“Luxurious Shanghai !!”

Ranked #21 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Bangalore
“Luxurious Shanghai !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I love Shanghai. A huge city, with so much to offer. Fashion brands from the west to the ever improving local brands. And fast food chains are a plenty over here. But those are all secondary to the local cuisine which is absolutely mouth watering. Added to this, you have a host of 7 elevens and other at-your-convenience stores to choose from. The city is divided in two halves. The old and the new. The new area is Pudong with some of the best modern architecture on display. Not a lot of action this side as it's the financial district ( money making area ). And on the other side of the Bund is the old Shanghai. Old only for namesake, everything on this side has a wonderful blend of Traditional China and Modern China. Plenty of places to stay, eat ,party, shop, etc. One such area is Zhongshan Park, and this is the area which is home to the New World Shanghai Hotel.

New World Shanghai Hotel is a brand that I had never heard of before and had only come to know about it on tripadvisor. The hotel is Dingxi Road, a corner property which faces a small shopping center on one side and the Zhongshan Park on the other.

Check in was a breeze. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by Jason. He escorted us to the 38th Floor where we had a private check in to our Premier Club Room.

Our room was on the 36th Floor which is the Residence Club floor. The room has two sections. As you enter, a kitchenette with a dining table and a small living area with L-shaped sofa and TV. A nice big window with a fantastic view of Zhongshan Park. To the right of the room is the bedroom with a King Size bed,TV, Dresser and Bathroom. The bathroom has a separate bath tub and shower enclosure. Another window next to the bed for a view of the park.

When we entered our room, there was a box of chocolates for us, Compliments of the hotel. Nice touch. Our room was spacious and comfortable. Everything was clean and tidy. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. I loved the fact that there was so much space in our room.

Since we had taken the Club Room, we were entitled to use the Club Lounge. Located on floor no 38, the highest floor, it's a nice private setting for a drink or meal with brilliant panoramic views of the park and city. we had our breakfast there for two mornings. Good spread. The spread was better at the coffee shop, Nong Cafe. Eat at the Club Lounge for exclusivity and privacy and the Nong Cafe for the spread. The Lounge had happy hours between 1700hrs and 1900hrs. Good time to have a drink while enjoying the views.

The hotel had a restaurant and lounge bar as well. Didn't try them as had enough options outside. The hotel also has a gym and a swimming pool. Sadly due the weather being bad, the swimming pool was closed. They also offered spa and salon services.

The location of the hotel was awesome. I read on this site that the location was a bit far from the city center. I didn't think so. The big big big plus, the Zhongshan Park Metro was right below the hotel. I mean it doesn't get anymore convenient than that in terms of transport. Shopping, eating, massage, convenient store, etc. you name it, it was there. And the metro in china is cheap. A single ticket from Zhongshan Park to the Bund area or Pudong area would be around CNY 6. Taxis also are inexpensive.

Our stay at this hotel was wonderful to say the least. All the possible amenities and luxuries one could expect from a five star property. Clean spacious rooms, an exclusive lounge, prompt and helpful staff and a very convenient location.

A special mention to Jason, who from the time we reached the hotel till we left was available to us for any of our needs. His suggestions were most useful. And he spoke very good English. Ask anyone on this forum who is visiting China, finding someone who can speak English in China is as good as finding GOD!!

There was one small blemish. I had to call three times for someone to come from the and get my luggage after check out. Finally I took the luggage down myself. I inquired again at the concierge who told me that the a flight crew was checking out so no porter was free. It's a reason, but not an excuse. I except better. But, had such a wonderful experience at the hotel that I can let that one slip up go.

Overall, a great trip to Shanghai and a wonderful stay at New World Shanghai Hotel. Cheers.

Room Tip: Spending the extra bit for a Residence Club room will be well worth it. High Floors and Facing the P...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear simon_manurulz,

Thank you for your recent enthusiastic Tripadvisor review! We appreciate your fantastic feedback and positive remarks about Shanghai and our hotel.

I thank you for your nice comments about our newly renovated Residence Club Rooms and Residence Club Living Room on the 38th Floor. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and facilities and thank you for your nice comments about our Associates and that you were not disappointed after reading the many positive Tripadvisor reviews.

Thank you also for the kind remarks about Jason Zhong. I am sure your observations will act as encouragement for him and Residence Club team of Associates to continue to delight our guests. We appreciate your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports.

I apologize for the luggage collection issue you experienced upon departure and will address this comment to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon and I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

Marcel van Mierlo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Exceptional service, fantastic hotel, great location, beautiful views from the club lounge, see the management everywhere even on labour day which was a national holiday. Food could have more variety in the club lounge but I guess that must be tough with such a wide variety of nationalities to cater to. Below an example of service.

Tip - google doesn't work like it does in the rest of the world for gmail, google drive etc. For all the high speed internet it's slow and very difficult when one is used to speeds elsewhere. So either get a VPN if you are on business.

We reached Shanghai not knowing some of the issues one has with access to various internet service providers which essentially crippled us as we had tons of data that needed accessing. We also quickly realised that being a long holiday weekend most of the key computer people at the hotel were away. First Vanessa at the business centre tried to help and then she put us on to Gene Zhu, the duty manager. Realising our predicament Gene stepped in rolled up his sleeves and tried every trick under the sun in order to help us. He went well beyond the call of duty and made absolutely every effort to make that data accessible to us over half an hour. Although he did not succeed the time he spent genuinely trying to help rather than many others who would have given us a polished excuse for not being able to do anything is the reason I am writing to you. In addition your staff in the club floor have been fantastic - every one of them particularly Jet. She should be called Turbo Jet! Also Keith the manager at the front office who handled our extension at this hotel after we decided to stay here for longer. Thanks all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Vsoods,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback and positive comments about our hotel.

I am grateful for the nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and friendly service. I also appreciate your positive remarks about Vanessa, Gene, Jet and Keith which will most certainly be shared with all and will act as encouragement for them and other colleagues to continue delighting our guests.

It was also my pleasure to meet you in person and thank you again for your constructive and positive feedback. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

I thank you again for your Tripadvisor contribution!

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

All the reviews before are right. This is a high quality hotel and great value! It's what you'd expect from a Westin or similar. Beautiful room, lobby and all the usual facilities. I didn't get much chance to look around the area but the metro stop is literally under the hotel and a nice park is across the road. Lots of restaurants and fast food around for a quick meal. Downfall is the room service menu is way overpriced. But hey the room itself is cheap!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear alacazam,

Thank you for the nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and convenient location, a comment that we hear all the time from our guests! They appreciate being right next door to three major metro lines and conveniently located between Shanghai's two airports and close to all major railway stations. We also get lots of positive comments about the area where the hotel is located, with plenty of restaurants and shops.

I am sorry that your found our Room Service menu a bit expensive but appreciate your comment that our hotel offers 'great value' overall. We now look forward to see you back here in the New World Shanghai Hotel very soon

I thank you again for your positive comments and Tripadvisor contribution!

Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed in the hotel for couple of times. Just on the top on Line 2 metro (exit 5). Opposite to the park which is suitable for nice morning walk. Near to many shopping centers .
Check in: Very efficient staffs and check-in and check-out is very fast
Room: The rooms are very good. Spacious and comfortable sofa.
Service: Very co-operative staffs, you can choose your rooms (if you need park view and high floors)
Food: Only took breakfast. Very good and good choices.
Verdict: Best choice in Puxi

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Chandramohan K,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review!

I appreciate your nice comments about our newly renovated hotel and facilities and thank you for your nice comments about our Associates and facilities.

Thank you also for your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I do business in Puxi, the hotel was nice, I especially enjoyed the service at Nong Cafe yesterday during breakfast. Not only did the staff attend to my every need, but the food was good too. Lastly, I just want to say that I will definitely be returning to this establishment for business lunches or a buffet every now and again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ian G,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback positive remarks about our hotel and hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also.

I appreciate your nice comments about our Nong Café and kind remarks about our helpful team of Associates and great quality of food.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

New world Shanghai Hotel has all the amenities of an upscale cosmopolitan hotel with a contemporary flair. It's location is a bit west of the city centre but that makes this an outstanding value, given the quality of the hotel and the ease of getting anywhere you want to go. Lord knows what you'd pay for a hotel of the quality on the Bund.

First, location. On the major East-west metro line (2, Green), Zhongshan Park stop. Go out exit 1, turn right and Dingxi Rd is about 50 feet away. Turn right again and the hotel is the first building you get to. You can take the Green Line from the airport to the hotel for about US$1. The Bund is 5 stations away, Pearl Tower is 6; Shanghai Museum 4. With connections the Yu Yuan garden and surrounding area is 5 stations away and Taiking Rd about six.

The hotel staff is excellent. Rooms are contemporary with very clean lines. The lobby sports a small bar, and a great area to enjoy outstanding teas. A bit pricey but top quality. The cafe on the second floor has a lavish dinner buffet for about 159 yuan. There's a fitness center with amenities.

Rooms are reasonably quiet. Excellent A/C but requires your room card to be inserted for it to be on. Took about an hour to cool the room in late April; might take a bit longer in June. Toiletries are great; water pressure and heat are excellent. Beds are super-comfortable. I unreservedly recommend for anyone wanting a luxury hotel but not needing that hotel to actually be on the riverfront.

• Stayed April 2014
MarcelvanMierlo, General Manager at New World Shanghai Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Vincent M,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review!

It's great to hear you had a positive experience in our hotel and agree with you that we are on par with some high end - famous brand - luxury hotels in this city. I am also glad to you enjoyed our newly renovated facilities and contemporary design.

We appreciate your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports. Thank you also about your comment about our value for money product in comparison to other luxury hotels, something that is echoed by many of our guests.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Travelled to China for the first time (on a family holiday) and was in Shanghai with my parents and sister. We were recommended to check out the New World Hotel and luckily, we struck gold. Given there is a Tube stop pretty much at the doorstep of the hotel, the hotel ends up being very nicely and strategically located in an area that is not far from all the main action. Shanghai is one large, chaotic and very lively city so the hotel with its neighbouring park somewhat felt like a nice little escape to call home for our time there. (The only disappointing thing was that my Dad and I didn't get to jog around the park seeing as there were renovations going on.)

Otherwise, the rooms were modern, clean and comfortable with large windows. We were also happy with the variety of food that was available during our stay. As for the staff, the service was great! A special mention goes out to a junior staff member who went by the name Lawrence. I normally prefer to consult with locals when I travel and am looking for exciting tips on places to see and things to do; but for a North American (Canadian, I think), he was very helpful and had some insightful ideas about how to make the most of our Shanghai visit as well as our stay at the hotel!

Keep in mind there is also a large shopping mall next door so that may be an advantage for many but the only thing I appreciated about it was that the Hotel was right next door so I was always happy to enjoy the home comforts (and the gym). Even though this hotel seems to host conferences and attract guests on business, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Shanghai as a family that has young adults for 'kids'. Hopefully you won't be there during the rainy season and actually get to take advantage of the pool though!

P.S: Sort out your wireless connection; it was very inconsistent.

Room Tip: Obviously; the higher, the better. Try and opt for a room facing the park!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear G K,

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! We truly appreciate your kind feedback positive remarks about our hotel during your first trip to China and hope your comments will inspire other guests to come try us out also.

I appreciate your nice comments about our newly renovated Residence Club Rooms and Residence Club Living Room on the 38th Floor. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and facilities and thank you for your nice comments about our Associates and facilities.

Thank you also for the kind remarks about Laurens. I am sure your observations will act as encouragement for him and Residence Club team of Associates to continue to delight our guests. We appreciate your observation about our convenient location right across the famous Zhongshan Park and on top of the metro station with three popular metro lines serving it and in between both Shanghai airports.