“Not recommended (also note: construction noise)”

Jin Jiang Tower Hotel
Ranked #116 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Not recommended (also note: construction noise)”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

First of all, for those of you who are planning to stay at this hotel in the near future - do not do it unless you need/want to get up really early in the morning...There is a big construction site right next to the hotel, and they start the work at 6.30 am. After that, it is absolutely impossible to continue sleeping. My room was facing the construction site, so the noise was awful. Maybe it is better on the other side, so if you DO stay at Jin Jiang, ask for a room that is on the other side.

Having said that, there was other noise as well. My hotel room wall was so thin that I could hear the person next door snoring (this was before the construction noise). It felt as if there was no wall between us at all. Very unpleasant. However, I am a light sleeper, so maybe this wouldn't bother those of you who sleep more deeply.

My colleague got an upset stomach after the hotel breakfast, which is quite worrying. I was ok (didn't have breakfast, but had dinner), although the food at the hotel certainly wasn't anything to celebrate.

Otherwise, this hotel is ok for a Chinese hotel. Don't be fooled, it is NOWHERE close to five stars, or even four in international terms...max. three. Rooms are large (I got an upgrade though), my bed was clean and the room tidy overall, but the room was quite worn down and the corners of the bathroom were moldy. The internet connection worked surprisingly well.

Before I arrived at the hotel, I enquired about getting a hotel car to pick me up from the airport. I never got an answer from them at all, so can't say that the service would have been good...However, the reception staff were efficient and spoke good English.

Room Tip: While there is construction work ongoing next to the hotel, ask for a room on the opposite site.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Jill W, Public Relations Manager at Jin Jiang Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time for bringing this to our attention and I feel very sorry about your unpleasant experience.

It must have been frustrating to get bothered by the noise in room. I also understand how disappointed it is when you didn't get any answer on the demand of limousine service. I have addressed all the problems seriously with my team. Your suggestions will be well-noted, as we are always trying to recognize what our guests value most. I truly hope this inconvenience caused would not damage your impression on the Jin Jiang Hotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alkmaar
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Jin Jiang Tower usually is one of the cheapest 5 star hotels in Shanghai center, and while not up to the standard of other 5 star hotels like hilton etc., you get good value for money. Rooms are large and well equipped, service is ok and in the 7-8 times that I've stayed here over the past two years, I have received a room upgrade quite a few times. Breakfast is good too, and location, close to huaihai road is just excellent.

Only downside is a bit of slow internet connection, and what pissed me off a few times this year is that the gym and sauna have been closed for over a year; with every time the re-opening date getting postponed. They don't mention this on their site, and once I send an e-mail to enquire about it before booking, but I never got a reply. I don't know if it's reopened (they used to have a very large Japanese style hot bath and jacuzzi) now though.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

To be a Chinese hotel the staff speaks english.

The breakfast buffet offers both Chinese and Western options, which allows you to try each one if you like.

There is Wifi in all common areas and in the room, which usually Chinese hotels have only ethernet cable.

Room service is available 24 hours (I do not recommend the sandwiches) but the fries where good.

A lot of nice little stores, bars and restaurants around the hotel for a local nightlife experience of Shanghai.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Paris
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have stayed here a few times and the room are very good. They are refurbishing the revolving restaurant but they have opened a new restaurant on the ground floor.

My only real criticism of the hotel is that the check in and check out always takes a long time.

Hotel is handy for one of the mainshopping streets, which is just round the corner.

Room Tip: The other point is that you need to remember to specify a non smoking room, if you want one, when yo...
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Jin Jiang Tower Shanghai. Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post your review of your most recent stay with us.

I am grateful to know that you enjoy the facilites and location. We will take your comments regarding the check-in and check-out experience into further consideration for our improvement. We are always pleased to know what our guests value most!

Please know that we would be eager to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future. I hope that we have the opportunity to having you back at Jin Jiang Tower Shanghai!
Suzhou, China
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The location is definitely good, with short distances to great shopping areas, bars and restaurants. Also, the views from the room and restaurant in the hotel are great at night. Also, I got a deal, with two nights for two people at a price lower than the hotel's competitors. And, the distinctive tower makes it easy to find your way back (and hard for any unscrupulous taxi driver to take you the wrong way).

But, one of the reasons I booked this room was for the views over Shanghai in the 'revolving restaurant' on the top floor. We got to the top floor only to walk into a dark room with a sign saying that the restaurant was being renovated. So, no revolving for us.

Then, we went down to the ground floor restaurant, but the good looked pretty unappetising. Fortunately, we found a great place nearby for that first night.

Then, on Sunday morning (9am) the pneumatic drilling started. Again, we'd been given no indication that this would happen. At first we thought it was from the building site across the way (oh, yeah, there's a building site across the way...), but it seemed to be coming from inside the building. Presumably, it was the renovation of the revolving restaurant.

So, we left early, fed up of the noise.

As others have mentioned, the rooms are also a little tired looking, but made up for by the views.

If you book, make sure you ask the right questions. (And, don't go on to the internet in the hotel without following the procedure they tell you about - I tried to connect to an available network, thinking that it was the right way of doing it, and that same day my Gmail account fired off 30 emails to my contact list asking them to click on a link...somewhere in Iran is a server with my email password on it).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tractarian76
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2012

No complaints about the hotel, nice room, good service, great breakfast, only problem is you have to pay for the wifi, with is a bit pricy, considering all the lower price backpackers i normally stay at have free internet for guest. the hotel seems to allow working girls to operate within the hotel, nightly i had call girl cards put under my door, and was approved by girls for hire in the lobby, with a very dodgy guy standing not far away watching. so beware and don't by your self any trouble. out side of that the hotel is a nice place in a nice area of Shanghai

1 Thank Steven M
Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I booked this hotel through my agent in Hong Kong. I stayed with my colleague for a total of 3 nights. Location is great as it is on Changle Lu and is close to my favourite Museum of Indigo block printing (Changle Lu No 637) However, the first thing I found was there was no free wifi. I called the front desk to ask what has happened and what he said was that the Hong Kong agent was to be blamed as they had encountered many cases like this already. I told him he should reflect the problem with the travel agent to avoid future misunderstanding of other hotel guests, he responded to me coldly that there was nothing that they can do. In general, the staff here did not have good knowledge about the things around the area. For example, there is s free shuttle bus to tour around Shanghai nearby and we tried to ask them but all they told us was there was nothing like this. I am glad that we were adventurous enough to find it out by ourselves and had a really good ride. Plus the staff was not polite and professional as they always "huh" to us and showed unpleasantness when I asked them things.

• Stayed April 2012