“Value for Money”

Ranked #100 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Value for Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Check in: Quick and efficient check in
Room: The rooms are good. Bath is shower and tub, but the tub is little uncomfortable, soft bed.
Service: Hard to day because I stayed only one night. But I found good.
Food: Good variety of food in Breakfast. No complaints
Verdict: Value for the money. Cheaper than other hotels in the same area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chandramohan K
Fiona L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our Guestroom made your stay experience more memorable. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Modena
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been here for 6 night during a Plastic Expo, I found this hotel not cheap for the standard , but the whole Shangai it is expensive , they have a good Gym and also swimming pool ( i haven't seen aniway ) .
The best things is the Flannagan pub downstairs where you can get a drink with friends and also ( if you want) maybe some enjoy with local girls ( very nice and they don't give you any annoing, they only smile and it's up to you ) , the wrong thing is the choiche of food ( at restaurant ) and of drink ( at the Pub ) , very poor .
Breackfast indeed is the best thing , you can get huge quantity and variety of food .
The Hotel staff speak a good english and you will enjoy your staying here , room quite big and confortable .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Fiona L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay with us at Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong. We are pleased to know that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations. Thank you again for your feedback and support and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at the Holiday Inn, Pudong (don't get this confused with the other two Holiday Inn's in Shanghai) and it was a mixed bag.

Hotel : Great, luxurious for a Holiday Inn.
Staff : Great, fast, courteous.
Breakfast : Awesome, buffet was fantastic, plenty of variety, clean, fast

Rooms, were spacious, quiet, well appointed...

So why the overall rating?

To put this in context, we stayed at the hotel twice within a 7 day period, in different rooms (Business trip). For some reason, the hotel does not run the A/C during certain times of the year. At first I thought the A/C was broken in our room, because there is clearly an A/C unit, the temp controller has A/C (and Heat), and the fan worked, but after 1 hour of 'air' and a room temp of 26C I called maintenance to find out what was going on. After some moments, maintenance connected me back to reception who told me that no rooms come with cool breeze, but they would be happy to move me to a room where we could open the window (in Shanghai... really?).

I thought it may have been a mixup in translation - perhaps the staff just misunderstood my issue. I asked another guest in an elevator conversation and she confirmed that there was no A/C in her room, which also was extremely hot. During my second visit (different room), same issue. Apparently the hotel turns 'off' the compressors so the A/C units don't cool, during certain times of the year. The temp. in the rooms hovered between 25-27C overnight (it was not overly 'warm' outside, but clearly the rooms heat up through glazing and 'building heat').

Made for a very uncomfortable night sleep.

The rooms also had some funky shower window (it's like a double glazed window looking into the bedroom, that has a louvered blind between the panels of glass for privacy). In both rooms this did not work properly, making it very awkward if there was anybody else in the room (important if you share accommodation for work purposes).

The heat was a big let down and not what I would expect from a modern hotel, particularly charging what they did. If warm rooms are uncomfortable, this is not your hotel until the make a decision to leave the A/C operable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris_7777_au
Qingdao
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I arrived hotel by hotel Lim. and the driver was very helpful. A very good first impression for the hotel. Well prepared check in and room, everything is smoothly! Breakfast was normal, staff are nice and good service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel two times this month and have enjoyed both stays, the hotel is clean, modern and conveniently located in Shanghai Pudong. The staff are friendly and make you feel very welcome, the rooms are spacious and well maintained ensuring a good nights sleep, the bathroom facilities are also very good. The room service menu is fine and the service is prompt. The internet speed is good although there is No WiFi available in the rooms

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for great views of the city skyline at night
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

After a long family vacation in China, we stayed two nights at the HI Pudong hotel before flying back home. This is my first visit to this hotel and overall was impressed with the room and amenities. The bathroom had a nice size tub which was great for the kids. The nightly happy hour for Rewards Club members has a nice selection of snacks and drinks. There are two subway stops within walking distance from the hotel (Less than five minutes)

We found the concierge very knowegdeable and friendly to talk to. He provided us numerous options to take our children to for some daily activities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I usually stay across the road, but possibly in part due to my good review of that hotel, it was fully booked this time, so I decided to try the Holiday Inn. My overall summary is that it is good as a business hotel; the rooms are a little small and the bathrooms definitely a little too cosy if you were travelling with spouse/family, but just for me on a business trip; absolutely adequate. I got a good night's sleep, nicely appointed room, comfortable bed. The shower was a little grotty, no big issues just some peeling caulking, that kind of thing. I have to say that the breakfast buffet is excellent and the coffee was first class; I was extremely impressed with the breakfast and this is important to me on a business trip. I do swim upon arrival and then as my work out daily, and the pool was disappointing; grotty, overheated (not sure if that is wise from a health perspective at 25degC), and they make you wear a swimming cap. I had to ask myself; what issues have they had here to drive the mandatory requirement for everyone to wear a swimming cap?? there was no element of luxury with this pool - you get in, do your laps, leave as quickly as possible. There was a jacuzzi in the changing room area, but very grotty and you would not use it. The changing rooms themselves had not seen a good clean in a very long time. This place reminded me of the old time "swimming baths"....let's just say it's very different in the place across the road. I did not try the gym as I did not take the necessary work out gear for that. Overall, I would stay here again, I would take work out clothes and avoid the pool, I would make sure I got the breakfast every morning - it's the best part of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business