor. It is only through this type of feedback that we are able to critically assess our performance and understand the required areas of improvements.

It is clear from your review that we could further improve in a number of areas where we did not fully meet your expectation. Please feel rest assured that these have been brought to the attention of the relevant Senior Executives and Managers to take relative actions with specific reference to your comments on the care and the sincerity of our employees.

Once again thank you for this feedback and we are very grateful that you chose Grand Hyatt for your stay in Shanghai. In the meantime, we do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Andy Chang
Hotel Manager
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

The room was terribly small, looks nothing like the ones they show you on the website (i am talking about the picture they show for the lowest category). I have honestly not seen a room this small in Asia since I moved out here from New York. Even for New York city this would be considered a tiny room. The view strangely is not good considering I was on 63rd floor, the window faces 90 degrees a wall of other windows due to the architecture. I got a room with a "bund view" but only if you stand in a corner and crane your neck.

Upon check in, the receptionist told me they "upgraded" to me a newly renovated room. What that means is in reality a smaller room with a smaller bed. I requested a change, and he told me the entire hotel is booked and full. yet when I go online in their reservation system, there was plenty of regular rooms available to be booked at a discounted price, indicating they have plenty of vacancy. I always hated when hotels do that, lie about being full when they just don't want to move you.

In short, unless you are on a business trip in the Pudong Lu Jia Zui area and you don't want to stay far from your office, and your budget does not permit the Park Hyatt next door (Park Hyatt is much nicer and about 150 USD higher price per night), otherwise don't stay at this hotel. Plenty of better choices for this price in Puxi. Pudong also is extremely inconvenient to explore the rest of Shanghai, the location is not far from CBD but the tunnels are constantly extremely jammed.

Even so, try the Shangri-la in Pudong, it's close by, much much much much better services (huge difference in attitude and reception), much nicer restaurants. The rooms are older, but classier and more comfortable and certainly bigger. The Grand Hyatt feels like a third rate Sheraton but in a prime location, it's about the same price as Shangri-la but totally different class of experience.

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, even though it was a small queen size. The mattress was firm and I had a good night of sleep. The sheets was OK, kind of rough but not too bad. Internet was fast. Here's another plus, Hyatt hotels in China uses VPN that's tunnelled to either HK or the US, so you can access Facebook, Youtube and all the other websites that are blocked by the Chinese government.

I like the Hyatt group because their hotels do have amazing design. The Andaz Hotel newly opened in Xintiandi is beautiful, the Park Hyatt is a piece of art. Next time I want to try the Hyatt on the Bund. But definitely NOT the Grand Hyatt.

Room Tip: Do not take the "newly renovated" queen size room. That's euphimism for a tiny tiny r...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Andy C, Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Warm greeting from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much for taking time to share your feedback with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences and frustrations you experienced during your recent stay with us. Your comments on the in room facilities as well as the service quality have been duly noted and some effective efforts and internal training would be taken to further enhance our facilities and services.
I hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Andy Chang
Hotel Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This Hotel is nice although we felt that the staff came over with a certain attitude that does not match the great Hyatt feel in other properties. The service is five star but not personal enough. Exactly what usually makes the difference if staying in a Hyatt. We arrived from the Park Hyatt Ningbo and that made the huge gap even more obvious. Some rooms have already been refurbished but still they try to give you the older ones first. The newly renovated rooms and baths are gorgeous though. I know it is common in high rise buildings to change elevators to get to your room, but it can get a bit annoying. Here you need to get up to the lobby, then walk right thru lots of tourist crowds taking pictures and head over to the next elevators. Next time in Shanghai we will prefer the Hyatt on the Bund with a walk in lobby again. Their club lounge had a warm food station while the Grand Hyatt Club has only 2 warm a la carte items.
On another note: the view is great but a lot of the rooms right now are overlooking the construction site of the Shanghai Tower. Quite interesting to watch but really noisy, too, they started at 6.00 am even on a Sunday with loud noises.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank VitelloTonatto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed on the 80th floor just to try how it feels to be so high! I was amazed with the view of the city. We choose a room that is facing the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. The room is clean and organized and the service is good. The location is just few walks away from the World Financial Center.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple