“Great location near The Bund for a reasonable price”
Review of Astor House Hotel

Astor House Hotel
Ranked #93 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My son and I spent 2 nights at the Astor House Hotel. I checked out several other places and the price for the proximity to the The Bund is very reasonable. The hotel is just over a little bridge from one end of The Bund (not too far from The Peninsula Hotel). We had a very spacious ground/basement-level floor with two beds. I asked for a quiet room and it was quiet but dark, just one little basement window - but when we were in the room we wanted to rest/sleep so that was fine. I agree the hotel is historically interesting and does look a worn out but I thought it was fine for the price. We had no problem getting two room keys and we found the front desk staff to be friendly and very helpful with restaurant suggestions, breaking large bills, and arranging a taxi to the airport. Cleaning staff was also very friendly and good.

We did not eat in the hotel as there were a number of small restaurants a few minutes walk from the hotel for easily half the price. Every place either had a menu with photos and/or a menu with some English translations, even the Mom & Pop hole-in-the-wall place around the corner. I tried a Starbucks and another coffee place next-door to the Starbucks on The Bund - pricey and just not very good. Stick to tea in the room or bring your own instant coffee. In the morning we had The Bund almost to ourselves. By evening the place was packed. It rained the whole 2 days, bring a small collapsible umbrella.

Taking the Maglev train from the airport will take you about 3/4 of the way to the hotel. It is 40 CNY if you show a boarding pass for the day you are traveling on the train, otherwise it is 50 CNY per person one way. Total for 2 persons for the Maglev and taxi from the Longyang Road station (I think that is the name, whatever the end-of-the-line is for the Maglev train) to the hotel is about the same as catching a cab all the way from the airport but the train is a much faster and more pleasant ride. Word of caution - the cab drivers at the Longyang Road station will try to rip you off. I knew the fare directly from the airport should be around 150 CNY and the first cab driver at the Longyang Road asked for 380CNY to go the remaining 10-15 minutes. I finally negotiated another driver down to 100CNY but I knew I was still paying too much. Also noticed the driver turned the meter off. I thought the scariest taxi ride I've had was in Beijing but the return ride from the hotel to the airport was the scariest and most reckless because of the high speed. Had I known how terrifying the ride to the airport would be I would have taken the cab only to the train station and taken the Maglev back to the airport. I talked to several other travelers at the airport and they all said that is just the way the taxi drivers are in Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NWS_Seattle

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent three nights in the Astor House Hotel Shanghai. Yes this hotel is old and a little run down,but it makes up for that with charm and character , The room we had was large and well appointed,we were offered an upgrade at a cost but didn't think it was required as the room we has was quite good.The floors are timber the beds are large and comfortable we didn't have breakfast there as it was fairly expensive, there are resturants and bars in the adjacent street and the food was of a good quality in these local resturants . You only need to walk across the nearby bridge and you are at the Bund, it is probably 500mts to Nanjing St East, which is the main shopping street, this street is quite long so either get a taxi to the West end of this street (14 yuan ) or the Metro from the East to West station to see it all.The airport is easily accessed from the Metro a price of 5 yuan pp as against around 200 yuan by taxi and the Metro is quicker from the airport take line 2 or 10 to Nanjing St East the a taxi to the hotel less than one klm cost 14 yuan ( the smallest fee ).

Room Tip: Our room was a deluxe there are smaller rooms , the deluxe is a good sized room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKaussi
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay, as the Hotel has a great location, spacious rooms and an interesting history and decor, but it could do with a bit of TLC.

Staff were good, the little cafe in the foyer very good.

Biggest issue was the road noise.

I would stay here again, but a few improvements and it would be a definate recommendation. As is it nearly got an average.

Room Tip: Try and have it high and away from the road
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PeterBarras
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your feedback to us and I am pleased that overall you liked our hotel.The Astor House Hotel has more than 160 years history. It is the very first western hotel property all over China. The transportation is very convenience. We really appreciate your positive comments on the hotel.You mentioned about the noise problem, we have used in the recent renovation of the soundproof glass for improvement, we will continue to use the soundproof glass in the future, we hope to give our guests a pleasant stay. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed there last weekend. Guess my expectations might have been a little too high from reading the other reviews. There are really only two things to recommend the hotel--the location and the great history. However, really pretty run down, front desk would not even let us have 2 room keys and were very unhelpful when we were looking for where to by train tickets, door men didn't open the doors. My next trip to Shanghai will not include a stay here. I'd rather just visit historic sites and then go back to a more well kept hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel is in a great location. It was pouring rain and taxis kept passing us up. The front desk basically said we were out of luck. The bell man on the other hand found some umbrellas for us that were checked out to us for a deposit. The room was spacious, quiet and very comfortable. The hotel itself was caught in time and had the feeling of being in times past as you walked through the corridors. In all a nice experience.

Room Tip: Our room was facing a side street with very little view but also very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

now as other reviewers have said this hotel is only for the historically minded if you like spacious rooms that have wooden floors and pre WWII decor, great views of the Bund, incredible public areas and reception rooms then this place is good value for money.. better, almost than neighbouring Broadway mansions where i normally stay, except that the latter is a hotel of a better class. Downsides: surly reception, just Ok breakfast (but free espresso!) slightly tacky and creaky corridors and a bar that is a ripoff (minibar pricesd in the room are quite fine though) Lots of good eating places close by but nowhere near a subway

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear guest,Thank you so much for your suggestion about our hotel’s facilities and customer services. We would like to renew the rooms appropriately while keeping the traditional style and specialties. We sincerely wish you understand. We will also enhance the training of our employees as well as the service contents, provide you a more comfortable living surroundings and best services. Thank you again for your sincere advice and reminding, looking forward to serving you next time.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We chose this historical hotel for its marvellous location on the Bund and booked a penthouse room. However the category could be a little misleading: the penthouse rooms are not the double-storey glass-walled, glamour-puss rooms of say, Las Vegas, but merely good-size rooms which have been tucked under the building's roof, much like a Parisian garret - with none of the poverty.

The hotel is on the North end of the Bund and a short walk over the almost-adjacent Garden Bridge and you are on the Bund proper with its magnificent buildings and incredible views over to the skyline including the show-stopping Oriental Pearl Tower.

You could assume for a such a world-class location that English is spoken everywhere but you'd be wrong as we had to use a lot of sign language and pointing to get ourselves understood. Mastering a few phrases in Chinese such as "Xie xie" (zhay zhay) for "thank you" will get you a smile.

Our room had a vestibule for the fridge, safe and wardrobe, a smart black and white bathroom, and one of the hardest beds I've ever slept on. My husband woke up on our first morning here covered in mosquito bites - mozzies are a real problem in Shanghai - while I did not. I'm not sure if it's because I take Vitamin B which apparently mozzies and he can't bear - but they left me alone. Still, not a great start to the trip.

We had breakfast on our second day in the breakfast room which was a mix of unremarkable Chinese and Western dishes. The breakfast staff had all the charm of a tax collector - come on, guys, give us a smile! They gave the distinct impression they hate tourists, or at least us interrupting their day.

There are two massage salons on the ground floor with the better one being the one at the back, down a corridor to the left.

While we won't be returning to Shanghai in a hurry (did I mention that the old area - not the Bund, however - smells eyewateringly of urine and excrement with signs pleading with people not to relieve themselves everywhere?), this place is an absolute bargain for the location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple