“Site of SCAMS!”

and 1 more site!
Orange Hotel Seclect Shanghai Waitan Wusong Road
Ranked #2,472 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I fell for the most common scam in Shanghai and got dragged into a bar on level 5 of this hotel and was extored for over $1300 after imported whisky I never ordered came flowing and I was physically held in a room until I ran the bill through on my credit card. After reporting to the police the following day the hotel management gave me most of the money back in cash, but were completely complicit in this operation. Be wary!!!!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank OzB0b

Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel must have been better at one time to get a four star rating.
The main doors are not in use , entrance via small doorway into equally small dingy reception area.
Check in was ok & staff spoke good English. Trying to find lifts that worked was a game. The corridor from the lift to the room on. 15th floor was dingy & plenty of litter on floor.
The room looked tired , pictures missing from walls , mini bar not properly stocked so a trip to rdception to make sure I wouldn't be charged for things missing.
Then discovered the laminated notice to say that 4 th floor gym & pool were under renovation that had begun in March.
When I went to check this I found three equally unhappy Chinese guests in a heated debate with the staff - no need to.understand the words the tone & gestures said it all.
Decided at this point to change hotels which I did. I had stayed in several hotels this trip one of which was four star & the standard was far above this hotel just what you would expect.
The location seemed to be the wrong side of the river , the views not particularly great although I have to admit most of my time here was spent trying to get another hotel.
I was surprised on checking out neither of the staff on reception asked what the problem was or if it could be remedied.
The best part of this hotel was the very kind gentleman who had a business on the building who helped me find a taxi & gave the driver the directions to the hotel I was going to -most taxi drivers weren't interested in a short trip they only wanted a trip to the airport.
This hotel may improve after the renovations are complete but I wouldn't ever book it again.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank babooshkaphillips
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The deco of the room was modern. Bed was very comfortable and the size of the room was decent. The bar at the top floor has a very good view too. I've also tried the Chinese restaurant and it is not recommended. I requested for an in-room massage but they said "no no no, it's only for men"! I was so embarrass but I guess I am in China! On the day that we've checked out, my mum and I decided to go for last minute shopping but we've checked out already, so we left our luggage at the concierge. After returning, we were boiling hot and we asked if could pay them some money so we can take a shower in the room. The receptionist was very helpful and offered us to take shower at their health centre at no cost.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Terrible experience at this once excellent hotel!! Have stayed at his hotel 6 times before over last 5 years an always given it a good rating, but just booked 5 night stay and left after 2 nights.I think hotel is nearly bankrupt or something. FIrst reception area is now just a small desk hidden on now empty botton floor (where is the big reception, restaurant, travel agent, gift shop etc...) Was given room with no windows being told all fully booked, was told could change following day. Noticed first night that A/C didnt work at all and room was a sauna. Complained to maintenance men who admitted to chinese firned that they turn it off to save money and they gave me a small portable unit. Next day asked to change and again told hotel was full, but strangely i could see nobody else in lobby (surely fully booked hotel is buzzing with people at 10 in the morning?). Once excellent buffet breakfast on 3rd floor is noe coffee and choice of 4 items on 1st floor, I went to Starbucks for btreakfast. Next day was again lied to about hotel being full and not possible to change room, again NOBODY around at all either in breakfast room or lobby. 4th fllor pool and gym closed for renovation but no work being done or has even been started. SO I LEFT TOO. Shame because excllent location and was always excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a better hotel, they have turned the A/C off.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We were disappointed that the pool was closed, and no work was being done on it. There were few other guests. I can eat almost anything, but the breakfast was well below standard and I left most of it.

Having said that, when we returned for one night three weeks later, they'd moved the breakfast room to the ground floor, and the food was much better.

The view was super, the Star Club on the top floor was open and provided great views of the city. The location is central, and our room was fine.

We were told there was no WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RoddyMacLeod
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We had a weeks visit to Shanghai. The city is exiting place with must to see and do.
This hotel was a disaster. The hotel may have been quit nice many many years ago. No it looks like being next to bankruptcy.
All the advertising in the web is in one word misleading. Nothing matched the impression given on the web pages.
The hotels original lobby is not in the original usage any more. The current lobby is at the end of tho hotel a very small space hardly room for two receptionists to work concurrently.
All the interior is worn-out and dirty. Room are small and dark. The breakfast was below acceptable.

We felt completely betrayed. The rating of this hotel is well under 2 stars.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jukka T
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Old hotel, needs a lot of improvement. I was disappointed with this hotel because I expected something much better when I saw the pictures. The swimming pool was closed and additionally the last floor was under renovation so we weren't able to visit the view from the top. Fortunately the view from the room was pretty good. The room indeed was really big but the carpet was stinking ;p

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends