“The Place To Stay In Shanghai!”

Grand Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #26 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“The Place To Stay In Shanghai!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Why must one chose Grand Hyatt Shanghai? To admire the stunning views of the Bund and PuDong, to see its breathtaking atrium (29 floors), to enjoy the perfect location in the heart of the business district LuJiaZui and close to all important places on the Puxi side, to enjoy Shanghai's best shopping malls (IFC and Super Brand Mall), which are within 5 minutes walking distance, to discover more than 50 different restaurants (within 10min walk) from casual to fancy, from local Shanghainese to authentic Italian Food, to unwind in its quality facilities, to rest in its comfortable beds and to stay in this most famous skyscraper in China - Jin Mao Tower. But what makes this hotel unique to me are its people - warm, humble, helpful, proactive and smiley - despite being far away from home, Grand Hyatt Shanghai is a place where everyone feels at home immediately.

Room Tip: Book a Club Deluxe Room with River View for the stay of your life
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank FollowMSimon
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear MrGlobetrotter65,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences following your recent stay with us at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai.

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the stunning views of the Bund from Grand Hyatt Shanghai, hotel facilities, the location with an easy access to points of interest in the city and especially the service provided to you by our associates.

We talk about caring for the human spirit in each of us as our purpose as a company – it is why we exist. The pleasure was all ours to be able to serve you and, indeed, your compliments will further motivate the Grand Hyatt Shanghai team in our dedication towards providing authentic hospitality driven by human care.

We thank you for your thoughtfulness in taking the time to write and hope we shall again have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I first visited this hotel in 2005 and at that time it was the highest building on the Bund with 87 floors. The Hyatt hotel starts on the 53rd floor and there is a choice of restaurants bars and cafe on floor 54. Unfortunately the Hyatt is now dwarfed by other buildings with fancy names such as the aptly named Corkscrew but the views are still spectacular and what better place to have High Teas than in a bar virtually in the clouds.
Getting up there is amazing, the lift feels like it takes less than a minute but there is no evidence of G Force. The staff are fantastic, seating very comfortable and the fare totally acceptable and reasonably priced. Just do it for the view.

Room Tip: Take the Metro to Super Brands Mall and amble over.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Gerad B,

Many thanks for taking the time to share positive feedbacks about Grand Hyatt Shanghai. Your support of our hotel is very much appreciated and I was most pleased to learn that you were satisfied with our customer service and facilities. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed the stunning views of the Shanghai skyline from the bar Cloud 9 at Floor 87. I have shared your thoughtful words with my teams respectively.

Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty to Grand Hyatt Shanghai. We look forward to continuously serving you whenever your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Beautiful hotel, great service and amazing views. Recommend it to all the people who come visit and are not too worried about budgeting.
Also, the view from the bar compares to the view on the observation deck, so I would recommend to everyone to rather have one of the amazing cocktails at the bar and admire the view, rather than pay to get into observation deck:)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ShanghaiRosa
Dear ShanghaiRosa,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your comments.

I am very pleased to read your positive and encouraging comments particularly for our overall service as well as Cloud 9 with stunning views of Shanghai skyline . I have no doubt your compliments will go a long way towards motivating our employees to continuously maintain and exceed our guests' expectations.

We thank you once again for your time and effort to share your thoughts and experiences on the Trip Advisor, and I remain with my best wishes and regards.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a very impressive hotel right in the middle of Pudong. It used to be the highest tower in Shanghai and the tallest hotel in the world. Athough it still has a great history there are taller structures to see in the area. this hotel has remarkable service, wonderful decor, very clean and comfortable rooms, great restaurants and a fantastic spa. it is well worth the money and to top it all off it has a fantastic location access to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floors
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Livetotravel002,

Many thanks for making Grand Hyatt Shanghai your hotel of choice on your visit to Shanghai and thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

Your most encouraging words on the newly renovated guest room and our overall hotel service and facilities are most appreciated. I have shared your thoughtful words with my teams accordingly.

We have as our mission to make a difference in people’s lives, so your words bring this to life. I have no doubt your compliments will further motivate the whole team in our dedication towards providing authentic hospitality to each of our valued guests.

We thank you again for taking the time and effort to share your thoughts and experiences with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not distant future.

Crested Butte, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2014

the Grand Hyatt Shanghai was an incredible surprise. The rooms were comfortable and luxurious at a reasonable price. EVERY service person I ran into was helpful, patient and shared clear information. The food was delicious, varied in spice, temperature and textures. This was my first time in Shanghai, and staying at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai added to the marvel of this experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Blancheeee,

Warmest greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai.

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the overall hotel service and facilities and especially the assistance extended to you by our associates. We thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts to make our day.

As you can imagine, we remain grateful for all comments received from our guests and yours are of no exception. We thank you once again for your time and effort to share your thoughts and experiences with us, and I remain with my best wishes and regards.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Grand Hyatt is a hidden gem in the Pudong section of Shanghai, and as long as you don't mind being more than 50 stories up, it's a great option for vacation and business travelers. The Grand Hyatt is located in the Jin Mao Tower in Pudong, which is about a 40 minute drive from the international airport. It's poorly marked from the outside, and people don't recognize the Hyatt name in English, so just tell the taxi driver Jin Mao, and they can find it. The hotel is located on the top floors (54-88) of one of the tallest office buildings in Shanghai, with stunning views of the city in all directions. Reception is on the 54th floor, but an express elevator zips you up there. The location is good and convenient to the airport, but it's so sterile and modern on that side of the river, you get the feeling you could be in any large Asian city. If you really want a sense of the historic and cultural nature of Shanghai, you need to go across the Huangpu River to the old part of Shanghai. What Pudong has going for it are the the many restaurants and luxury shopping malls, including the newish IFC Center, which is probably the highest end luxury shopping mall in all of China. The Hyatt is convenient to these malls by an outdoor walking bridge, which can take you 10-15 minutes. We were here on a family trip, but it would be equally good for a business trip. Overall a nice spot for myriad Shanghai activities.

The rooms of the Grand Hyatt are gorgeous, spacious and stylish. The lights and curtains are controlled by electronic controls. The wifi is free and fast. The bathroom has nice marbling and fixtures, and the multi-spray showers were nice-to-have, though the water seemed to spray all over because of some poor design decisions. I would say the rooms themelves were the equal of most 5-star hotels.

We didn't use many of the facilities of the Hyatt. The Cafe downstairs served a nice but expensive buffet breakfast. The bar on top of the hotel seemed dark and pumped out techno-pop music, but had the best views of the city.

Staff are bit formal and cold; reception and concierge generally kept their heads down and waited until you asked them questions before offering a greeting or smile. They would offer perfunctory answers to questions and I didn't get much help with restaurant suggestions in the area from the concierge. I think it's the Chinese way, but we had just come from Malaysia where hotel staff and people were much more friendly and helpful. My expectations of a Grand Hyatt may be too high, but that seems to be an area where the hotel could improve, as the rooms themselves are top flight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dough2000
Dear Dough2000,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share your experiences with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with the hotel location and the newly styled guest room during your stay with us.

Your comments on the overall inattentive service you experienced are extremely concerning to read as they do not represent the levels of service which we strive to achieve. We will reinforce the related departments’ internal measures as well as training to ensure that recurrences are followed through correctly.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us as it is only through concerned individuals like yourself that we are able to closely fine tune our services. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for five nights last month when I visited Shanghai.

Check-in was great. Although there was quite a few other people checking in at the same time and there was a little bit of a wait, the guy who helped me was great. He made sure I had everything I needed.

The room was quite nice as I was upgraded to a room with a view of the bund. It is a bit more "traditional" compared to the Park Hyatt where I stayed the last 2 times I was in Shanghai. However, everything I needed was there. The bed was quite comfortable which was very important for me.

However, the service was quite erratic. After I got great service from the person who checked me in, it went downhill from there. At the cafe for breakfast, one morning I waited more than 20 minutes for a coffee and had to ask 3-4 times. However, one night I got room service and the guy who delivered it was very polite, courteous and even helped run back to the kitchen to get me some chili sauce. The worst, however, was during and after checkout. The guy at checkout was on his mobile phone on a personal call when I got there. During the checkout, he didn't ask me if I preferred to have the charges in RMB or in the currency of my credit card but went ahead to charge me in my own currency. This is not allowed for my company's expense policy so I had him reverse the charges and re-do it in RMB. When I got home, I found out the charges were never reversed. After checkout, when I was waiting for my car pickup. I realized I had forgotten to bring a bottle of water with me so I asked the guy at the downstairs desk whether I could have a bottle of water. I asked both in English and Chinese. The guy knew I was asking for water but just stood there and asked with an attitude "What about water"? It wasn't because he didn't understand it as I was speaking to him in Chinese. It was another guy from behind who came running with a bottle of water.

Despite the erratic service, the stay was still good but perhaps the hotel can focus on improving training for their staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank applefan
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Applefan,

I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with the service provided by our Front Office associate upon check-in and the room assignment during your stay with us.

Your comments on the check-out experience , café breakfast and service manner at the grand floor are extremely concerning to hear as they do not represent the levels of service which we strive to achieve. We will reinforce the related departments’ internal measures as well as training to ensure that recurrences are followed through correctly.

With Best Regards,