“Value for Money”

Ranked #209 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Value for Money”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It's not a luxury hotel. Bear that in Mind. However, after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and couple of other sites - I had some serious doubts about keeping my booking here.

I still went, and I guess I was pleasantly surprised because I went in expecting the worst? It's a nice clean check in area - VERY pleasant and helpful staff throughout the hotel. Value for money compared to the other hotels near by - shangrila, ritz carlton, sheraton - this is a quarter of the price for a good clean room.

Room was clean though the wifi was a bit weak in my room for my phone. Laptop was ok. The one part I didn't like much was the bed. It's low and feels cheap, but It was a comfy night's sleep as I was there for 2 nights.

Excellent area because it's walking distance to, as I mentionned earlier, the area with all the major Chain hotels with great restaurants. I had meetings at the Ritz and it's like a 3 min cab or a 10-15 min walk. So I'd probably stay there again just because it's not worth pay 2000+ RMB a night at the other hotels when you get a pretty good, clean and comfortable hotel with a good bathroom/sower at probably 500RMB ish a night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vadodara, India
Reviewed 1 May 2014

With rising costs of hotels in Shanghai, the City Hotel Shanghai brings value for money. Well-located at close to Nanjing Road, it is pleasant to walk around there in the evenings. The rooms are good and food is delicious, albeit rather expensive. The staff speak English and cleanliness is good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked this hotel because check online and it looked alright. I was just planning to stay 3 nights. The location is great but my room is old and the carpet is very dirty and in the corner it has huge pee stains. It s quite gross. The room is connected by a locked door to the room next door and so i hear everything my neighbour does.
It seems a bit dodgy to me....
And also that it is a business hotel but there is no free wifi seems odd. Where in this world do you have to pay for internet nowadays?
I have requested internet when i checked in and they couldnt give me the password right away but said that they will call my room in the next 5 minutes. An hour later there was still no call...

anyways, i ll survive the 3 days and cant wait to go back home!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Schweinebacke888

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Odessa, Ukraine

- Breakfast is ok
- It's clean
Bad points:
- WiFi is NOT free
- The room looks a bit shabby and old

Ok, for a short trip, but definitely not the best place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
faridabad
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Excellent location. Just next to yan'an road. A very good business hotel. They got my tickets done, courier, messages, luggage storage, vault service. And a nice coffee shop too. Will recommend it to anybody travelling on business and staying in this area

• Stayed February 2013
Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 November 2013

City hotel was an adequate space that served my needs for the one night that I stayed there. Centrally located, the hotel is within walking distance to the subway, making getting around the city easy and convenient. My friends and I arrived early after an overnight train from Beijing so were unable to check in. The hotel concierge kindly let us leave our luggage in the hotel so that we could explore the city.

When we did eventually check in the service was quite slow and some rooms were still not ready by mid afternoon. Saying that though the rooms were comfortable enough and were well maintained. The bathroom shower was the only element of the room that I could fault as water did not drain away for at least 10 minutes. Not a problem if one person is just taking a shower but not nice for the second person.

We booked standard rooms which meant that the use of the swimming pool was not included. Although this wasn't too much of a problem I do think the RMB 100 for one hour was high, especially if you are paying guests. The only other issue I hotel had with the hotel was the fact that you had to pay for wifi. surely in this day and age in wouldn't be too hard to provide free wifi for hotel guests.

Check out like check in was a lengthy process which caused some frustration amongst our group. All in all the hotel was fine for a one night stay and served our needs as a place to rest our heads, but I would look for another hotel should I come back to Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura W
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is my first time at this hotel and it is a real disappointment! The minute you walked thru to the lobby, there is a smell like sewer backup! The check in process was slow - all manual and they went thru our passports like a fine tooth comb. The rooms were small and there was a smell in the bathroom - again like sewer backup. The bathtub drain was plugged; they only gave 1 shampoo and 1 bath foam for 2 people; the towels were threadbare. There is no air conditioning - it was set at 25C+ and the thermostat does not work. The lighting was poor; the mattress uncomfortable and pillows were flat! What a joke you have to pay for wifi or use the gym. The so-called breakfast buffet was mediocre and the bread and buns were frozen solid. Would not stay here again if not for its location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family