“Big rooms, good location, historic feeling, great price”
Review of Astor House Hotel

Astor House Hotel
Ranked #79 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Berlin
“Big rooms, good location, historic feeling, great price”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I liked this hotel very much for staying in Shanghai. Its not necessarily the most central one but location is good. Taxis are so inexpensive in Shanghai so location is not the greatest of the concerns, still when staying at this hotel you can go walking to the bund at night to see the lights show at Pudongs skyscrappers.

The rooms are huge. I like the style of the hotel which is historic and old furniture. But still elegant and clean. Several relevant historical people have stayed in this hotel in the past like Alberto Einstein or Bertrand Russel among others.

The price was good, there was no breakfast but thats ok. You can buy a late-checkout up to 18:00 which is convenient if you are departing at night. Overall I like the hotel, I will go again. Breakfast and service/amenities could be better but for the price we got it, it was unbeatable.

Room Tip: The corners rooms have more windows
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Some people like brand new furniture, ride in ultra modern elevators and mingle in lobby full of glass and the finest sofas. That would be a Grand Hyatt which has not much in common with Astor House.

Personally I absolutely love this very old and unique hotel that's so full of character I will forever compare all hotels to this one.

My room had high ceilings, grand doors to a separate seating area, ancient wood floors, very basic furniture, gorgeous old doors, and a very clean and spacious bathroom.

The lobby I could stay in for weeks and never get tired of sitting there looking out the ornate windows contemplating life. The creaky hallways so full of tasteful pieces of this hotel's 160 year old history.

This is where Hemingway would have written another masterpiece. TS Eliot would have given the world even more quotes had he discovered this hotel. So full of artistic inspiration, I hope the Chinese never change it. I believe locals are proud of Astor House, and rightly so. For anyone visiting Shanghai, if you are lucky enough to find out about Astor House, by all means book a room here you will never forget or regret your stay.

Wonderful staff also.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AmazingEleph
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Astor House Hotel: this is certainly one of China's last remaining elegant hotels. It combines the classic style of Victorian architecture with all of the modern day mod cons! We had 3 days and 2 nights here in Shangahi at the Astor House hotel. It was beautiful, the staff were very helpful and obliging. The breakfast, taken in the original ballroom with it beautiful inlaid floors and enormously high decorated ceilings, was of the highest standard. This ballroom, complete with the Minuet Ballroom music at breakfast time, takes one back in time to the grand old days. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Richard Executive Room, which was big and spacious, and we loved the glass wall to the bathroom (there is a motorised blind to block this off if required )! This was our first visit to Shanghai, and now that we consider ourselves locals (!) we certainly would recommend this hotel. The location is perfect and is in walking distance of The Bund and all it's activities. It is the epitome of what Shanghai is all about for the English!

Room Tip: We recommend room 218
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear guest,The Astor House Hotel is a distinguished gathering place for both Chinese and foreign political figures, as well as well-known celebrities. Dignitaries such as Albert Einstein, Charlie Chaplin, Russell, and Zhou Enlai, have all stayed at this hotel. The Astor House Hotel is a place where Chinese culture and western civilization converged. The first electric lamp, the first telephone, the first semi-sound film, and the first Western-style social dance all made their debut in China at the Astor House Hotel.Thanks for your affirmation and encouragement,we will continue to work hard and hope to see you again!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was just what I expected, an 1846 hotel built and decorated in a grand style. The outside is a beautiful example of the architecture of the period and is right at home in The Bund. Once inside you step into a truly beautiful foyer with the columns graced by photos of famous people who have stayed here, such as US Pres. Grant, Charlie Chaplin, Albert Einstein, and many other notables. The hallways have photos of old Shanghai and it is clear that the Astor House Hotel is very proud of its place in Shanghai history.
It is worth wandering around the various floors to see the different designs of the bars and function rooms.
As expected my room was very nice; good size with an adequate bathroom, plenty of hanging space, fridge and coffee making area. I even had a partial view of the Pearl Tower. Every morning housekeeping would deliver a note with the min and max temperature for the day. Like all over China you get tea bags but no coffee. I wish the hotels would just add this western touch. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Seattle
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My son and I spent 2 nights at the Astor House Hotel. I checked out several other places and the price for the proximity to the The Bund is very reasonable. The hotel is just over a little bridge from one end of The Bund (not too far from The Peninsula Hotel). We had a very spacious ground/basement-level floor with two beds. I asked for a quiet room and it was quiet but dark, just one little basement window - but when we were in the room we wanted to rest/sleep so that was fine. I agree the hotel is historically interesting and does look a worn out but I thought it was fine for the price. We had no problem getting two room keys and we found the front desk staff to be friendly and very helpful with restaurant suggestions, breaking large bills, and arranging a taxi to the airport. Cleaning staff was also very friendly and good.

We did not eat in the hotel as there were a number of small restaurants a few minutes walk from the hotel for easily half the price. Every place either had a menu with photos and/or a menu with some English translations, even the Mom & Pop hole-in-the-wall place around the corner. I tried a Starbucks and another coffee place next-door to the Starbucks on The Bund - pricey and just not very good. Stick to tea in the room or bring your own instant coffee. In the morning we had The Bund almost to ourselves. By evening the place was packed. It rained the whole 2 days, bring a small collapsible umbrella.

Taking the Maglev train from the airport will take you about 3/4 of the way to the hotel. It is 40 CNY if you show a boarding pass for the day you are traveling on the train, otherwise it is 50 CNY per person one way. Total for 2 persons for the Maglev and taxi from the Longyang Road station (I think that is the name, whatever the end-of-the-line is for the Maglev train) to the hotel is about the same as catching a cab all the way from the airport but the train is a much faster and more pleasant ride. Word of caution - the cab drivers at the Longyang Road station will try to rip you off. I knew the fare directly from the airport should be around 150 CNY and the first cab driver at the Longyang Road asked for 380CNY to go the remaining 10-15 minutes. I finally negotiated another driver down to 100CNY but I knew I was still paying too much. Also noticed the driver turned the meter off. I thought the scariest taxi ride I've had was in Beijing but the return ride from the hotel to the airport was the scariest and most reckless because of the high speed. Had I known how terrifying the ride to the airport would be I would have taken the cab only to the train station and taken the Maglev back to the airport. I talked to several other travelers at the airport and they all said that is just the way the taxi drivers are in Shanghai.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NWS_Seattle
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent three nights in the Astor House Hotel Shanghai. Yes this hotel is old and a little run down,but it makes up for that with charm and character , The room we had was large and well appointed,we were offered an upgrade at a cost but didn't think it was required as the room we has was quite good.The floors are timber the beds are large and comfortable we didn't have breakfast there as it was fairly expensive, there are resturants and bars in the adjacent street and the food was of a good quality in these local resturants . You only need to walk across the nearby bridge and you are at the Bund, it is probably 500mts to Nanjing St East, which is the main shopping street, this street is quite long so either get a taxi to the West end of this street (14 yuan ) or the Metro from the East to West station to see it all.The airport is easily accessed from the Metro a price of 5 yuan pp as against around 200 yuan by taxi and the Metro is quicker from the airport take line 2 or 10 to Nanjing St East the a taxi to the hotel less than one klm cost 14 yuan ( the smallest fee ).

Room Tip: Our room was a deluxe there are smaller rooms , the deluxe is a good sized room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JKaussi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay, as the Hotel has a great location, spacious rooms and an interesting history and decor, but it could do with a bit of TLC.

Staff were good, the little cafe in the foyer very good.

Biggest issue was the road noise.

I would stay here again, but a few improvements and it would be a definate recommendation. As is it nearly got an average.

Room Tip: Try and have it high and away from the road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PeterBarras
astorhousehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Astor House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your feedback to us and I am pleased that overall you liked our hotel.The Astor House Hotel has more than 160 years history. It is the very first western hotel property all over China. The transportation is very convenience. We really appreciate your positive comments on the hotel.You mentioned about the noise problem, we have used in the recent renovation of the soundproof glass for improvement, we will continue to use the soundproof glass in the future, we hope to give our guests a pleasant stay. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.