“Good value 5 stars hotel in Pudong Shanghai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hyatt Shanghai

Grand Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #22 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Good value 5 stars hotel in Pudong Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

If you are tourist, I would suggest you to stay in the other side of the town as Pudong is purely a financial district. All interesting tourist things are in Puxi. However, if you are looking for new and high end hotels, Pudong is where you should stay.

Though it is not cheap, it is relatively cheaper than Ritz Carlton and Shangri-la which is just a block or two closer to the core office area around IFC and Citibank Tower. I stayed a few times when it first opened over a decade ago and it is still well maintained. The drawback is the buffet breakfast is just average but overcharged

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
1 Thank Ermainator
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear Ermainator,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai.

I was delighted to read that you were still satisfied with the overall service and facilities at our hotel. On the other hand, pertaining to your feedbacks on the buffet breakfast which have been highlighted and will be reviewed by our Food and Beverage management.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us as it is only through concerned individuals like yourself that we are able to closely fine tune our service and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Ultimate Hotel.
Ultimate Location.
Ultimate View.
Stayed only one night but Ultimate Experience.
The reception of the Grand Hyatt Pudong is on the 54th level of the Jin Mao Tower and the hotel goes up from there until the 85th level.
Room was very well interior.
You will never like to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: select corner room so you can see great panorama.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Divyesh B,

Warm Greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you for sharing your stay experiences on Trip Advisor.

The pleasure was all ours to be able to serve you and, indeed, your most favourable comments towards hotel’s location, newly styled guest room and fantastic view are most appreciated.

Bergamo, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I am a Hyatt passport member and I have been in this hotel now for 4 Times in two years and I truly love this place for the location and emotion of living above the clouds...BUT...I have never seen such a world class landmark so badly managed and full of service people completely useless and not informed about the most easy information.
We have plenty of examples this times and if I can, so far, save the check-in desk staff as they have been very friendly, the rest of the people (except one guy from France) is really embarrassing.
We are dining in one of the restaurant (the grill) that has a menu with considerably high prices (6 oysters for over 40US$) or steaks of different meat and origin. Some of them from Australia. A 6 oz filet costs the remarkable amount of 480 CNY which means approx 60€!!!!!
I ask the server about the differences among the various types of meat quality and the descriptions, and the answer is "I do not know. I ask the chef!".... The chef comes and I ask him the same question...his answer is even more scary " difficult question..." He says..." Surely a different kind of meat"!!!!!!! Gosh I hope so.....the view is spectacular...but I start to feel depressed.
A couple of hours later, after this experience I call from the room the front desk and ask about Sunday brunch at the caffe place where normally is breakfast. The lady answering the phone says "breakfast is not included in your room rate..." I said I knew but I was asking about brunch for Sunday.
She said..."I ask the manager..."!!!!! She calls me few minutes later and says "the manager says there is no brunch in any restaurant of the hotel" (to note that they serve usually buffet at caffe street during every day of the week at lunch time and dinner)....
e, really but if you need anything prepare to be more the patient."
If I would be the manager I would have high concerns.
I have no idea which are the criteria of the human resource manager but the quality of the service, and even more so, of the personnel is really poor.
It is really irritating and these are just two examples.
What a shame!

Vittorio Giacomelli

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank victor1961_04
Dear Victor1961_04,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your comments.

Please accept our sincere apologies for these service shortfall you experienced with our Grill and Front Office on your last visit in August. We obviously have some improvements to be made in this area and I assure you that this important matter has been addressed by management concerned and to ensure that corrective measures are taken immediately.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us as it is only through concerned individuals like yourself that we are able to closely fine tune our services. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai in the near future.

With Best Regards,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

The Grand Hyatt made us feel welcome for the one night we stayed. The views are stunning out of every window and the inside of the hotel is just as majestic. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the spa was amazing. The pool had fantastic views, and the other spa areas were beautiful too. The room had bluetooth speakers that played throughout the entire room including the bathroom which was fun. The bed, good lord the bed was the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on... I highly recommend it just on the bed alone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Afronaut24,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences following your recent stay with us at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai.

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the overall hotel service and facilities. The pleasure was all ours to be able to serve you and, indeed, your compliments will further motivate the Grand Hyatt Shanghai team in our dedication towards providing authentic hospitality driven by human care.

Thank you for making the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We look forward to continuously serving you whenever your travels bring you back to our way.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for meetings at the Shanghai World Finance Center (as the Park Hyatt was full). The rooms were spacious and well-equipped, with free wi-fi which worked fine. In-room breakfast was fine, though the soy latte was a bit weird (as I have experienced at other hotels in China). The rooms definitely have great views of Shanghai and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint was the staff often spoke to you in Chinese even if you approached them with a question in English. Luckily, I understand Chinese, but you would expect staff at an international hotel (especially at the front desk and concierge) to be able to communicate in English.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Denise S,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Shanghai and thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding the great view from the room and in-room facilities. Pertaining to your feedbacks on the language efficiency of our associates which has been duly noted, we will reinforce the related departments’ internal measures as well as training to ensure that recurrences are followed through correctly.

I have also taken note of your remarks concerning the soy latte from Room Service. Please rest assured that this issue will be discussed with the department head concerned to ensure that we review your concerns.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as it is through comments such as this that we can monitor and fine tune our service and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai in the not distant future.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here a few years ago and it seems the clientele. has changed from business people to more tourists. The facilities are overall excellent, especially for a hotel that is 54 stories up. Assuming there is no fog, you can have a very interesting view from your room and from the Cloud 9 bar on the 89th floor.

Breakfast is good, and the service and response times are good too. The gym is adequate, but the pool and jacuzzi are even better. They have a deep swimming pool (1.6 meters) which has a least 3 lanes; it's great for early morning swimmers. There is also a sauna and steam room.

I would give this hotel 5 stars, but the bars (Cloud 9 and the Piano bar) could be much better than they are. I felt that we overpaid for mediocre drinks and just adequate service.

We watched a music performance in the Piano bar on Saturday night which was unintentionally amusing. I've never seen a more dysfunctional band. The male saxophone player was an egomaniac who disrupted the other two and the female pipa player played only about half the time and spend a lot of time at the beginning adjusting her instrument. Only the female piano player seemed to perform well consistently throughout the set, but the other two didn't cooperate.

When I stayed here years ago, there was an all-girl traditional Chinese instrument band that was superb. I can only guess that competition among nearby hotels has heated up and it is harder to get good bands and competent bar tenders who know what a cocktail onion is.

The Cloud 9 bar has a very good view of the neighborhood skyscrapers and river, which can be very pretty when lit up at night, assuming there is no fog from rain or from the river. There is only a small 8 table non-smoking area. Most of the facility is smoking. This should be reversed.

Ideally, I would like them to ban smoking in both bars. I won't go in the future if they don't do this. I don't want to get a cold and I hate having my clothes reek of cigarette smoke. They would probably sell more food, too. Smoking is commonly banned in bars in the US; I guess it hasn't caught on in China yet.

It's a good hotel, overall. Go elsewhere for evening entertainment and drinks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nakorsakov
Dear Nakorsakov,

I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with views of the Shanghai skyline from the guest room and the Cloud 9 bar as well as your positive comments regarding hotel’s overall service and facilities.

I have also taken note of your remarks concerning drinks quality, service level and smoking issues at the Could 9 and the band performance in the Piano bar. These have been highlighted and reviewed by our Food and Beverage management. Please rest assured that we will be taking immediate action to rectify and improve where needed. I am happy to share that we will have a new band in the Piano bar starting from September 01.

Burlingame, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The 2nd highest hotel in the world !
One of the most beautiful rooms I've ever encountered --- on the 74th floor with a view of the Pearl Tower and the Bund. Amazing.
Spotless hotel, wonderful restaurants, fantastic views, and a staff courteous and thoroughly professional. Plus, one of the best pastry shops ever -- located on the ground floor. A most spectacular hotel.
An easy walk along the elevated pedestrian walkways to the Metro, the beautiful IFC Mall, and to the neighboring towers.

(Note: there are several Hyatts in Shanghai --- ask to be taken to the Jin Mao tower in Pudong.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand_Hyatt_Shanghai, Director of Rooms at Grand Hyatt Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 April 2015
Dear Nikolaus H,

I was delighted to read your positive feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel and thank you for choosing us as your "home" during your visit to Shanghai.

Your compliments towards the hotel's location, your stay, dining experiences and our Pastry Boutique are much appreciated. It was our pleasure hosting you and many thanks for recommending Grand Hyatt Shanghai as your preferred business hotel in the city.

Thank you again for sharing with us your experiences on this forum and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards,