Room: I stayed at the River View Wing, which is supposedly the older wing but there is certainly nothing old about it. A very nice and spacious room with a nice view of the Bund. Bed is a comfy and king-sized, bathroom comes with both shower stall and bath tub.
Service: Good as usual, but this is Shangri-La so it's expected of it :)
Food: If the room and service is good, then the food is excellent. My room came with daily breakfast at the Yi Cafe, which has a huge variety of food. The dim sum station is surprisingly good (there was this pumpkin skin dumpling with lotus paste and a dot of red bean cream on top - yummy). Had lunch a couple of days at the Yi Cafe as well, and I enjoyed the taco station, the Indian station (pretty authentic), and once again, the dim sum station (the xiaolongbao there can beat the so-called famous Nanxiang one any time). Also worth a special mention was the desserts station - every thing I tried there was great, especially the rice pudding. All the little cakes there looked tempting and tasted great.
Guihua Lou (on the lobby level) serves pretty good food as well... and good dim sum once again! The xiaolongbao there was once again, fabulous (even better than the Yi Cafe one) with a delicious broth and thin skin.
Location: This hotel is located on Pudong, so it's distance if (and only if) you want to go to Puxi - but I didn't since I had been to Shanghai several times. Shangri-La is located next to the Superbrand mall (just cross a tiny little lane using a side entrance at the hotel - turn left after going down the stairs near Shanghai Tang). Superbrand mall has a nice variety of fashion brands and a good selection of food (xiaolongbao again! at Din Tai Fung... or there is this nice Shanghainese restaurant upstairs too). The hotel is opposite the IFC mall (be careful when crossing the road - cross when others are crossing, that's the safest) - but IFC mall features the likes of Prada, Miu Miu, Gucci, LV etc... you get the drift :)
It's also walking distance (about 5 mins) to the Pearl Tower, which is really pretty when lit up at night.
All in all, a wonderful stay and wished I could have stayed there longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Shanghai's preeminent hotel, Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai offers business and leisure travellers the perfect combination of comfort, service and convenience. Located on the Huangpu River in Shanghai's vibrant Lujiazui financial district, directly opposite the historic Bund, the hotel enjoys easy access to the city's most famous sites. Hongqiao Airport can be reached in just 35 minutes and Pudong Airport in 45 minutes.The hotel comprises a luxurious collection of well-appointed guestrooms and suites in two distinctive wings: the 577-room classic River Wing and the 375-room contemporary and exclusive Grand Tower. All rooms feature panoramic views of the Bund, the Huangpu River or Pudong's spectacular skyline.The prestigious Grand Tower provides some of Shanghai's most luxurious and spacious accommodation. It is also home to the Horizon Club, which offers guests the highest level of personalised service and attention. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pudong Shangri-La Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Pudong Shangri La Hotel Shanghai
- Shangri La Shanghai