“Another Gold stay”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #9 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is the hotel that I stay in Shanghai when possible; This time, I choose Gold room, because I have not done so; the gold lounge is very big, and relax atmosphere, many good choice of breakfast;
The only problem I encounter is internet connections, very slow connections, although it is included in the rate, I expect better connecting speed from the hotel;

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Albert T,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for continually choosing to stay with us during your time in Shanghai. We greatly value your loyalty and I will work hard with our team here to ensure that each time you return that is how you feel… Valued!!

Please know that we will continue to deep dive into our internet connectivity and ensure that we are overcoming any issues that may arise with its quality.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and our team is looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Kindest regards,

General Manager.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Fairmont Peace Hotel is a perfect blend of the present and past Shanghai. A historic building, but with modern facilities, a classy but also efficient service and a magnificent but also convenient location by the Bund and Nanjing Road. Some excellent restaurants are a walking distance from the hotel, such as Mr. and Mrs. Bund, M on the Bund and Lost Heaven. The internal décor has kept all the features of the original neoclassical and art deco styles and the atmosphere seems to transport you to the 20's and 30's when West used to meet the East. In the afternoon, at tea time, one of the saloons reenacts all the mis-en-scene where and when people used to go to the hotel to dance the waltzes and foxes of the moment and at night the oldest jazz bar of the city comes alive like in the old times. There are two bands who play at the premises: one is an old boys band (some people say jokingly that they are the same pleople that played since the foundation of the hotel) and the other is a more modern one with a seductive singer singing old Shanghainese tunes. The whole stay comes at a hefty price, but then you are also paying for the living museum and theatrical character of the place, which makes it unique among the top hotels in Shanghai.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room that has view to the river Whampoa.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Edmundo F,

I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at our iconic property, we are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable experience and felt the unique presence of such an iconic building. We really are so lucky to be taking care of this hotel that has so much charm and history combined with the modern amenities and service you should expect.

I will look forward to sharing with our entire team your outstanding impressions of our hotel. It will instill a lot of pride in them as it has already done for me.

Finally we hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a 2 week trip around Asia and it was a perfect end to a memorable trip.

The service from the moment you arrive is excellent with helpful and polite staff with excellent English throughout the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble and they make your say a easy and pleasant stay.

The whole hotel had a calm peaceful and timeless classic elegance about it. Great Art Deco design throughout and comfortable also.

The rooms are a great size and you have everything you need.

Great restaurants and bars also and the perfect location on the Bund to explore or admire the skyline.

Spa is also excellent.

One of the nicest hotels I have stayed in (and I have stayed in a fair few).

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Tappers Travels,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

What a wonderful stay! From the arrival experience to the beautifully appointed rooms, from the moment we opened our eyes in teh mronig we knew we were in a special place, the lamps, the ceilings, the bathrooms what fantastic room product.

The breakfast buffet was impressive allowing us to taste the wonders of china and asia with familiar options as well! The deck overlooking Shanghai was breathtaking, and the spa was exquisite.

But what really made our stay was the Hotel's staff; the incredible Lilly Li at the concirege desk understood our exact taste with a few questions and was able to deter and direct to the right activities and locations, with so many options we could have wasted all week in the wrong places without her masterful guidance! Sarah at Victor's made su feel at home after a day of explorations, suggesting meals based on our tastes, we felt at ease and as we had arrived to our beautiful haven amid the bustling noise of Shanghai. Vincent at the Door greeting us or fetching a cab.. we felt so pampered. Front desk was ready for us at time of chekcout and quickly and promptly addressed our every question in a gentle and clear way.

Since I work for a luxury hotel is sometimes hard to be impressed, but when we are we realize and value the effort and importance of great staff. We are so grateful for this! Kudos to those behind the scenes facilitating and empowering a great team!

Thank you Thank you!

Room Tip: Any room is amazing, however if you can afford the suites facing the river, how can you not fall asl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear elmaqroll,

On behalf the entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. I am absolutely delighted to see that our team took such special care of you during your stay and you were able to take advantage of many aspects in our hotel.

This feedback will surely go a long way here at the property to recognize and teach our people what our service culture is all about. Especially your comments about Lily our Guest Relations Manager, and Sara our lovely Victors Café Server.

I certainly hope that a visit back to Shanghai will be in the future for you and I hope that you can alert me to your stay so that I can greet you and ensure that everything is perfect for you once again. Until then I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've been lucky enough to visit a lot of wonderful hotels all over the world, this one is very special. It is in an amazing location in Shanghai, the rooms are beautiful with lovely details and perhaps best of all, the service is superb. I had a terrific massage from Helen. But she wasn't alone, everyone was charming and helpful. I cannot recommend this hotel too warmly, it is a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BryherS
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear BryherS,

It will give me great pleasure to be able to thank Helen from our Willow Stream Spa and the entire team for their warm and engaging service to you.

I would like to thank you for coming to stay with us and we sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed two nights in room 131. The room was just great. I loved the Espresso machine especially. What I found most excellent though was the friendly service that let you forget that you are staying in a hotel but rather with friends.
Nevertheless our stay was a bit indifferent. On the first morning for breakfast everything was great but on the second morning (Qingming Sunday) there were so many people that the staff was not able to handle this. The food supply was really slow and I was a bit disappointed. Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay and can hardly imagine a better hotel to stay in when being in Shanghai.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear BryherS,

I am really delighted to read that our staff was so attentive to your needs and provided the engaging service you should expect from us. On the other hand I would like to apologize for the breakfast experience you have shared. I will certainly work on this with our team here to improve consistency.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is one of the true Gems of Shanghai, lots of character, great service, great location and great food. Stayed five days and enjoyed every one. Upgrade to Exec floor if you can, service is impeccable, especially Simon and Sandy. Don't miss a night in the Jazz Bar, same group playing since 1980, eldest player is 92, hope I'm that active at that age. Try it out, you won't regret it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Allenhkg
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Allenhg,

I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at our iconic property, we are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable experience enjoying the world famous Old Jazz Band and our wonderful staff.

I will surely take the time to personally thank Simon and Sandy for their outstanding service to you. Thank you for that opportunity.