“A good way to start or end your China trip”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #26 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This truly is a 5 star property. The service, food rooms, are all excellent. I can't think of a single thing to complain about, which is unusual for me, as I have quite a bit of experience in this field. The pool is very nice, service there was also excellent with the attendant anticipating my every desire. The restaurants are excellent. I particularly like the buffet with choices from all over the world. Great service here too. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: Check the rates on their web-site. I found a good 'special' deal.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,399)

Reviewed 15 November 2011

A true 5-star hotel.
Excellent breakfast buffet (although they clear it on the minute at 10:30).
Comfortable bar with smoking area and a great selection of teas.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was my first stay at a Shangri-La hotel. It was so wonderful, I'll be staying at a few more hotels for some upcoming trips. I loved the hotel itself, the service, the restaurants, and my room. The hectic nature of Shanghai disappears once you enter into the lobby. The room was also a wonderful oasis. Large and comfortable. As others write, the breakfast buffet can't be underestimated. It's really, really good. The spa is one of the best I've every been to in the world. Unlike other treatment rooms at spas, here you have your shower, changing room, bath tub, relaxation chair, locker/closet etc in one place.

Room Tip: One looking the river - it's a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My third stay at the Pudong Shangri La with the service and facilities consistent with previous stays. I would also recommend staying in the Grand Tower as the rooms are newer than the River wing. The staff are clearly undergoing enhanced customer service training as they were even more attentive but also proactively sought feedback on their performance (from my views on the room to the delivery of room service). I had a room close to the lifts, which was convenient but certainly no noise. In the future, I would request a corner room as the bathroom is more spacious, has a TV and city views from the tub!

Cafe Yi continues to provide what I would have to say is the best buffet in Asia for BFST and Dinner - such a wide variety of excellent meal choices and great value.

I can't fault the hotel - but great news in that in the past 12 months smoking has been outlaws in hotels which makes the visit even better.

The Day Spa - Chi is lovely but not worth the price list and service charge attached - cheaper to visit one of the many day spas close by and in the french concessionary.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger on each florr
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Being a great fan of Shangr-La Group, this hotel never disappoint me. I've stayed for 2 nights at the River Wing and the room have a great view of The Bund.

Service staff are well trained and provide excellent service. They speaks good English, attentive and helpful.

Hotel rooms are spacious, although it accommodates an extra bed in our room but it does't feel congested. You still have ample space to move around. I love the turn down service which they provide a pot of hot tea in which you can have a relaxing evening after a tiring day of sightseeing or meeting. Since i was booked at the Horizon Club Floor, we enjoyed the privilege access to the club lounge, another chill out place if you decided to stay in-house. Complimentary use of computers are available too, what surprise me is they do have an iMac too.

Although hotel is located at Pudong commercial area (surrounded with Financial buildings), there are also 2 malls for shopping Super Brand Mall & IFC) and the famous Oriental Pearl Tower is just 5 mins walking distance.

Thanks for the excellent services provided during my stay, you are always my first choice!

Room Tip: Would recommend to take the River Wing as the rooms are mainly facing The Bund.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2011

When I checked in to my room a lovely pot of tea was waiting. The breakfast buffet is *incredible*, there is literally a map to help you navigate all the stations and cuisines available. We ate dinner one night at the hotel and enjoyed it, especially some of the (more authentic seeming) specials. Great for business travel, but I would also enjoy it on a vacation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I've stayed at this hotel many times, most of the time for extended stays each time (> 2 weeks). The service here is excellent and all the staff are very nice and courteous. The property is located in a great spot, very close to the #2 subway line, right next to the Yangpu River and large mall/supermarket/food outlets. I don't personally do it, but my co-workers go out jogging on the bank of the Yangpu River. I stay indoors and stick to their indoor gym.
The Yi Cafe is really good with great selection. It is pricey though, with breakfast costing $250RMB/pp. Luckily, I am a Jade status on their hotel program so breakfast is comped.
Note that the hotel has two wings. The old wing, called River Wing, is right next to the Yangpu River and has spectacular views. The decor is more Asian style with neutral gold and pink color scheme. I've stayed at both, and prefer the new wing (Grand View wing). The new wing is more modern, with beech wood panels throughout and an oversized bathroom. My "complaint" about the old wing is that the bathroom is small and there isn't sufficient sinktop space for my cosmetics. Additionally, there is no bedside electrical plugs (to keep my cell phone next to me), no central light switch, and no music player. I know I've asked for alot, but typically 5 star hotels in major Asian cities come with alot more amenities than those in the US. I would almost say these are "basics." A new wing room cost about 250RMB more per night.

Anyhow, it is a great hotel and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go with a room in the New Wing (Grand) if you are ok with dishing out another $250 RMB/nt.
2  Thank Versailles79