“Poor Executive Floor Service”

Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista
Ranked #106 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
HK
“Poor Executive Floor Service”
Reviewed 4 December 2006

Overall the hotel is quite OK. The staff at the lobby are friendly and willing to help. The room is clean. The room cleaning maid is full of smile.

However, the whole pleasant experience could be stained by one of two service staff. Now the culprit this time are from the Executive Floor service desk: when I was told to check in at upper floor (I think it is 19/F), I went and I met poker faced staff there. (I wonder they might have sent the most terrible staff to Executive Floor so that they will only have limited damage there). I greeted her and said I would like to check in (it was Saturday afternoon around 4:00pm 19th Nov 06). She then tried to find my booking record (but without greeted me back, and not even invited me to sit while she sat comfortably in her Taipan chair....). I reserved a non-smoking floor and she told me I couldn't get it because all non-smoking rooms were occupied. But I booked the room one month ago. Anyway, I am a pretty easy going guy so I didn't bother.

The day after (Sunday) I went to the Executive Floor to have my breakfast in the morning. Again, I met another very "special" service staff. She didn't like to move a lot. The reason was "she had a bandage on her knee". So all her work was passed to a very polite and nice trainee. While this official service staff hide at the staff room kept talking, complained this and complained that, with the door opened. So every one eating breakfast there had to suffer from her big talk. This staff had no smile, no service attitude, not even want to see any guest in the Executive Floor. Alas, such a big contrast to the young and unseasoned trainee (another lady). I guess the hotel might have some management problem so even they could recruit the right people, they could not be trained to be nice.

A few days later, another drama. It was in a evening around 8:30pm. I went to Executive Floor with my friend to have a bit of chat of business. The service staff sat there was indeed dating with her boyfriend there. They were talking (argueing) so heatedly that they were smashing the table, shouting to each other. I would say even a 2 star hotel in China would not allow this happening. And now I am talking about an international chained reputatable hotel at its Executive Lounge.

I am indeed very very very disappointed.

• Liked — The Chinese restaurant at second floor
  • Disliked — Executive Lounge
  • Tips/Secrets — Try not to stay at Executive Floor
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank Hearttoosoft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 26 September 2006

There are a number of Holiday Inns in Shanghai and so one has to pay attention to the specific name of the Holiday Inn. This Holiday Inn Vista is kinda away from the hustle bustle of the Puxi downtown. Transportation-wise it is not exactly the most convenient (at least 10 mins away from the closest train station and almost an hour away from the airport, and that is if there are no jams on the highways). But exactly because of its exclusive location, one can see more of a real, local Shanghai instead of the heavily-invested, too-glam-to-be-true Pudong/ the Bund in Puxi. It has a good gym, good size pool (and I can't emphasize enough of the gentle sunlight beaming through the roof to land on the swimmers' back... what bliss), a good jacuzzi, a spa center, and good business facilities. The room size and deco are just right. Comfortable and worth the price.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank brightcindy
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 September 2006

I stayed there during a business trip for 4 nights in the Executive Floor. I found the other reviews a bit overrating compared to what I experienced. The rooms were clean and the rooms well furnished. The floor was not noisy and the beds very comfortable. The normal breakfast room was very crowded every morning and didn´t have enoght seats, especially at the beginning of the week. The breakfast was very good there. The breakfast in the business lounge was, however, very poor. The location is far from the main points of interest and by taxi it is about 15-20 minutes to the Bund and others, but taxis are cheap. There is a big electronic store right opposite the hotel and a Chinese shopping mall some 400 metres down the street, but the area is a bit boring, but safe.
I expected a bit more of the hotel, but overall the standard is good and it suits the business traveller´s needs.

• Liked — rooms were clean and well equipped
  • Disliked — massage and sauna facility for men only on the 3rd floor
  • Tips/Secrets — for business travellers only or for toursit groups who have a shuttle and bus available
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank Bobby1802
Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 August 2006

Highly recommended if you have limited budget but want to stay in a hotel with good service & atmosphere in Shanghai city. Not a resort type hotel that has a lot of facilities but it is a business type hotel instead. Only disadvantage is: need to take about 5 min's drive to the nearest subway station.

• Disliked — Location is not very convenient
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank keroro
New York
Reviewed 22 August 2006

We stayed here for three nights and overall were very pleased with the hotel. The Vista could pass as a 5 star hotel in terms of lobby, room decor, facilities, and breakfast. The pool is EXCELLENT- on the 21st floor, it's a large swimming pool (and you don't need your bathing caps here; can't say that for many pools in China). as well as an adjacent sauna. Most of the staff speaks English to the point where you won't need to know much Chinese. We loved the room's shower as well- in the area of a bathtub, you instead have a shower ring from the ceiling, plus a seating place to rest while you use the hand shower head.

Some of the other reviewers said that they missed breakfast- this is a huge mistake. The breakfast is more like brunch- an excellent array of food and drink is available. The food probably is more plentiful in terms of Asian cuisine, but there is a chef on hand to make western eggs, and I saw cereal, Bacon/Sausage each day. Unlike some hotels, there were at least 2 different hot dishes each day (some items are staples, while others vary). I strongly encourage you to have breakfast if you stay here (it was included in our package, which was a weekend rate that I found quite reasonable). Internet service worked flawlessly in our room- it was not cheap, I must say (1 yuan per minute, capped at 100 yuan for 24 hours).

This is not to say that the Vista is a perfect place. The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way, but a quick taxi ride brings you to the main tourist areas for a reasonable ($2-3 US?) price. We arrived at night, and our cabbie had some trouble finding the hotel (we had our driver call the hotel and get directions/ cross streets, which thankfully worked out well).

Room service was also so-so. The pizza was OK by American standards (at $8 US, it certainly wasn't cheap for this area!). The Singapore noodles we had were completely tasteless- shrimp, squid, other seafood all tasted the same. We ate dinner there once- it was not cheap, food was ok but nothing great, portions were tiny, and bottled water costs at 25-30 yuan ?!? We also were awaken at 7:30 by housekeeping on the first night - ouch; I guess we should have put the "do not disturb" out, but that was still early for a Saturday morning! Our mechanical latch was broken on the door, or at least it didn't seem to work. And

You can book this hotel at their website and get a good rate; they promise the lowest internet rates on their site and we found it to be true.

We would definitely stay here again if we came back to Shanghai. In the lobby I saw that the hotel won some sort of award for "Best Mid Level Business Hotel in Asia."- I would tend to agree. In fact, we were so impressed with this hotel that we stayed at another Holiday Inn in Beijing (Holiday Inn Downtown, which wasn't up to the Vista's standards but it was OK).

• Liked — Pool, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room Service, Hotel Restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — Book on Holiday Inn's website
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank AC2002
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2006

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Vista in mid-July 2006 for 2 nights. A pretty clean hotel, but a little less polished than I'd expected. The color scheme is a little strange both in the lobby and in the rooms. Our room smelled a little funny when we first entered--smelled a little bit like a cleaning solution. Not bad, just took some getting used to. The bed was just OK--not exactly a flat box spring like the standard Chinese-style bed, but not a comfortable mattress either. There was a comfortable topper and nice down pillows on the bed.

The room had cable with CNN, but the high speed internet cable was malfunctional in our room. We had to go down to the lobby to use wireless on our laptop, for which we paid a flat rate of 115RMB for a 24-hour pass. Not bad if you plan to use it a few times, but not cheap if you just want to check an email.

The staff were professional and did their best to accommodate every request we made. We had problems with the internet at about 11pm and a staff member called one of their IT team to wake them up and get a password for us to use their lobby wireless. We also asked for a room on a higher floor, and they did change us.

We didn't eat the breakfast, but we did try a dessert from the lobby bar. My husband took one bite and didn't take another after that. It looked sweet, but wasn't at all. You may expect that at a Chinese food court, but not at a western hotel.

The location isn't very convenient at all. It's a 10-minute taxi ride from the nearest subway station (which is Jing An Si). All of the other areas that a tourist would want to visit are a fair distance away by taxi, at LEAST 15-20 minutes everywhere we went. It's just not an ideal location if you want to see the Bund, Pudong, Yuyuan Gardens, the French Concession, and those types of places.

Overall, I would not stay here again for the rate we paid (about US$100 for a Deluxe room). I think there are more comfortable hotels with a better location out there for the price we paid. If you don't mind spending the extra time in taxis and you get a good deal on the hotel, it wouldn't be a bad place to stay.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank lonestar_traveller
scotland
Reviewed 26 July 2006

Very comfortable room with 2 good size beds. It was impeccably clean and contained all the little extras expected of a good hotel, including iron and board which wasnt always available as standard in chinese hotels.

The breakfast was excellent with a good range of western choices and the service was first class both in room and in restaurants.

One other poster mentioned staff rushing you, but I think they were just being so attentive that they thought they should clear the plates away as soon as you took your last mouthful. I found the staff very friendly and eager to practice their English! Overall I found the Chinese people to be very friendly.

Only downside is the hotel is a bit out of the way, but a 5/10 taxi ride takes you to all the major spots.

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2006