“For the Price, Service should have been much better”

InterContinental Shanghai Pudong
Ranked #40 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 4 May 2014

To start, the hotel entrance is on the side of the building, there are no lights lighting the passage to the hotel and it gets worst when it gets dark, there is no passage for people to walk in so if you are walking back to the hotel you have to be careful of the car turning into the hotel behind you.

Now When i read the reviews of the hotel that went on and on about excellent staff, which I think they couldn't keep up with staff, the thing they lagged most was to smile, it felt like there was no connection.

Rooms were okay, bit small for club level rooms, my AC didn't work well, i complained and they brought be a fan, they left a note in my room next day with a small token that they fixed my AC but same night I had to call them again and then just gave up that it could have been fixed.

Overall rooms were good, everything was plush and amenities were excellent.

Breakfast had a good variety of things, but staff there as well was not up to the mark.

I guess most disappointing part was the entrance of the hotel which made everything follow.

Will I stay there again? Will for the money I paid, I don't think so I will

1  Thank Khurram-Dubai
mirandali, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us about your feedback. It is with great concern that we learned you did not enjoy your stay experience with us.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. The services you have received are totally not acceptable, and we take it as constructive criticism and will strive to do better and seeking for further improvement in future.

Thank you for your compliments about our room amenities and breakfast food variety. We do receive a lot of great comments related to our breakfast. We hope you give us another opportunity to extend the true InterContinental service that you can expect as loyal IHG guest.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shanghai Pudong

Reviewed 30 April 2014

check in no club floor access given as platinum ambassador for standard room … breakfast already close 10:00am … worst is the noise level from road around the hotel is like sleeping on the it … location ok … room good like expected

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bumsii

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and share with us about your stay experience. It is with a great concern we read that you did not receive the right level of service.

As a platinum ambassador member we are grateful for your loyalty, and we do provide additional benefits such as room upgrade to next category including fruit amenities, late check out till 16:00 etc. Unfortunately club lounge access is not a part of the platinum ambassador benefits. On the other hand we are glad to read that the room upgrade we have selected for you meets your expectation.

Again thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you back in near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Everything was very clean and well-decorated. The extra amenities in my room (razor, toothbrush etc.) and free bottled water were appreciated. Beds and pillows were comfortable. bathroom is extra large and products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) were good quality. A great city view from my room and the 24th floor club level lounge. Upgrade to the club level didn't cost much more and I fully took advantage of the included drinks and food. The evening happy hour has so much food that we didn't need dinner several nights. The bar downstairs is also nice and has a free pool table. Drinks are expensive (as in most hotel bars). There is a big mall, food market and restaurants within a couple of blocks. There were mostly adult business travelers at the hotel, but I would definitely stay here with my kids. They would love the HUGE breakfast buffet (everything from sushi to eggs benedict) and they'd have the pool almost all to themselves (business travelers rarely swim).

Room Tip: Upgrade to club level and enjoy the free drinks and food on the 24th floor in the evening. You'l...
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel has a lot to offer and the 24 hour gym is well-equipped for a hotel. The breakfasts were excellent and there was always plenty of choice. I can highly recommend the poached salmon which I had delivered to my room. Although a large hotel, you never had to wait long for a lift (elevator). Staff were always helpful and friendly. A good place to stay.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I had to find a place to stay for a long business trip and chose this hotel for several reasons: located near shopping areas and many great restaurants, only 8 minute walk to the Century Ave. subway (3 lines), reasonably priced compared to many other downtown Pudong international hotels, ability to book a Club level room, and good reviews on TripAdvisor. Overall I made a great choice. After being here for nearly 5 weeks I will be happy to be back home but sorry to leave Shanghai thanks in part to this hotel. As other reviewers have noted, the Club lounge staff is wonderful. I have spent many evening hours in the lounge enjoying the happy hour(s), the music, and especially the conversations with the staff when they are not too busy. They always take the time to have at least a few words with me which is greatly appreciated when travelling alone for an extended period. They are all very well trained, very professional, and very friendly to every guest - even to those I'm sure they would rather kick out! Other staff I have interacted with have likewise been very friendly. The Oriental House restaurant in the hotel has very good food and also very good service. Highly recommended hotel!

Room Tip: Club rooms are very nice and those not on Zhangyang Rd probably have a little less street noise duri...
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The whole stay is marvelous. As long as I walked in to front desk, i was greeted by Cherry (or Sherry?) , recognizing me as Royal Ambassador. The room is spacious and gorgeous. The Lounge is not big, but the food quality is among the highest standard.
Overall a must stay while you are in Shanghai.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Traveled to Shanghai for business and stayed at the Intercontinental. Upgrading to a club level room is recommended, as this includes an amazing breakfast buffet every morning (with options to suit many tastes), a more spacious room, and a cocktail reception (with buffet) each evening. The location of the hotel is central to some shopping and restaurant options, and other sites are a short walk or taxi ride away. We were able to take an evening ferry boat tour (with help getting tickets from the concierge at the hotel), as well as a trip to Yu Garden. For business travelers, the club rooms include a spacious desk, comfortable bed, and reliable WiFi connections. I will return to this hotel on my next trip to Shanghai, whether for business or vacation.