“Global brand hotel can cover local issue.”

Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista
Ranked #116 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 3 May 2009

When I come to Shanghai, I frequently stayed this hotel. Because our Chinese staff lives near this hotel, and he has to pick me up early in the morning.
First stay was in around 2005, when may be just the hotel opening. At that time hotel service and facilities had not been organized well, for example shower didn't have hot water for example and Chinese hotel clerk had only Chinese service and American manager was scolding them loudly.
Even thourh it became somehow better and better recently except thin wall between rooms, I had several uncomfortable incident at this hotel.
When I checked in this hotel, hotel clerk suggested me to upgrade the room in exective floor. I agreed her suggestion and stayed the room one night. However, I couldn't sleep the night due to terrible noise of air conditioner. I complained the hotel clerk next morning and changed another room. She had no apology about this complainment. Only she showed her frustration to me.
When my travel schedule was shorten and I asked the hotel clerk to change my stay, she locked me out my room. I could understand she might miss the computer operation, but she had no aplogy when I complained the incident.
After this visit, I got their finishing blow when I got my credit card bill. They made double billing to me.
Fortunately, Holiday Inn have local service office in my country, and I could negotiate with the local service desk. They solved this issue promptly.

I got some lesson with this experience. I may still keep using global brand hotel even though it is higher cost. Because I can get local support if I got a trouble with the hotel in abroad. Another lesson is that I never stay Holiday Inn Vista Shanghai any more.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank glocal_business_man
mandy l, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2016

Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista. Feedback like yours is very valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectations. We will put focus on solving your concern accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again. Thank you! Sincerely!

Reviewed 5 February 2009

I stayed here a couple of times during my business trips to Shanghai. The hotel has everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn. The hotel room was decent but furniture was a bit old. The chinese restaurant there was quite good and reasonably priced. However, there wasn't much to see in the neigbourhood other than the railway station. And if you are looking for western style cuisine, the closest thing you can get would be from the department store across the street from the hotel.

Oh...and most importantly, if you want to travel to the city centre, it's not close. With Shanghai's traffic conditions during working hours, it's not going to be an enjoyable taxi ride.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
sam-xie, Chief Concierge at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2009

Thank you for staying with us in the Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista. Also thank you for your review on our hotel.

Concerning things to see in the neighbourhood it was better if you would have checked with the concierge desk. Because the neighbourhood of the hotel has more to offer than only the railway station.
The hotel is only a 5 minute drive away from the famous shoppingstreet Nanjing Road. Also in walking distance the neighbourhood offers the Jade Buddha Temple (1,5km),the Zhongshan Park shopping mall and the Suzhou River.

Regarding the western cuisine, the hotel offers a good quality western menu. If you rather eat outdoors you can walk towards the 'New Factory'. This building offers a diversity of restaurants (western and chinese)

If you, as guest, request any help concerning city information, just contact us at the concierge desk,

Regards,

Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed here as part of a Virgin holiday. I did wonder what it would be like as it was a holiday inn... It was fantastic! 4star accomodation grande lobby excellent food! Location was a little out of Shanghai but it didn't matter as the coach would pick you up in the morning etc so you didn't need to get about yourself.

I have some images and my own reviews at the following website
[-]

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Tiers07
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I was a tourist and the first 3 days of my 11 day visit to China I stayed at this hotel. It was booked by my tour agency. The only bad experience was at check-in . I had a confirmed reservation for a king bed and the hotel could not accomodate it. Also, i was a Holiday inn priority club member which usually is good for at least a free drink and sometimes an upgrade but not at this hotel . You may want to pay a few more bucks and ask for a deluxe room on their executive floor. There is an exercise room and lounge access if you do. I was booked into a standard room on the 10th floor which although a bit small was acceptable as it had all the necessary amenities and everything worked. There is construction going on behind the hotel and the hotel itself is on a busy street so you want to book a high floor.

Breakfast was included and the food quality was quite good. Service was excellent at the restaurant. They even allowed us to have breakfast early one day when we had an early call on a guided tour.

One thing to keep in mind though is that around rush hour this hotel is a longish though not too expensive cab ride to the downtown Shanghai area .Most of the tourist attractions are located in around the Bund and Nanjing Road where the more pricey hotels are located. The nearest fine restaurants to the hotel are a 20 minute cab ride away in an area called Xin Tiandi in the French Concession. Pricey by chinese standards but well worth the visit .

For those of you who arrive with lap tops you will encounter sticker shock at this hotel. Expect to pay $13 an hour for internet access.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamusaba
Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here with our 7 month old baby for 5 days. It was clean and safe and there were some places to eat nearby. As we had the small one with us we ate in every night in the hotel chinese restuarant which was superb (although overpriced by Chinese standards) as long as you were the only people there. When there was more than 2 tables the service became chaotic. Breakfast was a good buffet selection. Rooms were clean but not spotless and I did worry about the poor fish in the bowl.

Downside is the location. Shanghai is not pushchair friendly so we were reliant on taxis which meant you effectively had to add a good hour onto anywhere you went as the traffic is so heavy. In saying that we never had a problem getting a taxi .
Checkout was also an interesting experience (again as in all Chinese hotels we stayed in) if you are in a hurry - do it the night before you check out.
Overall - fair price , for reasonable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank DrMo
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in their King Bed Deluxe Room. The hotel is decorated very nicely and the staff is helpful. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. The bed is soft and cozy. The bathroom has a nice rain shower head. I was surprised to find a small fish bowl on the desk with 2 colorful fish swimming around.

There are some restaurants and shops within walking distance from the hotel. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. A taxi to/from Pudong Airport runs about 180-190 RMB, which is a good deal considering it's 60 km away. Taxis to tourist areas run about 30 RMB each way.

I highly recommend this hotel if you want to stay somewhere comfortable and upscale without spending a lot of money.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank IntlSalesGuy
Reviewed 9 June 2008

This was my return visit, stayed there for 3 nights on arrival to Shanghai/China. My previous stay was in May last year. My reasons for returning was because it was a rather pleasant hotel, comfortable, clean, efficient and friendly staff, and its location. However, in my opinion, some of the early rave reviews on this website grossly over rated this hotel. I would say it is a solid 3.5 star Holiday Inn. It is slightly out of the way from business/commercial area, or from a metro station but they are only short taxi rides away and taxis are very cheap. Its locatition on the Northeast of the city makes it very convinient for the Shanghai railway station, Shanghai Hongqiao airport and reasonably convinient for the Shanghai South Bus terminal.

Note that while the hotel is next to a main road with plenty of taxis passing by, the hotel entrance is on a side road with no taxis at all, and hardly any taxi queue at the hotel for businss. A few who do only want to pick-up long distance fares like airport etc. Hotel doormen often have to go to the main road to wave for a taxi, but I fond it was a lot easier just do it yourself by walking to the main road. Another note is this hotel seems to have one of highest internet charges in China. 24hr charge is 115Y, while most other hotels in China in my experience, internet is free or at a nomila cost. Thankfully they also have a hourly rate of 10Y. Another note is for those previliged to use the executive lounge, the lounge is dispproportionally small and stark for the of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo