“Classic building at good location”

Jinjiang Shanghai Jing'an Hotel
Ranked #640 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I returned to this hotel in May'14 after missing it for many years. Next to its main entrance, hanging a stone plate which stated this building was built by Elliot Hazzard in 1925-1934 and named as HAIG COURT. It is a 9 stories building integrating Spanish and Art Deco styles. It went through quite a major interior renovation to upgrade its amenities. But the structure remains the same, and the rooms are with high ceiling. There is a plot of green garden in front of the hotel which is quite rare in that location. The bigger Jingan Park and Jinan subway station (Lines 2 & &) are within walking distance. I paid RMB500/night for a big king-size bed room with breakfast. It is a good deal considering its location. Breakfast is good too.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the garden.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Jinjiang Shanghai Jing'an Hotel

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is a heritage building and located in between the Hilton Hotel and Shanghai hotel. It is about 7-8 minutes walk from the Jingan Temple subway stop. This stop is just one stop away from Peoples Square and Pedestrian street. The room size was decent and we got a garden facing room. There is a garden in the hotel complex. The breakfast was quite ordinary but the service in the breakfast room needs to be pulled up. The 2 ladies who were looking after service during breakfast were more interested in talking among themselves rather than looking to the needs of the guest. The spread was limited. Also the service at the reception was "cold" which however I would attribute to the language problem. There is no free wifi in the hotel. You have to pay for the wifi connection which is available only in the room. We paid 38 RMB for 24 hours. However with the connection many of the sites could not be opened. In the fitness centre only one odd machines are working. Though in the fitness centre there is an indication of Steam/ Sauna, however on inquiring we were told that it does not exist. There are several eating joints and shops around the hotel. Infact there is an indian restaurant just 2-3 min walk from the hotel. Though the rates there were on the higher side, the food there was delicious. After almost 10 days of the local cuisine it was a welcome break.
Though the location of the hotel is good but do not expect too much in terms of service and facilities at the hotel

Room Tip: The garden facing room on higher floor would be good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I notified the hotel that I would be checking in late around 2am and that to keep my room as I was stopping for 9 nights. Guess what I arrive at the hotel at 2am, give them my passport, fill in all the details, takes about 10 minutes then get told, sorry we have no rooms, please go to our sister hotel Shanghai Hotel around the corner. Pick up my things, walk the 5 minutes around the corner, take the 10 minutes to check in again showing passport again... Super tired just want to go to bed.
Next morning go back to Jing'An hotel, receptionist doing some paper work so I ask if she is free to check in, "Yes but please be quick". Ok then!

The rooms are not bad, dated but not bad for the price. Location is good for me so happy to suck up the service which sucks. I dont know why they bother putting people on the door as they don't do anything and dont open the door or help get a taxi.

During my stay I never bothered getting the buffet breakfast which was included on my deal, however on the last night of my stay my wife joined me in Shanghai and wanted to have breakfast so I decided to join her thinking maybe they would sway us on having 2 breakfasts as a one off. "Bu Xing" Not possible, really? ok then. I can understand this, just tell me its against hotel policy and sorry they can't do. But to be told its impossible to do when more than likely it is after 8 nights without taking a breakfast there... Anyway.

Would I go back? No, there are so many hotels in Shanghai in equally good locations.
Don't bother with this one, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kaikai88
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We decided that during an 8 days stay we would rather save money on the accommodation to spend more on activities etc. We shouldn't have.
We stayed in the old hotel and it was depressing.
Firstly the service. I do not expect anyone in china to speak English however I would hope for a certain level of service . The door and desk staff have the overall attitude of 'I simply cannot be bothered ' miserable and unhelpful is an understatement!
The room- good size basic which we expected but clean and large bed. Our duvet however was permanently stained very badly. Which is not pleasant to see.
The hot water- I timed the length of time it took to come on ,out of interest on day 5- nine minutes . The tv- I don't come away to watch tv but in the morning or evening whilst getting ready it's I'd like to watch a bit news. So It turned on but impossible to change channels or volume. Pointless .
Despite specifically asking for a room away from the lift. We got one directly opposite and also next to the laundry room AND the hallway speaker that constantly plays music 24/7!
One morning woken by 100+ chairs being dragged along a
concrete hallway!
Do not order breakfast! Freezing cold on arrival- the bar is horrific and shoddy.
The location is ok and this and the cleanliness is why it doesn't get 1 star. It's 5 minutes walk to ji'an temple and park which is really beautiful .
Basically if you really don't care about service or a miserable depressing room. Go for it. It is cheap and you definitely get what you pay for

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a government run hotel....no frills...breakfast was not the greatest..I was the first down at 6am...all the food was cold and the pastries were stale. The room was comfortable and good location...close to many restaurants, bars, food markets , a park, mall and temple.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is located in the French Concession and within walking distance of good restaurants and a lovely temple. The hotel itself is adequate - nice size rooms but not huge and comfortable beds. The breakfast in the morning was also good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I and some friends who were with the Australian Embassy in the 1980's returned to Shanghai for a 25 year reunion. We all stayed at the Jing An hotel as it was where the embassy was based in the 80's. The staff were fabulous and made us very welcome. There were still a few people working at the hotel from the period and even recognised a couple of people we were with.
It was very inexpensive and perfectly positioned for the French Quarter and for shopping and only a short walk to the underground into the city.
Breakfast was limited but good as was the restaurant but there are many good restaurants within a ten minute walk of the hotel. he Hilton is right next door!
No pool or gym but if you are interested in the history of Shanghai it is an ideal base. The staff were really helpful and organised day trips for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room over looking the entrance.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends