Grand Hyatt Shanghai
US$219
US$121
NewWorldHotels.com
  • Pool
The PuLi Hotel and Spa(Shanghai)
US$491
US$98
US$290
US$233
2,559 results
All reviewsthe jin mao towercloud bargrand cafepiano bartallest hotelhotel startsifc mallthe pearlthe financial districtriver viewan amazing hotelthe club loungefloor to ceiling windowsacross the riverluxury hoteltop floorbusiness trip
Reviewed 22 July 2014

the Grand Hyatt Shanghai was an incredible surprise. The rooms were comfortable and luxurious at a reasonable price. EVERY service person I ran into was helpful, patient and shared clear information. The food was delicious, varied in spice, temperature and textures. This was my first time in Shanghai, and staying at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai added to the marvel of this experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Blancheeee,

Warmest greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai.

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the overall hotel service and facilities and especially the assistance extended to you by our associates. We thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts to make our day.

As you can imagine, we remain grateful for all comments received from our guests and yours are of no exception. We thank you once again for your time and effort to share your thoughts and experiences with us, and I remain with my best wishes and regards.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Grand Hyatt is a hidden gem in the Pudong section of Shanghai, and as long as you don't mind being more than 50 stories up, it's a great option for vacation and business travelers. The Grand Hyatt is located in the Jin Mao Tower in Pudong, which is about a 40 minute drive from the international airport. It's poorly marked from the outside, and people don't recognize the Hyatt name in English, so just tell the taxi driver Jin Mao, and they can find it. The hotel is located on the top floors (54-88) of one of the tallest office buildings in Shanghai, with stunning views of the city in all directions. Reception is on the 54th floor, but an express elevator zips you up there. The location is good and convenient to the airport, but it's so sterile and modern on that side of the river, you get the feeling you could be in any large Asian city. If you really want a sense of the historic and cultural nature of Shanghai, you need to go across the Huangpu River to the old part of Shanghai. What Pudong has going for it are the the many restaurants and luxury shopping malls, including the newish IFC Center, which is probably the highest end luxury shopping mall in all of China. The Hyatt is convenient to these malls by an outdoor walking bridge, which can take you 10-15 minutes. We were here on a family trip, but it would be equally good for a business trip. Overall a nice spot for myriad Shanghai activities.

The rooms of the Grand Hyatt are gorgeous, spacious and stylish. The lights and curtains are controlled by electronic controls. The wifi is free and fast. The bathroom has nice marbling and fixtures, and the multi-spray showers were nice-to-have, though the water seemed to spray all over because of some poor design decisions. I would say the rooms themelves were the equal of most 5-star hotels.

We didn't use many of the facilities of the Hyatt. The Cafe downstairs served a nice but expensive buffet breakfast. The bar on top of the hotel seemed dark and pumped out techno-pop music, but had the best views of the city.

Staff are bit formal and cold; reception and concierge generally kept their heads down and waited until you asked them questions before offering a greeting or smile. They would offer perfunctory answers to questions and I didn't get much help with restaurant suggestions in the area from the concierge. I think it's the Chinese way, but we had just come from Malaysia where hotel staff and people were much more friendly and helpful. My expectations of a Grand Hyatt may be too high, but that seems to be an area where the hotel could improve, as the rooms themselves are top flight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dough2000

Dear Dough2000,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share your experiences with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with the hotel location and the newly styled guest room during your stay with us.

Your comments on the overall inattentive service you experienced are extremely concerning to read as they do not represent the levels of service which we strive to achieve. We will reinforce the related departments’ internal measures as well as training to ensure that recurrences are followed through correctly.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us as it is only through concerned individuals like yourself that we are able to closely fine tune our services. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for five nights last month when I visited Shanghai.

Check-in was great. Although there was quite a few other people checking in at the same time and there was a little bit of a wait, the guy who helped me was great. He made sure I had everything I needed.

The room was quite nice as I was upgraded to a room with a view of the bund. It is a bit more "traditional" compared to the Park Hyatt where I stayed the last 2 times I was in Shanghai. However, everything I needed was there. The bed was quite comfortable which was very important for me.

However, the service was quite erratic. After I got great service from the person who checked me in, it went downhill from there. At the cafe for breakfast, one morning I waited more than 20 minutes for a coffee and had to ask 3-4 times. However, one night I got room service and the guy who delivered it was very polite, courteous and even helped run back to the kitchen to get me some chili sauce. The worst, however, was during and after checkout. The guy at checkout was on his mobile phone on a personal call when I got there. During the checkout, he didn't ask me if I preferred to have the charges in RMB or in the currency of my credit card but went ahead to charge me in my own currency. This is not allowed for my company's expense policy so I had him reverse the charges and re-do it in RMB. When I got home, I found out the charges were never reversed. After checkout, when I was waiting for my car pickup. I realized I had forgotten to bring a bottle of water with me so I asked the guy at the downstairs desk whether I could have a bottle of water. I asked both in English and Chinese. The guy knew I was asking for water but just stood there and asked with an attitude "What about water"? It wasn't because he didn't understand it as I was speaking to him in Chinese. It was another guy from behind who came running with a bottle of water.

Despite the erratic service, the stay was still good but perhaps the hotel can focus on improving training for their staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank applefan
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Applefan,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your comments.

I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with the service provided by our Front Office associate upon check-in and the room assignment during your stay with us.

Your comments on the check-out experience , café breakfast and service manner at the grand floor are extremely concerning to hear as they do not represent the levels of service which we strive to achieve. We will reinforce the related departments’ internal measures as well as training to ensure that recurrences are followed through correctly.

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I liked the room layout and decoration style, compared to Park Hyatt, was much warm and alive. I was given a room with the view of pearl tower as requested. The elevator seemed a little old, but besides that, everything was perfect. It will be my hotel choice next time I visit Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear jabba85286,

Many thanks for making Grand Hyatt Shanghai your hotel of choice on your visit to Shanghai and thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to learn how satisfied you were with our newly renovated room and you found our overall services to your satisfaction.
We thank you once again for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts to make our day. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not distant future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Few nights stay in this hotel and am particularly loves its wall design with chinese characters....most important, it has great view towards the Pudong River opposite The Bund. Was impressed with the great customer care - once I called up and asked as I couldn't connect to their WiFi, the lady responded politely. When I got back to hotel after few hours, everything restored and amazed to receive a apology card with a box of nice cookies from the hotel manager! Not because of its cookies but the sincerity of the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear at9483mph,
Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and many thanks for making us your preferred hotel during your visit to Shanghai.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the deco and design of our guest room with the river view from the hotel. Your most encouraging words on the customer services extended during your stay were also duly noted and relayed accordingly. At the same time, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the WiFi connection during your recent stay with us. Our concerned department and the contracted service provider have rectified our network device and we are confident of having a stable operating system soon.

We talk about caring for the human spirit in each of us as our purpose as a company – it is why we exist. The pleasure was all ours to be able to serve you and, indeed, your compliments will further motivate the Grand Hyatt Shanghai team in our dedication towards providing authentic hospitality driven by human care.
We thank you for your thoughtfulness in taking the time to write and hope we shall again have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

With best regards,