“Five stars are not enough”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Feilding, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Five stars are not enough”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

A superb hotel. It was unfortunate we had health problems. The staff could not do enough to help us. We were escorted to the Global Health Clinic for two visits. They cooked bespoke meals for us. I cannot praise this hotel enough and recommend it to everyone. Luxurious attentive and superbly located.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet S
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Janet S,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us.

I am really delighted to read that our staff was so attentive to your needs and provided the engaging service you should expect from us.

Finally we hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back

George Wee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai and greeted by Robert, Operations Manager and Simon, our Butler for our stay, we knew our visit was going to be special. We booked a Fairmont Gold level room on the 7th floor which provides access to the Club on the 9th floor. The room facilities were excellent, particularly the luxurious bathroom and appointments and rooms were cleaned promptly and efficiently each day. The staff working in the Club area were extremely professional, helpful and always willing to go the extra mile. Our thanks to Fairmont Gold Manager, Sandy and her excellent team – Simon, Alfred, Julie, Tim and Grace for making our stay memorable. Other staff to mention are Concierge, Justin who secured brilliant tables at restaurants, organised day trips and directions for taxi drivers in Chinese / English to make travelling around Shanghai easy. We were always greeted by staff throughout the hotel in a courteous and professional manner.

The Fairmont Peace Hotel’s ambience, history and location coupled with a sense of luxury make this hotel a special Shanghai destination.

Room Tip: Fairmont gold level
1 Thank Peter M
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Peter M,

This feedback will surely go a long way here at the property to recognize and teach our people what our service culture is all about and how lucky we are to be working in such an amazing hotel. I particular I will take the time to thank Justin, Simon, Alfred, Julie, Grace, Sandy and Robert for taking great care of you.

I certainly hope that a visit back to Shanghai will be in the future for you and I hope that you can alert me to your stay so that I can greet you and ensure that everything is perfect for you once again. Until then I wish you all the best.

Best Wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Arrived to check in to find that the hotel had lost our reservation. Fortunately our tour guide was with us to help resolve. Customer service was non existent as 30 minutes had passed without them offering us a cold drink of water which I eventually had to ask for being a hot day.

The whole episode was a total disgrace being in mind this is not a cheap hotel and Is part of the Fairmont Group. Our guide suggested to the hotel they put us in a room without us having to look like lost souls in a foreign country, whilst they sort out the reservation. Perhaps Fairmont should have done this without prompting. By the evening it was resolved but with no apology. However, we were able to enjoy the benefits of the hotel. Both the western and Chinese restaurants were very good with an excellent location to the Bund. With regard to the room it was a lovely view of a brick wall.

Room Tip: Check if room view is a brick wall or a street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Mebear-Jm,

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this most recent experience at our property. I can assure you that we are very disappointed that our service let you down on this visit and we will certainly dig into each of your points shared.

I also want to thank you for this opportunity to allow us to follow this up and teach our people how to better care for our guests and show empathy when challenges arise. I can assure you this type of service is not in our culture to accept.

Should you be planning a return to Shanghai I would like to invite you to email me directly at George.wee@fairmont.com so that I can personally express my apologies and also ensure your next visit is perfect.

I will look forward to you hopeful return.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for thee nights at the end of our visit to China. We arranged a transfer through the hotel from the airport on arrival which worked well. The hotel is in a terrific location on the Bund. It has been beautifully restored. Public areas are very impressive.
Not many rooms have views but that was how the hotel was designed and built. The rooms are very comfortable with lovely marble bathrooms with a separate shower. However, there is only one bar of soap for the two basins that are at opposite sides of the bathroom. There is a walk in wardrobe with iron and ironing board and extra pillows. Unfortunately the rooms do not contain a blanket in the closet as they do in the Fairmont in Beijing. We had to ring guest services to arrange for a blanket to be delivered to our room and it was difficult to communicate what we wanted at first. Access to guest rooms is by key card only and I thought that the security in the hotel was pretty good.
Bottled water is supplied and there is a coffee machine. I must say I think that unlimited amounts of bottled water should be supplied, but that is a minor criticism. If you are a club member wifi is complimentary otherwise there is a charge. There was also a plate of fruit in our room.
Breakfast is on the 8th level and the dining room is gorgeous and has lovely views over the Bund and river. The buffet has a reasonable selection of food - but the coffee (from the expresso machine) tended to be warm rather than hot.
The gym is a little small but adequate. There is also a yoga room with more weights and swiss balls.
We went to the Jazz Bar one evening – I was advised that as it was a Wednesday night there was no need to make a reservation (which was expensive) and we turned up about 7-15pm and were given a table. We really enjoyed the jazz – and had a couple of drinks.
We also found the doormen really helpful – they got taxis for us and gave the taxi drivers instructions in Mandarin about where we needed to go. Unlike other tourists we were never overcharged.
All in all a very good hotel in a superb location. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Go55
Dear Go55,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for you choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experiences.

We are absolutely thrilled that you could enjoy the art deco design and charm of this iconic property, while our staff was able to provide warm and engaging service to you. I will look forward to sharing your story with my team here and recognizing them for taking great care of you during your stay. They will all be very proud.

We certainly hope that you will be returning to Shanghai and we would be delighted to be able to welcome you back to our iconic property.

Beau Bassin - Rose Hill
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Two years ago we visited this historic hotel and this year decided to stay there during our visit to Shanghai.We loved all about it - the spacious room with luxurious amenities, helpful English speaking staff, swimming pool and hammam, small museum which we went to again and its location on the Bund. The only snag was that once we checked out and were waiting for our taxi , the lobby does not have a big seating capacity and the toilets cannot be accessed unless you ask someone to open the doors for you which is not so convenient.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Marie P,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The Fairmont Peace Hotel lives up proudly to the Fairmont standards... In a renovated 1920's historic building fit with both charm and modern convenience. The room... Lovely; the bathroom ... Upscale; the welcome chocolates & pastry... Unexpected; the turn-down service ... Attentive; the morning buffet... Delicious with a beautiful high-floor view of the skyline across the river; location could not be better... Across from the Bund; the concierge ... Incredibly helpful preparing business breakfasts as well as tours of the old city; the facility .... Stunning to the eyes and the lobby filled aromas of the orient. What is not to like? Nothing. Don't hesitate to stay.... One of the finer Fairmonts I've had the pleasure of staying at. Overall great service, security and facility.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chartmannn
Dear Chartmannn,

On behalf the entire team I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. I am absolutely delighted to see that our team took such special care of you during your stay.

Best Wishes,

Curzay-sur-Vonne, France
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I was on business trip in Shanghai. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. I was really busy so I had no chance to use all services at the hotel. I was quite regrettable. The first moment I came, I really impressed with hotel lounge, reception area, and hall. They are huge with luxury design. My room and bathroom were spacious, but the bath tub was small for me.

• Stayed November 2013