“What a treat-beautiful historic hotel in the best location possible”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Orange, California
“What a treat-beautiful historic hotel in the best location possible”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This hotel is situated at the corner of Nanjing Road and the Bund. Right where the famous shopping district intersects with the river walkway. The views from restaurant and breakfast room overlook the river which at night is decorated with boats that are more like floating light shows. You are literally across the street from the Bund where you can take a leisurely walk in the cool air.

The hotel lobby has a very nice bar area with live band in the evening as well. A center rotunda houses a large piece of art highlighting the historical aspects of the hotel. The public spaces are not huge in keeping with the age of the building. This extends to the elevators but but I never had to wait for more than a minute despite their relatively small size.

The rooms are more like suites with a foyer, dressing area, large bedroom and enormous marble bath. The claw footed tub in the bath is a delight. Plenty of high end amenities including an espresso machine and fresh fruit make the room a place you do not mind spending a some time in. The beds are the best I experienced in a hotel in a year. They are complete with luxurious bedding, lots of pillows and silky soft sheets.

I would strongly recommend this hotel for business, couples, and friends. It may be a bit too formal for an active children.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank D. C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I had the fortune to stay at this hotel for 2 weeks before repatriating back to Europe. A lot has been said here already about the great decor, location, food and standard of the hotel, all of which I can confirm. But what made my stay really memorable were the personal gestures of the hotel staff- the personal welcome when I checked in, the coincierge, the bell boy that opened my car door for me every day and offered to help me with my bags, the service in the restaurants and the smiles that greeted me every morning when I walked through the hotel.

Breakfast is something that you should not miss out on. Since I travel extensively on business, breakfast at hotels such as the Fairmont can be a pretty impersonal experience. Not at the Fairmont Peace hotel. The variety offered at the breakfast buffet is great and very tasty but it is the attentive and friendly personnel that make a difference. I was particularly impressed by Patricia Ghamani who, I think, supervises the staff here. I observed her nearly every day - she is not only very attentive, friendly but also takes the time to talk to her guests and give them excellent tips if needed. And at the same time she ensures that everything else is running smoothly. Thank you Patricia for the warm welcome every morning and the small personal touches that make breakfast at the Fairmont Peace Hotel a great way to start the day in Shanghai!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jetsetrose
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have stayed in several Fairmont hotels in different countries, Fairmont Peace is definitely my favourite Fairmont hotel. I stayed here in my business trip, and had breakfast included in my package. The breakfast was sooooo good! All kinds of choice of fusion style of food. I also had lunch in the Cathy (not remember the name clearly) restaurant on 9th floor, and the food was good too. I just love the view of Shanghai from the restaurants. That was the best part!

The room is luxury. The bathroom is the best so far among all the hotels I ever stayed before. It is really really big and the ceiling+lighting are beautiful. Tons of free bottled water available in the room.

One cute thing was that there was one weather forecast card on the night stand next to the bed showing the next day's weather.

I guess because of the location (right on the bund) and long history of the hotel, the lobby is kind of small. Anyway, small lobby is not a big deal. Love fairmont hotels around the world with history!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Perth, Autralia
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Loved the character of this hotel. The decor and design of the rooms is beautiful. The TV in the bathroom in a nice touch. The hotel's staff were fantastic, especially the concierge who were so helpful. My mandarin is very limited so I'm grateful that they helped organise so many of our reservations for us. My main complaint is that the hotel's atmosphere was a bit musty like stale incense. I have bad hayfever so it bothered me more than most people.
Breakfast was expensive and a disappointment. The Phoenix room is charming but the offering is limited and ordinary quality. you are better off walking a short distance up the road for dim sum.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

The hotel is decorated in a classic style, it keeps it's historic achetecture with modern quality furnitures, very much love it, highly recommend!!!! Plus the location is the most convenient, easy to go to everywhere

• Stayed October 2012
Templestowe Lower
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel exudes opulence. It's recently (2010) been renovated and it was truly a surprise find. If you can, join the Fairmont Gold Club to enjoy the great breakfast, divine afternoon tea and delicious canapés after 5. (Jeez I sound like an ad !) Avoid going on public holidays ! We were there during their National day and the area (the Bund) was extremely busy- even for the locals. After walking amongst an endless crowd all day the Fairmont lobby was like an oasis. The narrow and long winding corridors became more interesting as time went by, as did the little elevator . Loved the gym ! We had a suite with adjoining deluxe king room and altogether it was huge. Our family of 5 loved it. You must go to the rooftop for the view over The Bund, which is amazing and especially breathtaking at night. Even if you're not eating at the restaurant on the 9th floor the waiters will let you go through to see the view. The location is central and perfect for getting around Shanghai. It's a 5 min walk to the train station. Loved it.

• Stayed October 2012
Cardiff
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a Grand Tour of China with Cox and Kings. Although we stayed for 2 nights, our time in the hotel was limited due to our hectic schedule.
When we arrived there was no formal greeting and no place to rest whilst our rooms were sorted. So we stood around like lost souls in the lobby area whilst our rooms were allocated - which seemed to take an age, bearing in mind the hotel had known we were coming, we were not surprise guests. We were then given a map of the hotel, which was incomprehensible and the explanation given by reception staff did not help.
We had been allocated a Fairmont Gold Grand Executive Floor King room, which was very impressive. The bed, bathroom, furnishings were excellent. The view was nothing exceptional, but we were told only the suites had good views, but it was an external view - avoid internal views of the "courtyard".
Staff in the restaurants were very helpful and friendly, but prices were high - £5 for a bottle of beer; £60 for a decent bottle of wine and if you dine in the Cathay Room beware that the Chef undercooks the steaks - my wife ordered a medium fillet and it was rare, even after a return visit to the kitchen, although Eddy was excellent on trying to sort things out
Because we had to leave early on the last day we took breakfast in the normal restaurant. rather than the Fairmont lounge, it was better - the choice was similar and the food hotter.
Shanghai itself is great however as is the area around the hotel, the Bund - spectacular at night.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple