“Will be staying here next time as well for sure !”

Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square
Ranked #147 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been to Shanghai numerous times, and tried out my fair share of hotels. I must say that this has become my go-to hotel for Shanghai. It is truly hard to beat for great value.
Booked a Deluxe Twin Room for 9 nights as I was travelling with my mother. Had a perfect nights sleep for all 9 nights. The beds are much softer that commonly found in Chinese hotels, and the pillows were divine. You also get FOC several choices of pillows including magnetic and other such fancy choices.
Everyone at the front desk speaks English quite well, and they provide some of the fastest service I have had the pleasure to experience. When you call the reception or house keeping the phone is always promptly answered. Ask housekeeping for extra bath foam or toilet rolls, and it is delivered within 5 minutes. Asked one of the cleaners as I passed her in the hall for a universal plug, and received it within 5 minutes from getting back to our room. Mentioned to reception that we were having trouble buying cellotape to tape a box up, and barely got into our room before housekeeping appeared with a roll of extra wide tape. Wake-up calls are prompt and followed up 15 minutes later just in case you fell asleep again. The weather report can be given to you with your wake-up call if you request when setting the time. Such service must be praised.
There was a laundry room on our floor near the lift with washer and dryer. A RMB 20 token can be purchased for each machine from the front desk.
Our room itself was quite spacious, with a generous sized writing desk, a divan, a coat rack, and a safe large enough for my 15.5" laptop. The bathroom was huge, with bathtub, extra large basin, and a shower big enough for 3 people !
There were only four negatives I can think of :
1. There is no ventilation in the bathroom, which has lead to the mosaic tile grout in the shower turning black in some areas. However, leaving the bathroom door open causes it to dry out relatively fast. Never did I feel the bathroom or shower was not clean enough.
2. The blinds on the glass wall between room and bathroom did not close all the way. This left very little privacy for two people sharing a room. No matter how close two people are, no-one want's the impression someone can see you on the toilet bowl ! Management needs to check the blinds regularly, and repair/replace those that don't close all the way. Better still, replace them altogether with one-piece roll down blinds. The bathroom door is frosted but with a clear glass pattern, again privacy is an issue...
3. The air-conditioning is central and non adjustable in-room ( very common in China ). Ours was set at 25 degrees celcius, a tad too warm for me. However, the room did have a window that opened, good for ventilation and to cool the room down when we first got back at the end of each day.
4. The lobby is on the first floor, and the hotel entrance is on the ground floor, down two steps, then up two steps with the lift round the corner and NOT A PERSON IN SIGHT ! I arrived with 2 large suitcases, a small suitcase and a handbag, and certainly not enough hands to get it all off the curb and up to the lobby without considerable difficulty. Was definitely not a good start.
Location is this hotels best asset. Xizang Road is right out front, lots of cabs at all hours. Yunnan Food Street is behind, lots of places to eat even late at night. Turn left out the front of the hotel and you come across a Starbucks, Dashijia metro, Watsons pharmacy, McDonalds, 7-11 and a Family Mart all within 5 minutes walk. Turn right at the hotel exit instead, and there is a massage place, freshly squeezed orange juice stand, fruit stall, laundrette, and a phone sim selling hole in the wall, all within 5 minutes walk. Not to mention the Mongolian lamb hotpot open until 4am, the xiaolongbao and salted duck noodle soup, the seafood noodles, local Shanghainese restaurants, all within 10 minutes from the hotel doorstep. Location, location, location.....
As I said, will be staying here next time as well for sure !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sarahhobart

Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you are looking for a special hotel in Shangai, not too big but with efficient service and staff, in a beautiful position close to People Square, Marvel Hotel is the right place for you. In the lobby, located at the the first floor, you can find the right atmosphere for a holiday. Wide rooms, wi-fi, special breakfast (wide choice of chinese and international food). I recommend this hotel for business, too. Really cost-effective

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We just stayed here for 6 days and were pleasently surprised. We got a nice spacy room with a view of several nice buildings including Jin Mao and Shanghai Financial Center. To the other side we could se Peoples Park.
The metro is just around the corner and a bus stop more or less right outside the door. You can walk to several of the most popular sights, which I also highly recommend.
There are a Starbucks, 7-Eleven, Subway, MacD and other shops of conveniance also around the corner.
The area as such is actually really fun to walk around in when you take all the roads behind the hotel.
The employees speaks ok english and they were willing to help.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LPHDK
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Have returned from a 5 day trip to Shanghai staying at this hotel. It is difficult to think that this hotel can be neaten for value for money. Rooms are clean and well appointed, the reception staff are helpful (although their English isn't great, neither is my Chinese), the location is excellent for sightseeing and shopping, the hotel design is interesting and sympathetically renovated. The only problem we had was the aircon in the rooms were set to a hotel setting (as it was winter) and myself and my friend found the room to be too hot. The reception staff suggested opening the windows but that didn't work, we did find however on the next day the standard room temp to be a lot cooler so obviously some one did something about it. A very pleasant stay and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The corner superior rooms are a little more spacious and very little to upgrade too
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SiandSteve5
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel was chosen by my China-based colleagues for a business event and I was a little sceptical as I already had a favourite hotel in Shanghai. However, Marvel is now my new favourite! It is the former YMCA Shanghai and it has been very sympathetically renovated, and still contains much reference to its interesting past - something you don't always find.
The rooms are very comfortable and the restaurant does a good lunch and has a small bar area.
The location is great - opposite People's Park and only about 15 mins from Nanjing Road and perhaps just more than 15 mins to the Bund.
I look forward to staying here again during my next visit in July

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the front owing to the traffic noise. I had Room 708 which was a corne...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Just one night in this business Hotel in Shanghai very well located near People,s Square and very convenient to a short visit to this amazing city .
We got an upgrade to superior room and also qe borrowed an umbrella for free .

Bed and facilities in room were excelent and we will definitively will come back .

Room Tip: Interior room very quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

First off, let me say that the hotel's location is great. Literally around the corner from Exit 1, when you get off Metro line 8 at Dashijie. (Line 8 is just one transfer from either airport). The room was clean with all the toiletries (combs, toothbrushes, vanity kits, shampoos, conditioners, etc.) that you would expect at this class of Chinese hotel. The staff at the front desk spoke enough English that I never felt we had a communications issue. The TV seemed to have just 2 English language channels but we didn't care about that. The main issue we had was with the air conditioning. We turned on the unit and it would run constantly without actually cooling the room. Because our stay was in March, we got by fine by leaving the window open but I could see this being an issue when it gets hotter. We told the front desk and they promised to look at it... I don't think anyone did and I dropped it. I've also read other reviews about faulty air conditioning at this and similar properties so I think it's just par for the course. Factoring in everything, we felt this hotel was a great option in its price range but next time, I would probably spend more to go up a tier.

Room Tip: Beware faulty air conditioning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple