“First night in China”

Ranked #108 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“First night in China”
Reviewed 17 October 2007

Had two nights here at the end of September. This was a very welcoming hotel with comfy seats in the lobby. Had a fish in a little tank in our bedroom.Had a huge superb shower in our room although our friends had a bath. Thought the hotel had no bar but it turned out to be where the cakes were for sale. All drinks were hidden in the back room. Had a snack in this bar during the afternoon. Chinese dumplings, very nice. Felt very safe walking around outside the hotel although crossing the road was a bit of a nightmare. Much safer to use the footbridges to cross. Found a nice shopping mall 5mins from the hotel.Thoroughly enjoyed the buffet in the evening. Called western but plenty of dishes to choose from including Chinese. I had baby lobster cooked to order. Buffet breakfast was good too.

1 Thank Linda H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 8 October 2007

After a long flight it was a welcome sight to arrive at the Shanghai Vista. The hotel is fairly new so the interior feels nice and fresh. All of the staff were friendly and helpful with good English for those with poor Mandarin!

My room was a good size with an incredibly comfortable bed, nice and clean, in room safe and just about all the toiletries you could need were provided in the bathroom!

The breakfast had a great selection of Chinese, European and American foods, healthy or otherwise! The evening buffet was equally as good. If you are veggie like me then you will easily be able to get a decent meal.

There is a small shop outside that sells snacks and water etc. A small bottle of water was about 1.50 yuan which is literally next to nothing. The hotel does provide two complimentary bottles each day but should you need more then there is no need to go too far or pay too much.

There is a coffee shop in the lobby which sells delicious cookies. I suggest you try the orange which goes down great with a cup of coffee.

It's not a centrally located hotel although there are plenty of shops and food places a short walk away. It is however fairly close to the Jade Buddha Temple which is definitely worth a visit.

Definitely an excellent hotel and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it.

• Liked — It was really safe and clean
  • Disliked — Not very central
  • Stayed September 2007
3 Thank baozao
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Don't let the distance away from the city center scare you...I thought it'd scare me, but I was wrong.

The hotel is located in a very busy neighborhood with a couple malls within walking distance (5-10 minutes). As such, there are plenty of eateries and shops in the vicinity. Also, there are restaurants right alongside the hotel and across the street...lots and lots of food options. The closest Starbucks, if you care to know, is a few blocks walk away.

We did walk to the city center a couple times to take in the daily Shanghai scene outside of the tourist traps, and it did take over an hour. But, note that it wasn't a straight line - we frequently stopped into shops and poked our heads into eateries as well as markets to get a good feel of everyday citizenry life. Also, taxis are bountiful and the hotel usually has 1 or 2 waiting in que to take you anywhere for relatively cheap fares.

The lobby of the hotel is modern and featured a pianist every night - she's good. The bar/restaurant did not seem crowded in the morning or night on each of the 5 days we were there. One thing worth noting is that the hotel is "over" staffed in the lobby...there were probably 15 staffers when 10 would suffice...almost seemed like they were hawking over you. The check-in clerks spoke enough English to communicate the essentials. Also, this is a negative, the staff did NOT know the area well...asked for the nearest coffee shop/cafe, and they were clueless. I would've guessed that this had to be one of the most common questions from their guests...as mentioned earlier, there is a Starbucks nearby. In redemption, however, we requested extra bottles of water and a fruit knife on separate occasions in the evening and they were promptly and courteously delivered...good service.

The room we stayed in was modern, clean, and comfortable. We had a view of a school/small street - might've been the backside/quieter side. Regardless, we had double queen beds that were on the "firmer" side, but that's the Chinese way. The bathroom featured a rain shower, which was good, and also there were speakers linked to the tv when turned on.

We utilized the concierge for booking a tour of Hangzhou. The pricing was steep, but we thought it would be a more personalized tour...not the case. It was like any other commercialized outfit...way too expensive, probably double what I would've payed outside. Just a warning.

Overall, would go back to the hotel for its reasonable rate, location, and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2007
6 Thank roberee
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 24 June 2007

We were on a tour of China and Shanghai was our last stop. When we saw that we'll be staying at a Holiday Inn, we were just hoping for the best. To our surprise, the hotel turned out to be a very nice one! The room was very clean and the decor was up to date. The beds weren't the typical hard beds found throughout China. Most of the staff spoke very good English and were very helpful. The hotel had a good business center and lobby area. The stay included free breakfast buffett, which was also good. The hotel had an indoor pool and spa in the top floor as well as some game rooms to play mahjong and cards. The only negative thing I can think of is its location. It's not near a business district nor is it near any tourist attractions. A taxi would most likely be needed.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OCWeezer
Dallas
Reviewed 30 April 2007

We spent one night here when our adoption agency couldn't get fly everyone into Beijing on the same day. We arrived tired from the San Francisco flight and not sure of what to expect in so exotic a place. We were shocked at how luxurious the hotel was. We went to bed immediately, and the next morning at breakfast we met a number of families adopting through our agency. Adoption was the #1 topic, but right after that came compliments on the hotel itself. Our stay was so short I can't fairly comment on proximity to shopping, or other features such as pool, business center, etc. As far as the rooms, lobby, and breakfast area are concerned, however, we were very pleasantly surprised.

• Liked — Nice lobby
  • Disliked — Not sure-weren't there long enough to have any problems
  • Stayed April 2007
3 Thank AdoptiveDad
Reviewed 16 January 2007

I stayed in the Vista hotel for 2 nights. I had an (paid) upgrade to the Executive Club while checking in. It offered -among other- a bigger room, free Internet on the room and some free sodas from the minibar each day.

Check-in was efficient although staff sometimes has trouble understanding the more difficult questions in English.

The room was very spacious and I mean, _very_ spacious. There is a separate bedroom, separate living room. The bathroom is big enough with a bath and a separate large shower.

The layout of the room can be a bit confusing and especially the lightning plan was a puzzle sometimes.

Be aware that the dates printed on the bottles and cans are production date, not expiration date.

The hotel is situated outside of the City center, but taxi's are generally available; a taxi ride from the center to the hotel is approximately 60 RMB.

The fitness room as well as the pool are located on the top (21st) floor. Poolsize is average, the fitness room is big with lots of (sometimes) outdated equipment. There are ample TV sets to watch during workout, but you can also look outside en enjoy the view of Shanghai. Openingtimes are 05:30 to 23:00 , which is great.

All in all, price/quality is good, although if you'd like to be more in the centre of the action, consider another hotel or rely on taxi's.

• Liked — fitness facilities
  • Disliked — staf sometimes has trouble understanding English
  • Tips/Secrets — make a good evaluation of the offer if you get offered an paid upgrade
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank ralfvd
HK
Reviewed 4 December 2006

Overall the hotel is quite OK. The staff at the lobby are friendly and willing to help. The room is clean. The room cleaning maid is full of smile.

However, the whole pleasant experience could be stained by one of two service staff. Now the culprit this time are from the Executive Floor service desk: when I was told to check in at upper floor (I think it is 19/F), I went and I met poker faced staff there. (I wonder they might have sent the most terrible staff to Executive Floor so that they will only have limited damage there). I greeted her and said I would like to check in (it was Saturday afternoon around 4:00pm 19th Nov 06). She then tried to find my booking record (but without greeted me back, and not even invited me to sit while she sat comfortably in her Taipan chair....). I reserved a non-smoking floor and she told me I couldn't get it because all non-smoking rooms were occupied. But I booked the room one month ago. Anyway, I am a pretty easy going guy so I didn't bother.

The day after (Sunday) I went to the Executive Floor to have my breakfast in the morning. Again, I met another very "special" service staff. She didn't like to move a lot. The reason was "she had a bandage on her knee". So all her work was passed to a very polite and nice trainee. While this official service staff hide at the staff room kept talking, complained this and complained that, with the door opened. So every one eating breakfast there had to suffer from her big talk. This staff had no smile, no service attitude, not even want to see any guest in the Executive Floor. Alas, such a big contrast to the young and unseasoned trainee (another lady). I guess the hotel might have some management problem so even they could recruit the right people, they could not be trained to be nice.

A few days later, another drama. It was in a evening around 8:30pm. I went to Executive Floor with my friend to have a bit of chat of business. The service staff sat there was indeed dating with her boyfriend there. They were talking (argueing) so heatedly that they were smashing the table, shouting to each other. I would say even a 2 star hotel in China would not allow this happening. And now I am talking about an international chained reputatable hotel at its Executive Lounge.

I am indeed very very very disappointed.

• Liked — The Chinese restaurant at second floor
  • Disliked — Executive Lounge
  • Tips/Secrets — Try not to stay at Executive Floor