“First class and perfect location”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney
“First class and perfect location”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I visited Shanghai a year ago, and my local guide took me through the foyer of this hotel and explained some of the history, it was beautiful. When I returned this year, this was where I stayed.

It was the end of January and loved it. It was the beginning of the spring festival/Chinese New year break which seems to be the low season. Lucky for me I guess, as for a few extra dollars I was upgraded to a Fairmont Gold suite on the 7th floor plus all the benefits associated - private check-in, club lounge with almost private service, the staff couldn't do enough for you!, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, an enormous suite, personalised welcome letters, a fruit bowl in the room, etc etc. I have to admit in all my years of travelling, this must have been the first time I have not been able to discover, let alone use, all the features in a room. The room was perfectly silent as well, which is always something I appreciate.

The roof top terrace on the 11th floor is amazing, there was always a beautiful scent up there everywhere you went. Its almost completely covered with a wooden deck and the views are spectacular, all the way along the Bund, across to Pudong, and even up Nanjing Road east. There is also a large old covered bell up on the terrace, but I never found out its significance.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, a chinese one on the 8th floor, and a western one on the 9th floor. I didn't have a meal in either, although I did chat to a couple of the receptionists on the 9th floor one. One girl was nice, and one guy was very pushy, interrogating me until he found out I was a guest of the hotel, and then trying to upsell me breakfast in his restaurant - even after I told him I had breakfast included in the gold club lounge. Luckily I found I could access the terrace on the 11th floor directly, so didn't need to go back past him in future!.

I had a couple of hours to kill on evening so I went down to the Jazz bar on the ground floor for a drink. Nice place to kill some time, especially if you like live Jazz. The surroundings were typically first class, and the service was excellent.

The location of this hotel is perfect. It is central to everything, and everything is an easy walk - even the Peoples park is just a short walk down Nanjng Road east, and the Bund sightseeing tunnel to Pudong, is just across the road.

Room Tip: ask for a gold upgrade when you book :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tasydney
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear tasydney,

We are absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience at our iconic property. I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation to you for choosing to stay with us and for also finding the time to share such positive comments.

We truly hope that you will be able to return to Shanghai and it would be our distinct pleasure to be able to host you here once again.

George Wee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 7 February 2014

It’s a rarity to find a great hotel and great service.

Fairmont Peace Hotel is certainly one of them. A great hotel is described by its strategic location, convenient amenities, delightful ambience, and more-than-adequate room size. FPH has it all.

The bathroom is exceedingly large for a deluxe room with a beautiful bathtub thrown in. Every morning and night, I had the aromatic delight of sipping gourmet coffee and tea, compliments of the hotel.

Most of all, this hotel boasts of great service. Allow me to cite some examples.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by Andy, a long-serving doorman, who recognized me from my last visit and whose perpetual smiles and joyful spirit make our day. His other colleagues, like Young, Eric and others also exhibited the same kind of helpful disposition.

The concierge service is truly world class. Peter and Justin are both outstanding employees. My mom-in-law had difficulty walking and they provided her with a wheel chair during the entire stay at the hotel. Initially, the wheel chairs were not available as they had been loaned out to other guests. Not to be disappointed, somehow, they managed to get another one for her the next day. When there was difficulty with the foot rests in the wheelchair, they were quick to repair them.

When I had difficulty with my phone card, Justin accompanied me to a near-by phone company to get it solved. Although it was not resolved, Justin tried his level best to alleviate the problem. I truly admire his persistence and perseverance.

The hotel front office staff were also excellent. Ginny, Lily, Thomas were always so professional and friendly. They ensured that all our needs and requests were promptly attended. They were always interacting with my family and me: warm greetings, expressing concerns and offering good advice. When the staff knew that my roommate, Suraj had taken ill, Justin and Lily promptly offered to send in hot ginger, lemon tea for him. I was overwhelmed by their initiative and thoughtfulness.

However, their housekeeping service was rather inconsistent. Although they have turned on beautiful soft music after the bed was turned, my table had items which were not organized neatly and used towels were not replaced. Shoes sent in for polishing were cleaned haphazardly.

But when my coffee machine was also not working properly, it was rectified immediately after my complaint to the housekeeping department.

Overall, these minor misdeeds did not detract me from the great service experience at the hotel.

With this kind of service and facilities, my family and I will certainly make Fairmont Peace Hotel the hotel of choice for every my visit to Shanghai!

They treated my family special.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear JohnNg54,

On behalf of all the colleagues here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel I would like to express our most sincere appreciation for you choosing to stay with us and for also taking the time to share your wonderful feedback with your fellow travelers.

Each example that you have shared in your story is truly touching and it really gives me so much pride to work with a team that cares so much about their guests. To Andy for remembering you, to Justin and Peter caring for your mother-in-law and to Ginny, Lily and Thomas giving you’re the friendly service you always expect and finally Lily in particular for taking the initiative to send ginger tea to your guest Suraj, I will ensure I personally thank them all.

On another note I do apologize for the inconsistencies in the housekeeping service and we will certainly focus on training and consistency in that area for improvements.

We are looking forward to your next stay and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet you in person and thank you directly for your loyalty to our iconic property.

Best Wishes,

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this beautiful hotel quite early after a long journey from the UK. It was the first stop on our holiday and will be difficult to equal. Our welcome and checkin was the best we have had anywhere. We were offered an upgrade to a suite and we were thrilled with it when we saw it. Our suite was massive with comfortable sofas and chairs and a large welcoming bed in which we slept almost too well! It was a challenge to get up and sight see and it provided a welcome sanctuary contrasting with the constant rain we experienced. We were unlucky with the weather.

Our bathroom was large with a massive shower and roll top bath and two loos. It was beautifully appointed with shiny black marble floors and white marble walls. All the linen was spotless and of the highest quality which was to be expected in a hotel of this standard. We stayed in the sister hotel last year in Vancouver and this was far superior in every way to that Fairmont.

The attention to detail and the service was second to none. Within a short time staff welcomed us by our name and whenever we requested anything the response was instant. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. It really felt like the whole staff were waiting for our requests and did not have any other guests at all. Obviously the hotel was busy as it was Chinese New Year holiday but we only met others at breakfast.

Very well done Fairmont Peace Hotel. You have a truly beautiful hotel and give an experience to match.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear tuppence40,

We are so grateful for you choosing to come and stay with us at the Fairmont Peace Hotel for your visit to Shanghai. It brings a lot of pride when reading through your outstanding feedback and I can assure that it will bring even more as I share with the staff here at the hotel.

In particular I am absolutely thrilled that our team was able to welcome you and get your stay off on the right foot with their caring and attentive service. It is all about first impressions and this is a concept that we work on in our training always.

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time share this wonderful story with the travelling public. I truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back once again and if so I welcome you to email me at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can have the chance to greet you and ensure you have an outstanding stay.

Best wishes,

Beijing, China
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this beautiful hotel for 2 nights in February band it was truly luxurious! We stayed in a gold suite which included afternoon tea daily, breakfast and happy hour which were all fantastic! It was expensive, but worth every penny. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and it was a wonderful stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Little_Welshie1984,

We are absolutely thrilled to have been able to take care of you during this Chinese New Year period. Our iconic property and its location on the bund has no rival when it comes to experiencing such a cultural event like this.

I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us as well as for sharing your wonderful feedback with your fellow travelers. I will look forward to sharing this feedback with the entire team and thanking them for providing you with their outstanding service.

Our team will eagerly await your hopeful return so that we take wonderful care of you once again and create more lasting memories.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel during Chinese New Year. We really enjoyed the hospitality; the staff are friendly and it was a relaxing and festive way to celebrate the Year of the Horse in Shanghai. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting or any expat looking to rekindle their love with their host city: Shanghai.
Be sure to check out the pool and make an appointment at the spa, both great experiences.

Room Tip: Book on the 7th floor!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Patrice M,

I would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for you coming to visit us over this past Chinese New Year holiday. We are absolutely delighted that you had a very memorable experience and we thank you for sharing this with your fellow travelers.

I will look forward to sharing this great feedback with the entire team here and we also hope that as a Shanghai resident it will not be long before we can welcome you back to our iconic property.

Until then I wish you all the best.

General Manager.
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is the my first time to stay at this hotel, really an excellent experience for me. The hotel is a great building at the middle of The Bund which have already passed 100 years. Actually it is a sign for The Bund as I know.
Walking into the lobby, you will have a kind of feeling that you fall into a time river that bring you back to the 1930s…It is just like a museum. They even have an OLD Shanghai Uncle Jazz Band show at the lounge every night. Amazing… And , definitely the services are pretty nice and all the staff are very nice. Strongly recommend !

Room Tip: The city view room can see the Nanjing RD but will be a little bit noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Leo L,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent 1 night here to celebrate a friend’s Birthday. I informed the front desk about this when we check-in about this and they then kindly upgraded us and delivered a full size cake to our room.
The room was amazing (no view) but very comfortable beds and a bathroom to die for with a bathtub with Eagle(?) feet. I love the scent when you step into the lobby and the dancing couples in the jazz bar just added to the charm.
When we got back to our room the same night the staff had presented another cake and also a complimentary bottle of wine. Thank you!!!
The breakfast was served with stunning views of the Bund. Not the best selection now but alright for me. The hotel is just a beautiful old school hotel and the location. The terrace was closed at the time for breakfast but Kevin so kindly escorted me up anyway so I could take some pic's. Thanks again for that!

Room Tip: One with a bathtub!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear China2014,

We are absolutely so delighted to read that you had such a memorable experience for a special occasion such as this birthday. Our team really gets excited when we know guests are celebrating special occasions and I truly hope we were able to make your friend feel special and appreciated as well as yourself of course.

I will take pride in sharing this great story with our team and continue to inspire them to always do more for our guests at every opportunity.

We certainly hope that we will see you again so that we can show you our warm and engaging service once again.

Best wishes,