“The Way We were”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is unique in Shanghai having being influenced by the Imperial British. The rooms are massive, the baths more so. It is like stepping back into the early 19th century in décor only. The hotel is very modern in all it's other aspects. Staff are efficient, rooms are spotlessly clean. You are made to feel extremely important the moment you walk through the door. Something which a lot of lesser hotels cannot manage.
The blues bar is legendary and if you do not have a sense of daft you will probably not get it. A great night for all.
We have now stayed in this hotel on more than ten occasions and would recommend it to anyone. We have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank greeno-martin
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Greeno-Martin,

I would really like to start by sincerely thanking you for your loyalty to our iconic property. It is our absolute pleasure to be able to take care of you and we surely value our connection with you.

It will give me great pride to be able to share these wonderful comments with the entire team and recognize them for their outstanding service to you. I also hope that on your next return I will be able to say hello in person, so I would be delighted if you were to alert me in advance so that I can ensure we take special care of you again.

We will look forward to seeing you again and until then I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Unique restoration back to yesterday with the fabulous modern updates to make you feel pampered. Be sure to splurge on a Gold Floor room. Book a massage in the spa for your first night after the long flight - helps to get adjusted to the time change beautifully. The staff, service, location and personal touches are what make this Fairmont one of their jewels

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PartyAnn

Dear PartyAnn,

I would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for you coming to visit us at our iconic property. We are absolutely delighted that you had a very memorable experience and we thank you for sharing this with your fellow travelers.

I will look forward to sharing this great feedback with our staf and in particular the Fairmont Gold Team here and we also hope that as it will not be long before we can welcome you back once again.

Until then I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Room was huge, service just perfect, view from the terrace impressive, room service fast.

The only negative I the so called Jazz Bar - no Jazz, just crap!

But generally for business and sightseeing perfect location.
Rooms huge and very clean!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Holger D,

I would extend our most sincere appreciation for you choosing to come and stay at our iconic property and for also taking the time to share your experiences.

We are thrilled that overall your experience was memorable however I am very sorry to hear that the Jazz Bar did not live up to its world famous reputation for you. We truly feel that we are blessed to have such a unique and charming experience. So much so that a group of film makers from Germany have created a truly wonderful documentary called “As time Goes By” that is very hart warming and a wonderful testament to the Old Jazz Band and their stake on history in Shanghai.

We truly hope that you will have another opportunity to return to Shanghai and of course allow our staff to take such wonderful care of you once again.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was our first trip to Shanghai and I wanted to stay somewhere that would evoke the city's history. We are well familiar with the Fairmont brand in the U.S. and felt that the Fairmont Peace Hotel would give us the combination of local charm and a reliable level of service. Our expectations were exceeded! For a reasonable additional price we chose to stay on the gold floor. As some have said, this is like being in a hotel within the hotel, with a dedicated lounge where you can have complementary breakfast, afternoon tea, and happy hour drinks. We were also able to relax here after checkout when we had some time to wait for our flight. Our room was truly lovely with many art deco touches, a very comfortable bed, large desk, and deluxe bathroom with two separate sink and counter areas, and even a small TV in the wall above the bathtub. It was nice to have a coffee maker in the room, which not all hotels provide this days. In addition the location of the hotel on the Bund is fantastic. The gold floor staff helped us make dinner reservations nearby and gave us advice about sightseeing and public transport. And although our fifth floor room had no view whatsoever, we did enjoy a fantastic view of the Bund at night when we dined at the Cathay restaurant. Special thanks to Tim and Randy from the Gold Floor for their friendly care of us during our very first trip to Shanghai.

Room Tip: It order to get a view of the Bund you have to upgrade to a fairly expensive suite. But our room wa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DianeMR,

We are absolutely delighted that you had such a memorable experience at our iconic property. I would like to extend my most sincere appreciation to you for choosing to stay with us and for also finding the time to share such positive comments. I will surely take the time to recognize the Fairmont Gold team for their outstanding service to you.

We truly hope that you will be able to return to Shanghai and it would be our distinct pleasure to be able to host you here once again.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I visited Shanghai a year ago, and my local guide took me through the foyer of this hotel and explained some of the history, it was beautiful. When I returned this year, this was where I stayed.

It was the end of January and loved it. It was the beginning of the spring festival/Chinese New year break which seems to be the low season. Lucky for me I guess, as for a few extra dollars I was upgraded to a Fairmont Gold suite on the 7th floor plus all the benefits associated - private check-in, club lounge with almost private service, the staff couldn't do enough for you!, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, an enormous suite, personalised welcome letters, a fruit bowl in the room, etc etc. I have to admit in all my years of travelling, this must have been the first time I have not been able to discover, let alone use, all the features in a room. The room was perfectly silent as well, which is always something I appreciate.

The roof top terrace on the 11th floor is amazing, there was always a beautiful scent up there everywhere you went. Its almost completely covered with a wooden deck and the views are spectacular, all the way along the Bund, across to Pudong, and even up Nanjing Road east. There is also a large old covered bell up on the terrace, but I never found out its significance.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, a chinese one on the 8th floor, and a western one on the 9th floor. I didn't have a meal in either, although I did chat to a couple of the receptionists on the 9th floor one. One girl was nice, and one guy was very pushy, interrogating me until he found out I was a guest of the hotel, and then trying to upsell me breakfast in his restaurant - even after I told him I had breakfast included in the gold club lounge. Luckily I found I could access the terrace on the 11th floor directly, so didn't need to go back past him in future!.

I had a couple of hours to kill on evening so I went down to the Jazz bar on the ground floor for a drink. Nice place to kill some time, especially if you like live Jazz. The surroundings were typically first class, and the service was excellent.

The location of this hotel is perfect. It is central to everything, and everything is an easy walk - even the Peoples park is just a short walk down Nanjng Road east, and the Bund sightseeing tunnel to Pudong, is just across the road.

Room Tip: ask for a gold upgrade when you book :)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tasydney
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear tasydney,

Reviewed 7 February 2014

It’s a rarity to find a great hotel and great service.

Fairmont Peace Hotel is certainly one of them. A great hotel is described by its strategic location, convenient amenities, delightful ambience, and more-than-adequate room size. FPH has it all.

The bathroom is exceedingly large for a deluxe room with a beautiful bathtub thrown in. Every morning and night, I had the aromatic delight of sipping gourmet coffee and tea, compliments of the hotel.

Most of all, this hotel boasts of great service. Allow me to cite some examples.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by Andy, a long-serving doorman, who recognized me from my last visit and whose perpetual smiles and joyful spirit make our day. His other colleagues, like Young, Eric and others also exhibited the same kind of helpful disposition.

The concierge service is truly world class. Peter and Justin are both outstanding employees. My mom-in-law had difficulty walking and they provided her with a wheel chair during the entire stay at the hotel. Initially, the wheel chairs were not available as they had been loaned out to other guests. Not to be disappointed, somehow, they managed to get another one for her the next day. When there was difficulty with the foot rests in the wheelchair, they were quick to repair them.

When I had difficulty with my phone card, Justin accompanied me to a near-by phone company to get it solved. Although it was not resolved, Justin tried his level best to alleviate the problem. I truly admire his persistence and perseverance.

The hotel front office staff were also excellent. Ginny, Lily, Thomas were always so professional and friendly. They ensured that all our needs and requests were promptly attended. They were always interacting with my family and me: warm greetings, expressing concerns and offering good advice. When the staff knew that my roommate, Suraj had taken ill, Justin and Lily promptly offered to send in hot ginger, lemon tea for him. I was overwhelmed by their initiative and thoughtfulness.

However, their housekeeping service was rather inconsistent. Although they have turned on beautiful soft music after the bed was turned, my table had items which were not organized neatly and used towels were not replaced. Shoes sent in for polishing were cleaned haphazardly.

But when my coffee machine was also not working properly, it was rectified immediately after my complaint to the housekeeping department.

Overall, these minor misdeeds did not detract me from the great service experience at the hotel.

With this kind of service and facilities, my family and I will certainly make Fairmont Peace Hotel the hotel of choice for every my visit to Shanghai!

They treated my family special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear JohnNg54,

On behalf of all the colleagues here at the Fairmont Peace Hotel I would like to express our most sincere appreciation for you choosing to stay with us and for also taking the time to share your wonderful feedback with your fellow travelers.

Each example that you have shared in your story is truly touching and it really gives me so much pride to work with a team that cares so much about their guests. To Andy for remembering you, to Justin and Peter caring for your mother-in-law and to Ginny, Lily and Thomas giving you’re the friendly service you always expect and finally Lily in particular for taking the initiative to send ginger tea to your guest Suraj, I will ensure I personally thank them all.

On another note I do apologize for the inconsistencies in the housekeeping service and we will certainly focus on training and consistency in that area for improvements.

We are looking forward to your next stay and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet you in person and thank you directly for your loyalty to our iconic property.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We arrived at this beautiful hotel quite early after a long journey from the UK. It was the first stop on our holiday and will be difficult to equal. Our welcome and checkin was the best we have had anywhere. We were offered an upgrade to a suite and we were thrilled with it when we saw it. Our suite was massive with comfortable sofas and chairs and a large welcoming bed in which we slept almost too well! It was a challenge to get up and sight see and it provided a welcome sanctuary contrasting with the constant rain we experienced. We were unlucky with the weather.

Our bathroom was large with a massive shower and roll top bath and two loos. It was beautifully appointed with shiny black marble floors and white marble walls. All the linen was spotless and of the highest quality which was to be expected in a hotel of this standard. We stayed in the sister hotel last year in Vancouver and this was far superior in every way to that Fairmont.

The attention to detail and the service was second to none. Within a short time staff welcomed us by our name and whenever we requested anything the response was instant. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. It really felt like the whole staff were waiting for our requests and did not have any other guests at all. Obviously the hotel was busy as it was Chinese New Year holiday but we only met others at breakfast.

Very well done Fairmont Peace Hotel. You have a truly beautiful hotel and give an experience to match.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear tuppence40,

We are so grateful for you choosing to come and stay with us at the Fairmont Peace Hotel for your visit to Shanghai. It brings a lot of pride when reading through your outstanding feedback and I can assure that it will bring even more as I share with the staff here at the hotel.

In particular I am absolutely thrilled that our team was able to welcome you and get your stay off on the right foot with their caring and attentive service. It is all about first impressions and this is a concept that we work on in our training always.

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time share this wonderful story with the travelling public. I truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back once again and if so I welcome you to email me at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can have the chance to greet you and ensure you have an outstanding stay.

Best wishes,