“city hotel shanghai”

Ranked #184 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Perth, Australia
“city hotel shanghai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Nice hotel but not as close to the river and the Bund as I had expected. Room was a good size and comfortable.Bathroom was a little tired but clean and the shower was good. Staff were helpful. We were only here for a day on our way home so didn't use the hotel amenities. No free WIFI but you could pay for it if you want.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kunming, Yunnan, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a "4-star" room for an admittedly low rate. When we arrived at the front desk, we were greeted by a formal clerk in fluent English who told us the use of wifi would cost us an extra 60RMB per day. We decided to at least stay for 1 night (we had reserved for 4 nights). But when we arrived in our room we decided NOT to stay in this hotel at all. We felt like we were completely ripped off after paying more than 500RMB a night for a really basic cramped room with a cheap, low and tiny bed and an incredibly basic bathroom. It was ridiculous. More like a basic 2-3 star hotel room. When we got back to the lobby, the staff was friendly and helpful with cancelling our booking. They gave directions to the nearest coffee shop, so we could find another hotel online. After half an hour, we found a room in Gallery Suites on Hengshan Lu, which was the same price, but offered spacious, clean and beautiful rooms in a historic building. So much more value than in this city hotel, which just felt like a shabby rip-off. Only positive point was the very friendly manager who assisted in the cancellation of our booking.

Stayed July 2014
Chengdu, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This is a cheap and cheerful hotel not too far from the tourist mecca of Xin Tian Di in Shanghai. Its unpretentious and extremely good value. Rooms clean, comfortable but a bit on the small side. Its not a 5-star but it doesn't pretend to be and instead of paying a fortune at a higher star hotel this is an excellent option if you are looking for a place to lay your head after a nights entertainment or if you are on a quick business trip. Downside is getting a taxi - especially if it is raining heavily (as it was when we were there). Despite the claim on another booking sites map that it was .3 kms away from Xin Tian Di, it is in fact about 4kms from the dining centre and isn't walkable from the hotel unless you want a long walk. Couple of small grizzles but nothing major - no shower mat for the bath/shower making it a bit slippery taking a shower and the staff didn't have or even know what an extension cord was but these are are small issues when you are only paying around 400RMB for a night. Basically if you are looking for a cost effective option for Shanghai then this place well and truly fits the bill.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PenDreighton
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

It's not a luxury hotel. Bear that in Mind. However, after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and couple of other sites - I had some serious doubts about keeping my booking here.

I still went, and I guess I was pleasantly surprised because I went in expecting the worst? It's a nice clean check in area - VERY pleasant and helpful staff throughout the hotel. Value for money compared to the other hotels near by - shangrila, ritz carlton, sheraton - this is a quarter of the price for a good clean room.

Room was clean though the wifi was a bit weak in my room for my phone. Laptop was ok. The one part I didn't like much was the bed. It's low and feels cheap, but It was a comfy night's sleep as I was there for 2 nights.

Excellent area because it's walking distance to, as I mentionned earlier, the area with all the major Chain hotels with great restaurants. I had meetings at the Ritz and it's like a 3 min cab or a 10-15 min walk. So I'd probably stay there again just because it's not worth pay 2000+ RMB a night at the other hotels when you get a pretty good, clean and comfortable hotel with a good bathroom/sower at probably 500RMB ish a night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Vadodara, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

With rising costs of hotels in Shanghai, the City Hotel Shanghai brings value for money. Well-located at close to Nanjing Road, it is pleasant to walk around there in the evenings. The rooms are good and food is delicious, albeit rather expensive. The staff speak English and cleanliness is good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked this hotel because check online and it looked alright. I was just planning to stay 3 nights. The location is great but my room is old and the carpet is very dirty and in the corner it has huge pee stains. It s quite gross. The room is connected by a locked door to the room next door and so i hear everything my neighbour does.
It seems a bit dodgy to me....
And also that it is a business hotel but there is no free wifi seems odd. Where in this world do you have to pay for internet nowadays?
I have requested internet when i checked in and they couldnt give me the password right away but said that they will call my room in the next 5 minutes. An hour later there was still no call...

anyways, i ll survive the 3 days and cant wait to go back home!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

- Breakfast is ok
- It's clean
Bad points:
- WiFi is NOT free
- The room looks a bit shabby and old

Ok, for a short trip, but definitely not the best place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business