“A combination of Old World Elegance and 21st Century luxury”

Fairmont Peace Hotel
Ranked #7 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“A combination of Old World Elegance and 21st Century luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a Fairmont Gold Room, which was luxurious, as you would expect, with a beautiful and well appointed bathroom. We never worked out how to open the curtains and there was no view as such-but we had not asked for one-but apart from that, it was a delightful retreat after a hard day's sightseeing.
The Executive Club was lovely and had a nice clubby feel to it and the Breakfast and "Happy Hour" fare were both superb!
The Lobby has to have a particular mention. It is spectacular and whatever modernisation has been done, it still exudes that 1930's glamour.
We arrived after a severely delayed flight from Guilin, to a charming welcome and all the staff were exemplary.
In my opinion, the best place to stay in Shanghai!
There is a wonderful view of the fabulous skyline from the 9th floor terrace.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank connell66
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear connell66,

We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us during time in Shanghai. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience with the travelling public.

I will certainly take the time to share your wonderful feedback with our entire team especially our Fairmont Gold staff to thank them for their warm and engaging service to you.

We hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back.

George Wee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Bad service , impolite staffs, aged rooms and furniture, never clean their coffee machine in room ( truly never ) , full of tourists, badly manner "rich drunken guess " around the hotel , bad concierge staffs . Avoid at all cost , try Langham or four season. Please you may come to visit the historic lobby hall. But never stay in this hotel, overpriced , badly managed staffs, if not unhappy staffs overall. Tried to express my complains to the staff at the gold lounge check out desk, the gentleman seems avoid my complain if not pretend to have never hear what I told him. Bad bad bad is the experience I had in this hotel . Stayed in Langham and four season , they are another level from fairmont peace hotel . This fairmont is exceptionally under par . Avoid at all cost

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Yeennung
Dear Yeennung,

It is without doubt that we have been very concerned with the experience that you have shared with regards to your most recent stay with us. I cannot express enough how disappointed we all are about your experience given the hard work we put in to emphasize our service culture, and I can assure you this is nowhere near our expectations. Needless to say this is a tough lesson to learn at this time and it is up to us now to use this feedback in the right way to teach and inspire our people to do much better.

I am very thankful as well that you have been able to connect with our Director of Operations regarding your concerns and I truly hope that he has been able to express how seriously we are taking this. As I understand it there will be an opportunity for you to return and I am very much looking forward to that. I would also like to extend my personal contact information to you at George.wee@fairmont.com if there is anything that I can do for you in the future. Please do not hesitate to let me know.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai was across the street from the Bund river walk which was so convenient and added to the excitement. This older hotel still has a lot of old charm and ambience. The restaurant had great food and views overlooking the Bund. I would love to go back tomorrow and see more of Shanghai. It was easy to get around too.The Fairmont Peace Hotel staff were great and very accommodating.

Room Tip: English speaking staff so no worries there.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carbajalj
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear carbajalj,

What an absolute pleasure it was to have you staying with us during your time in Shanghai. I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you taking the time to share your wonderful comments about our beautiful property and for recognizing our colleagues for providing their warm and engaging service to you.

I will look forward to sharing this wonderful feedback with the entire team. We are greatly looking forward to your return and we wish you all the best until then.

General Manager.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont peace hotel for 6 days while in Shanghai.
The Fairmont Peace hotel is a beautiful historic building,has a great location & is also comfortable with friendly & accommodating staff.
The staff were really helpful, and gave great information.. They spoke good english and understood all that I needed..
They changed money when I needed it, sorted out restaurant bookings..
The gym and pool areas were ideal..
My room was spacious and very comfortable, coffee machine in room was good.. DVD player and DVD's available is a good thing, bed was comfortable.. and bathroom spacious.. oh yes and I loved the lab rose soaps etc.. .
The coffee shop down stairs was expensive, but good .. with a great view to the street.. to watch people go by..
I enjoyed the Chinese restaurant upstairs.
There are so many great restaurants and bars to visit in this area..
A great place to stay in Shanghai .. Thanks

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor .. no views to speak of.. Ask to be on a no smoking floor if you don't...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chriskringle
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Chriskringle,

We greatly appreciate that you were able to explore our many outlets and also that you recognized our staff for providing warm and engaging service to you.

St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The loveliest bathroom I've ever seen, gorgeous Art Deco hotel, with lovely staff in a perfect setting just off The Bund. Highly recommended. Facilities are excellent, as is the food. Great value for money from a western point of view - can't compare with other hotels in Shanghai.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Deb L
Dear Deb L,

I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at our iconic property, we are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable experience and felt the unique presence of such an iconic building.

We really are so lucky to be taking care of this hotel that has so much charm and history combined with the modern amenities and service you should expect.

Montreal, QC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was selected by Viking River Cruises as part of our Roof the of the World Tour in mid April. The level of service and the comfort were so comforting at the end of a long flight.

The hotel is old but has been revived with the latest in-room technology and a level of customer service that is not often found in the West.

Our room did not have a view but was completely quiet at night, or for that matter, at any time of day. The bathroom was extraordinary, with black and white marble and double sinks. The hotel is located on a side street across from the Bund, which makes it an easy stroll to take in the neighborhood or the evening lights on the Bund. The hotel is close to a shopping area as well as small local shops.

Our breakfast was included and offered a wonderful array of local dishes and those pleasing to the western palate. Lots of fresh breads, fruits, yogurt, cheeses, smoked fish, etc.

Within the hotel there is a cafe which serves a good variety of small meals and offers lovely pastries. The lounge on the main floor is a quiet oasis for a relaxed beverage served elegantly. The main restaurant is a la carte, and portions are small but tasty. There is even a small museum of the hotel's history off the main floor.

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: An inner court room lacks a view but is so quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeltaDawn2
Dear DeltaDawn2,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We are so delighted that we could be the sanctuary of comfort for you after long flight here from home.

I am really happy to read that our staff was so attentive to your needs and provided the engaging service you should expect from us and so glad to see that you got experience some our outlets during your stay.

Finally we hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you are looking for a hotel with modern decor mixed with classic Shanghai history, this is the place! Originally, the only 5 star hotel in Shanghai back in the 1920's, it was completely gut renovated a few years ago with 5 star quality furnishings but still preserving the rich history and glory of the original architecture. The great service under Guest Relations Manager Lily is first class, you will not be disappointed. I use to stay at the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton when in Shanghai, but because of the excellent service at this hotel, this has been my first choice when visiting Shanghai for the past few years. The manager and her staff are top notch and one of the best in town. They always make me feel its my home away from home. Whether you are staying with clients, family, good friends or just want a romantic room for two, this hotel is highly recommended as the excellent service has always been consistent and reliable. The manager and her staff always went above and beyond to make sure I had the best experience during each of my stays. Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steven W
Dear Steven K,

What an absolute pleasure it is to receive this wonderful feedback from you as one of our many time repeat guests. We truly value your loyalty to this property and I can assure that our team will always do our very best to continue to earn it.

I want to thank you very much for recognizing Lily and her entire team for the warm and engaging service they have consistently provided to you. I will look forwarded to sharing your comments with them and recognizing them for their efforts.

Thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again very soon.

Kind Regards,