I was definitely drawn in by the 'old-China' exterior and it was a lovely, comfortable hotel with nice rooms. However, a few negatives of note were:
1) Internet connection is bad, sometimes the wifi would just refuse to work which can be infuriating.
2) don't share a room with someone who you are not in a relationship with because the bathroom situation will be awkward. There is a glass window between the bedroom and the bathroom and there is a haphazard wooden blind which is an attempt at privacy which doesn't work. If you're in the bedroom you can full see anyone in the shower or on the toilet and vice versa so just be careful if that if you're with a 'platonic friend'.
3) lastly, I felt the rooms were kept really clean however when I was leaving and packing up my suitcase, I did the usual once-round, checked under the bed and found a dirty, old baby's bottle! So glad I only saw it as I was checking out otherwise it wouldn't have slept for fear of being in the middle of a horror movie!
4) no hotel bar!
His in said that, the location is absolutely ideal. Staff were very helpful and their English was okay! Would definitely recommend for a few days stay in Shanghai.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Super Great location in the historic 1931 YMCA building for transport, shopping, entertainment, bars and cafes! Historic entrance then walk or take the lift to 2F to reception. This hotel joined the new mid scale Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel chain as a "Classiq". Try out the new extra large rooms recently renovated and well worth a little extra to overlook the park.Good local cuisine featured in the 3 meal a day leased out cafe on 2F. Along with the brand standard east-meets-west-breakfast-buffet. Please check out the MetroPolo brand website or Booking for a total of 10 hotels in Shanghai open in 2016 and 30+ in other cities. Attentive service; distinctive decor; delight your senses; inspire your imagination. Unique urban style lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and Hotels.com so you can book your Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ymca Hotel