I have been to Shanghai numerous times, and tried out my fair share of hotels. I must say that this has become my go-to hotel for Shanghai. It is truly hard to beat for great value.
Booked a Deluxe Twin Room for 9 nights as I was travelling with my mother. Had a perfect nights sleep for all 9 nights. The beds are much softer that commonly found in Chinese hotels, and the pillows were divine. You also get FOC several choices of pillows including magnetic and other such fancy choices.
Everyone at the front desk speaks English quite well, and they provide some of the fastest service I have had the pleasure to experience. When you call the reception or house keeping the phone is always promptly answered. Ask housekeeping for extra bath foam or toilet rolls, and it is delivered within 5 minutes. Asked one of the cleaners as I passed her in the hall for a universal plug, and received it within 5 minutes from getting back to our room. Mentioned to reception that we were having trouble buying cellotape to tape a box up, and barely got into our room before housekeeping appeared with a roll of extra wide tape. Wake-up calls are prompt and followed up 15 minutes later just in case you fell asleep again. The weather report can be given to you with your wake-up call if you request when setting the time. Such service must be praised.
There was a laundry room on our floor near the lift with washer and dryer. A RMB 20 token can be purchased for each machine from the front desk.
Our room itself was quite spacious, with a generous sized writing desk, a divan, a coat rack, and a safe large enough for my 15.5" laptop. The bathroom was huge, with bathtub, extra large basin, and a shower big enough for 3 people !
There were only four negatives I can think of :
1. There is no ventilation in the bathroom, which has lead to the mosaic tile grout in the shower turning black in some areas. However, leaving the bathroom door open causes it to dry out relatively fast. Never did I feel the bathroom or shower was not clean enough.
2. The blinds on the glass wall between room and bathroom did not close all the way. This left very little privacy for two people sharing a room. No matter how close two people are, no-one want's the impression someone can see you on the toilet bowl ! Management needs to check the blinds regularly, and repair/replace those that don't close all the way. Better still, replace them altogether with one-piece roll down blinds. The bathroom door is frosted but with a clear glass pattern, again privacy is an issue...
3. The air-conditioning is central and non adjustable in-room ( very common in China ). Ours was set at 25 degrees celcius, a tad too warm for me. However, the room did have a window that opened, good for ventilation and to cool the room down when we first got back at the end of each day.
4. The lobby is on the first floor, and the hotel entrance is on the ground floor, down two steps, then up two steps with the lift round the corner and NOT A PERSON IN SIGHT ! I arrived with 2 large suitcases, a small suitcase and a handbag, and certainly not enough hands to get it all off the curb and up to the lobby without considerable difficulty. Was definitely not a good start.
Location is this hotels best asset. Xizang Road is right out front, lots of cabs at all hours. Yunnan Food Street is behind, lots of places to eat even late at night. Turn left out the front of the hotel and you come across a Starbucks, Dashijia metro, Watsons pharmacy, McDonalds, 7-11 and a Family Mart all within 5 minutes walk. Turn right at the hotel exit instead, and there is a massage place, freshly squeezed orange juice stand, fruit stall, laundrette, and a phone sim selling hole in the wall, all within 5 minutes walk. Not to mention the Mongolian lamb hotpot open until 4am, the xiaolongbao and salted duck noodle soup, the seafood noodles, local Shanghainese restaurants, all within 10 minutes from the hotel doorstep. Location, location, location.....
As I said, will be staying here next time as well for sure !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Super Great location in the historic 1931 YMCA building for transport, shopping, entertainment, bars and cafes! Historic entrance then walk or take the lift to 2F to reception. This hotel joined the new mid scale Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel chain as a "Classiq". Try out the new extra large rooms recently renovated and well worth a little extra to overlook the park.Good local cuisine featured in the 3 meal a day leased out cafe on 2F. Along with the brand standard east-meets-west-breakfast-buffet. Please check out the MetroPolo brand website or Booking for a total of 10 hotels in Shanghai open in 2016 and 30+ in other cities. Attentive service; distinctive decor; delight your senses; inspire your imagination. Unique urban style lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ymca Hotel