“Excellent stay, great service, ok location”

Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista
Ranked #113 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Amsterdam
“Excellent stay, great service, ok location”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Last May I stayed in this hotel for a short business trip to Shanghai. My company booked the hotel so I did not really know what to expect. Because it was a Holiday Inn I did not had that high expectations for my stay.
But my stay was excellent. The hotel is not like the old Holiday Inn's. It's totally refreshed and gives a trendy and fresh welcoming upon my arrival.
The rooms were very nice. I booked a Kingsize bedroom and it was big enough for me. Especially the bed and the rainforest shower were something really enjoyable.
The location of the hotel is ok. I prefere staying in a hotel located in the city centre, next to all the good restaurants. This hotel is located about 10/15 minutes from the city centre, still not that much for a huge city like Shanghai.
Everyone in the hotel was very nice to me, especially the concierge staff because they did a really good job in providing me a list of the best possible restaurants in the area. Also my transportation back to the airport was arranged smoothly.

To be short.. Great hotel, great service, ok location and one very satisfied guest!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
china
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Milk and biscuits to be provided in tea making area

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Kobe Japan
Reviewed 3 May 2009

When I come to Shanghai, I frequently stayed this hotel. Because our Chinese staff lives near this hotel, and he has to pick me up early in the morning.
First stay was in around 2005, when may be just the hotel opening. At that time hotel service and facilities had not been organized well, for example shower didn't have hot water for example and Chinese hotel clerk had only Chinese service and American manager was scolding them loudly.
Even thourh it became somehow better and better recently except thin wall between rooms, I had several uncomfortable incident at this hotel.
When I checked in this hotel, hotel clerk suggested me to upgrade the room in exective floor. I agreed her suggestion and stayed the room one night. However, I couldn't sleep the night due to terrible noise of air conditioner. I complained the hotel clerk next morning and changed another room. She had no apology about this complainment. Only she showed her frustration to me.
When my travel schedule was shorten and I asked the hotel clerk to change my stay, she locked me out my room. I could understand she might miss the computer operation, but she had no aplogy when I complained the incident.
After this visit, I got their finishing blow when I got my credit card bill. They made double billing to me.
Fortunately, Holiday Inn have local service office in my country, and I could negotiate with the local service desk. They solved this issue promptly.

I got some lesson with this experience. I may still keep using global brand hotel even though it is higher cost. Because I can get local support if I got a trouble with the hotel in abroad. Another lesson is that I never stay Holiday Inn Vista Shanghai any more.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank glocal_business_man
mandy l, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista, responded to this review, 12 January 2016
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista. Feedback like yours is very valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectations. We will put focus on solving your concern accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again. Thank you! Sincerely!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 February 2009

I stayed here a couple of times during my business trips to Shanghai. The hotel has everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn. The hotel room was decent but furniture was a bit old. The chinese restaurant there was quite good and reasonably priced. However, there wasn't much to see in the neigbourhood other than the railway station. And if you are looking for western style cuisine, the closest thing you can get would be from the department store across the street from the hotel.

Oh...and most importantly, if you want to travel to the city centre, it's not close. With Shanghai's traffic conditions during working hours, it's not going to be an enjoyable taxi ride.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
sam-xie, Chief Concierge at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista, responded to this review, 2 May 2009
Thank you for staying with us in the Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista. Also thank you for your review on our hotel.

Concerning things to see in the neighbourhood it was better if you would have checked with the concierge desk. Because the neighbourhood of the hotel has more to offer than only the railway station.
The hotel is only a 5 minute drive away from the famous shoppingstreet Nanjing Road. Also in walking distance the neighbourhood offers the Jade Buddha Temple (1,5km),the Zhongshan Park shopping mall and the Suzhou River.

Regarding the western cuisine, the hotel offers a good quality western menu. If you rather eat outdoors you can walk towards the 'New Factory'. This building offers a diversity of restaurants (western and chinese)

If you, as guest, request any help concerning city information, just contact us at the concierge desk,

Regards,
shropshire
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed here as part of a Virgin holiday. I did wonder what it would be like as it was a holiday inn... It was fantastic! 4star accomodation grande lobby excellent food! Location was a little out of Shanghai but it didn't matter as the coach would pick you up in the morning etc so you didn't need to get about yourself.

I have some images and my own reviews at the following website
[-]

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Tiers07
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I was a tourist and the first 3 days of my 11 day visit to China I stayed at this hotel. It was booked by my tour agency. The only bad experience was at check-in . I had a confirmed reservation for a king bed and the hotel could not accomodate it. Also, i was a Holiday inn priority club member which usually is good for at least a free drink and sometimes an upgrade but not at this hotel . You may want to pay a few more bucks and ask for a deluxe room on their executive floor. There is an exercise room and lounge access if you do. I was booked into a standard room on the 10th floor which although a bit small was acceptable as it had all the necessary amenities and everything worked. There is construction going on behind the hotel and the hotel itself is on a busy street so you want to book a high floor.

Breakfast was included and the food quality was quite good. Service was excellent at the restaurant. They even allowed us to have breakfast early one day when we had an early call on a guided tour.

One thing to keep in mind though is that around rush hour this hotel is a longish though not too expensive cab ride to the downtown Shanghai area .Most of the tourist attractions are located in around the Bund and Nanjing Road where the more pricey hotels are located. The nearest fine restaurants to the hotel are a 20 minute cab ride away in an area called Xin Tiandi in the French Concession. Pricey by chinese standards but well worth the visit .

For those of you who arrive with lap tops you will encounter sticker shock at this hotel. Expect to pay $13 an hour for internet access.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Check-in staff could not or were unwilling to accomodate confirmed reservation requests
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jamusaba
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here with our 7 month old baby for 5 days. It was clean and safe and there were some places to eat nearby. As we had the small one with us we ate in every night in the hotel chinese restuarant which was superb (although overpriced by Chinese standards) as long as you were the only people there. When there was more than 2 tables the service became chaotic. Breakfast was a good buffet selection. Rooms were clean but not spotless and I did worry about the poor fish in the bowl.

Downside is the location. Shanghai is not pushchair friendly so we were reliant on taxis which meant you effectively had to add a good hour onto anywhere you went as the traffic is so heavy. In saying that we never had a problem getting a taxi .
Checkout was also an interesting experience (again as in all Chinese hotels we stayed in) if you are in a hurry - do it the night before you check out.
Overall - fair price , for reasonable hotel.

• Liked — waiting staff
  • Disliked — taxis to get anywhere
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family