“Give Peace a Chance”

Ranked #7 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“Give Peace a Chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was fortunate to have been a guest at the Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai for a major evening function.

The Hotel is right across from the famous Bund visited by thousands each day. Very traditional and a truly five star property the Fairmont Peace Hotel is a must visit for any tourist or the corporate traveller. The decor is truly worth a look with the foyer area an attraction itself.

The food is creative, the decor very traditional and the service professional. If visitors do nothing else they must visit the rooftop area for drinks and a view that is one in a million as it captures the bund is its full glory. A great place to idle a few hours with drinks and food.

A must visit.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor possible and enjoy the view of the Bund.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg B
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Greg B,

We are absolutely delighted to read your outstanding feedback and we are very proud and happy to see that your visit will leave lasting memories for you.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team and we are eagerly awaiting your return so that we can show you our warm and engaging hospitality once again.

Kind Regards,

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The historical building adds legend and elegance of the hotel. The building is beautifully rennovated.

Guest room:
+ nice setting and elegantly decorated
+ high quality bedding
+ large bathroom
- bathroom cleanliness is a question. Found hair and dust when I just checked in
- AV setting is kind of vintage
- There is a bottle of used bottled water place in my room

- Staff are proud of their building but when problem occurs, seems that they can relate all the problems to the aged building without much initiative to think of solutions for their guests
- Check in staff attitide is not match with this elegant building. Relatively vulgar and rude.
- Same as front office staff, restaurant staff in breakfast buffet talked loudly and very neglecting. Staff do not know what Earl Grey is.

Breakfast
- very limited choice and you can see how this hotel raise its margin by offering low quality food.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear True_Hotelier,

I would to thank you very much for choosing to come and stay with us for your most recent visit to Shanghai. I must extend my most sincere apologies for your experience however as I can assure you the impression our staff has left with you is nowhere near the culture of service that we work so hard to achieve. When presented with a challenge this is where our people need to shine and become creative to find the best possible solutions. I am very sorry we did not accomplish this for you.

Obviously your feedback is deeply concerning and I can assure you that when shared with the particular teams that you have highlighted we will ensure that it is understood and taken seriously for improvements.

I would like to invite you to email me directly at George.wee@fairmont.com as I would like to better understand more details and also work on restoring your confidence in our great property to ensure that you will look at a return visit with us. I will look forward to your hopeful further communication.

General Manager.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Peace for 3 nights. Even though we arrived at the hotel around 9am the staff worked very hard to make a room available for us as soon as possible. We booked the Exec Floor which was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Maggie2705
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Maggie2705 ,

On behalf of the entire team here I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us.

I am really delighted to read that our staff was so attentive to your needs and provided the engaging service you should expect from us.

Kindest Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Limited hotel information at check-in, service not at the same level as other Fairmont Properties. Historic building with beautiful classic and new furnishings in room and Fairmont touches (turn down service, plush slippers). Only had a short stay before a morning flight (otherwise location is ideal for exploring the city and enjoying the Bund!) but had a full evening of enjoying the jazz bar (great hospitality, fun atmosphere), admiring the historic building, and taking some photos. Dined at the Dragon Phoenix Restaurant, would avoid it in the future - not what was expected for the establishment. Gold Level Floor an awkward experience at this facility. As a hotel guest, the historic displays down the same hall as guest elevators, lead to negotiating the hectic sightseeing crowds. Stay for the historic experience, some timeless beauty, and gorgeous bathroom - worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Evan H,

I would like to sincerely thank you for coming to stay with us and for also taking the time to share your feedback on your experience.

You are absolutely right to say that this property we are a truly iconic hotel along with unbeatable location, however we have a responsibility to also live up to the service that is expected of us.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies and concerns that you have experienced. I can assure you that the entire team and key leaders are aware of this and are working on improving our consistency.

I do certainly hope that a return to Shanghai will be in the future for you and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again. If this is possible I would like to invite you to contact me directly at geoerge.wee@fairmont.com once you have booked so that I can ensure we are ready to welcome you back.

Kindest Regards,

Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excellent central location.Magnificent view from Rooftop terrace.
Landmark Hotel has rich Shanghai history and lobby is like museum.
Friendly Staffs. Room has high sealing and spacious.
Jazz Bar is fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Jack W,

I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing to come and stay with us at our iconic property, we are absolutely thrilled that you had a memorable experience and felt the unique presence of such an iconic building. We really are so lucky to be taking care of this hotel that has so much charm and history combined with the modern amenities and service you should expect.

I will look forward to sharing with our entire team your outstanding impressions of our hotel. It will instill a lot of pride in them as it has already done for me.

Finally we hope that a return to Shanghai will be I the future for you and we would be so thankful to be able to welcome you back.

Best Wishes,

South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

WOW!! After nearly two weeks in China our last stop was Shanghai and we clearly saved the best for last as far as hotels are concerned. Where to start? Location, location, location--having traveled the world we would say that The Bund as it overlooks new Shanghai is one of the world's great avenues, rivaling Ipanema Beach in Rio and the Champs Elysees in Paris and the Peace has a primo location. Rooms--spacious, clean, quiet, elegantly decorated, roomy bath with twin vanities and spectacular marble décor. Elegant lobby with many historical pictures from the hotel's colonial past. Amenities--fabulous spa and pool area with very attentive staff, excellent breakfast buffet in eighth floor location with windows overlooking new Shanghai, great outdoor cocktail area with 180 degree views for miles, exceptionally professional and well trained front desk staff and concierge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear dubaytom

What an absolute pleasure it is to receive your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at our one of kind iconic property. I can assure that I speak for our entire team when I say that we could not be more proud to have been the perfect end to your travels in China.

I will look forward to sharing this outstanding experience with our entire team and encourage them to use this as inspiration for many guests to come. We certainly hope that a return trip will be in the future for you and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Wishes,

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Love this hotel, its history, its aura. Walk in and you feel transported in time and place.
I'd never stay anywhere else in Shanghai, it's just so perfect; location- just walk straight out onto the Bund - service- smiling, fast, friendly and uncomplicated - and great food. Last day was tired and took a takeaway form Victor's and just chilled in the room.
Had a fab jetlag killer massage, can just recommend a treatment, sheer bliss and excellent therapists.
In all, nothing else to wish for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Fairmont Peace Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Gunnel B,

I would to express our sincere appreciation for you choosing to come and stay with us during your time in Shanghai. We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience and I can assure you that we will not waste this opportunity to thank our team for their service to you.

I would also like to thank you for taking your time to share this wonderful feedback with the travelling public and we are truly hoping to see you back once again so we can show you our warm and engaging hospitality.

Kindest regards,