“Its a winner”

Ranked #108 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Montreal, Canada
“Its a winner”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The staff were great especially Sam the concierge and other members of his team

Had the oportunity to meet with the general manager Sharon whom was very nice and enjoyable to converse with

The location was just right as the hotel is located within a 5 minute walk from the line 7 metro which can wisk you to the sites within 20-30 minutes

Relatively easy to get to from Pudong Intl Airport (PVG) first by taking the Maglev (covers 30 klm in 8 minutes at 431 klm per hour) to the metro and from there via metro line 7 ..all in all about a 45 to 60 minute ride ... worh it considering Shanghai traffic

Breakfast with just great

Indoor pool on the top floor received and A mark from my 2 children

Well worth the value and a look at when booking for business or leisure

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MSQ0612

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Japan
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This is a great value choice. As many people have said, the main drawback of this hotel is the location: the hotel itself is away from the main areas but the Changshou Rd. subway station (Line 7) is a five minute walk away and you can get anywhere you want to go very easily. The Expo site is on this line and the Maglev station is also on the same line so access from the airport is easy too.

The rooms are very nice; there's a comfortable bed, a great shower and a good TV with a big selection of channels.

The staff were nice; especially the pool and restaurant staff. A nice lady on reception (sorry didn't get her name) gave us a couple of extra hours to check out so we could relax until it was time to leave for the airport. They were efficient and there were no troubles at all in our stay. The buffet breakfast is pretty good too.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
BC
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Top marks to the management and staff of this hotel. We stayed for 4 nights and frankly I couldn't come up with anything to complain about. Staff are professional, friendly and enthusiatic. The hotel is away from the main tourist & shopping area ( Nanjing Rd East, the Bund and Pudong financial district) . However, the subway system there is quite eleborate. It is about 8-10 minutes walk to the Changshou Rd subway station, from there it connects to pretty well everywhere. Subway is very inexpensive, ticket machines are billingual (Chinese/Engliish) and so are signs and pa announcements. Taxis are everywhere and cheap. There are shops close by the hotel that cater mostly to locals. Try out the steam buns from the small resturant next to the hotel they are very good. Food and service in the hotel restaurant was very good, but as your might expect, cost many times more than resturants outside. Over all a very nice place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Chennai
Reviewed 22 June 2010

It was a very pleasant stay I had in Holiday Inn Vista at Shanghai as rooms were
spacious and most importantly the king size bed provided was very comfortable.

Overall a very memorable experience and continental complimentary breakfast offered
was excellent !

Your hotel already recommended to my colleague

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Kalibo, Philippines
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at the executive level with lounge access. The room is clean and roomy. The hotel staff are so helpful with everything especially the concierge. Location is not a problem, taxi in china is so cheap. My daughter enjoyed the warm pool.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Talisker1227
Sussex
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I knew I had to move from the Pullman Skyway since they had increased their prices due to the Expo 2010. Luckily I found the Holiday Vista here in trip advisor and my chinese work colleagues confirmed that it was a good choice. They said that it had been recently refurbished and that I should try it. I'm glad I followed their advice. I must clarify that I signed up to the Holiday inn loyalty programme when I did my booking online so I got a good price. In addition, I was upgraded to a club room when I arrived because they were overbooked (a good sign). I did not get to use the Club benefits but my room was very good: clean, spacious, large bed, good size bathroom with all modern amenities and a good desk to work. On top of the desk there were two fish in a small fishbowl which I thought was oddly cute (ok, mostly odd). However it did provide distraction when the internet went down. One of my complaints is that the internet keeps on losing connectivity. I mentioned this to the management but they just told me "that's the way it is". Don't get me wrong, they were not rude, but they gave me the impression that they have tried to solve this issue and somehow they had not managed to find a lasting solution. That is a mystery to me, since internet seems to work fine in other hotels...Let me get to the good bits: room service was great. For half the price of what I would have paid at the Pullman Skyway, I got double the portions and better quality. You can do the same test: I just ordered the same thing in both hotels: A steak and a ceasar salad. In the Holiday Vista, I had a full meal at a very reasonable price. At the skyway I got basically a snack and it set me back as if I had gone to an expensive lobster dinner. Other good things at the Vista: the gym is very well equipped with several treamills, weight machines, cross trainers, mats, medicine balls, etc. There are also lockers and an indoor, heated pool where you can do laps. For me, having a good gym in China is very important since you can get too complacent with all those work dinners. This is a GOOD gym. Breakfast is nice, nothing to write home about but you have everything you need: fruit, eggs, toast, asian breakfast items (japanese, chinese and korean), juice, cheese, ham, etc. The fact that breakfast is included in the room price makes it even better. I don't recommend the Chinese restaurant for dinner, I found it overpriced and salty. You've been warned. The concierge was fantastic at getting you taxis and difficult, obscure addresses in chinese for the drivers to read. Sometimes the drivers didn't know where the restaurant was (I do like obscure yunnan, sichuan and guizhou restaurants) and the concierge would go back to the computer/phone and find exactly where it was and provide a printout for the driver. Brilliant. I also should thank Stanley, Sharon and Michel for always looking out for me when I was in the lobby reading the papers and drinking my dietcoke on my own. All three of them were quick to put things right if something was missing or if I needed that little extra that would make my stay better. The Vista is good when you are working and if you don't need that extra 'romance' factor (it isn't a romantic hotel at all). It is friendly, business friendly but also family-friendly. When I finished my work, I moved out from the Vista and went on to a more romantic hotel in Shanghai to spend some holidays with my husband. The name of that romantic hotel is The Puli, and I shall be reviewing it shortly!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Poshonashoestring
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 19 May 2010

1. Internet does not work or works very slowly.
2. Aircon does not function --- 26 degrees is what you will get. And they say it is because of government regulations. Hard to believe.
3. I ordered a feta cheese healthy grilled vegetable sandwich ( i am a vegetarian so have limited menu choice) and it came without the feta cheese.

You wonder how many things can go wrong in one night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
sam-xie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Shanghai Vista, responded to this review, 25 May 2010
Dear VFM Traveller, thank you very much for your review and feedback about your recent stay. I review these constantly and take very seriously the comments from our guests and I was most concerned about your experience, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. I was very pleased that our Executive Assistant Manager had been in touch with you during your stay and we were able to move you the next day and upgrade you to a Suite with the airconditioning working well for the remainder of your stay. Our apologies for the faulty airconditioning in your first room. Our Chief Engineer has carried out a full maintenance of that room and corrected the situation. Also my apologies for the sandwich and lack of Feta, which of course we did not charge you for. I hope that the remainder of your stay went well and you were comfortable, My personal apologies again and if you are returning to Shanghai we would be delighted to have you stay with us, please dont hesitate to contact me personally. Thank you again.

Yours sincerely