“Great stay”

Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista
Ranked #110 of 5,137 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I've stayed in many Holiday Inns and this one has been so far the best one I've ever been to. From the service of the staff to the nice touches in the room, I was very pleased with my stay. On my first day in Shanghai I was so tired and jet lagged from my flight and getting to the hotel (I'd probably advise taking a taxi instead of my chosen route of using the metro) I was pleased to find that the reception staff were more than happy let me check in at 12pm rather than having to sit around and wait until the official time, this was more than welcome as I was in desperate need of a nap and a shower!

Location was great, not too far from the metro (Line 7 - Changshou Road) which is excellent for getting to all the main spots, changing at Jing'an Temple to get to Line 2.

My favourite part of my stay was the Jing Lounge in the lobby, a great, relaxing environment with friendly staff and a pianist who played until 11pm. It was a great way to end the evening looking out the floor to ceiling windows with a drink.

The only real complaint I had about the whole thing was the quality of the breakfast, while there was plenty of choice available from the buffet I couldn't help but feel the hot food wasn't very well heated so you ended up with cold bacon and beans most of the time. After a while I just stuck with the fruit and continental style options which wasn't as satisfying, especially after paying 200 yuan each day for the option.

I only had dinner in the hotel restaurant once in the buffet bar, which again suffered from the same problems as the breakfast and was very expensive for what you got. After that I tended to eat at a local Chinese restaurant/takeaway just across the way from the hotel (directly opposite the entrance) where the staff, while non-english speaking, were very kind and offered a delicious meal at a much cheaper price.

Overall I was happy with my stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank djhworld

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Excellent hotel within a few minutes walk to the subway station. We got upgraded to a suite (we had a platinum priority card) which was amazing - a huge living room and separate bedroom. We stayed in a few hotels in other cities in China on this trip and this hotel had the most comfortable mattresses & pillows of them all - just what you need after a long day site seeing.
The staff we excellent and very professional. We found the Guest Relations Manager - Marta Otrebska very helpful and professional.
Just a word of warning to any 1st time traveller to Shanghai, we took a taxi (from the taxi rank) outside the Maglev station (longyang Rd) in Shanghai but we got ripped off. We ended up paying 400 RBM for our trip to the hotel when it should have probably cost only 80 RBM. Make sure you get the taxi drivers to switch on the meter when you get in the cab, if there charge you much more than say 100 RBM I would just give them 100 RBM or ask them to call the police to discuss. That should send them on their way!!
Book this hotel - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AlanBlair1974
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I enjoyed this hotel.
It started with a very professional reception. No waiting time and fast service.
Rooms were big enough and well maintained. The noise level was very acceptable
Excellent and tidy bathroom.
Room service had a prompt response and was of a correct quality.
Breakfast: choice of different food and food quality absolutely OK.
Behaviour off the staff was helpful and correct.
I get a room upgrade and have acces to the executive lounge. Guest relation manager (Marta) and provides you
I shall recommend this hotel to my colleagues and book it again next time I have to be in Shanghai.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Erwin00001
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I've stayed at this hotel now on my last three trips to Shanghai. I have been impressed with the attentiveness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and rooms and the general proximity to all major tourist locations. I would recommend to anyone looking for a good all around hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I completed my first stay (2 nights) in March 2012, and it was a pleasant experience. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel is conveniently located to all the action in Shanghai. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Walter H
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Since 2006 I stay in this hotel and I am very satisfied with the service they provide.
Hotel personel recognaise you as a valuable guest and do the utmost to make your stay pleasant.
Due to my level, I get a room upgrade and have acces to the executive lounge.
Guest relation manager (Marta) and other ladies in the lounge try to make you feel home and do everything to help you.

C. van de Velde, Neerpelt, Belgium

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cornelisv52
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel exceeded my expectations. Since this was my first trip to Shanghai I wanted to stay at a familiar brand name hotel from the states and selected Holiday Inn (plus I’m a Priority Club member and would be earning points). Everything about my 6-night stay was excellent. All first-line staff members speak English (some better than others) and are always at your service. The room was comfortably large with king size bed and plush pillows. The television was a little small and could not be adjusted to point is a specific direction which wasn’t a major problem. The have an ATM on-site, which converts USD into RMB at the best rate you can find, and does not charge a service fee. I wonder if all hotels have this? The bathroom was small but not absurdly so (I’ve stayed at hotels in Manhattan that were much smaller at quadruple the rate), and the lighting could be improved. You have to pay additional for WiFi (around 100 RMB per day), which I don’t like, but the amount is not usurious. As for location, I cannot comment; however, the hotel is not located near the convention center as stated at some websites. I wasn’t able to checkout the local scene due a sprained ankle, which the hotel staff brought ice for every night. I would highly recommend this hotel. For the price, service and amenities Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista is excellent.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor room.